F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drive belt idler pulley bearing failed @27,000 kms

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 02:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default drive belt idler pulley bearing failed @27,000 kms

Hi all, I had the dreaded check engine light come on when moving my car out of the driveway on Saturday. Turned the car off and on again, light was gone but had a low battery warning. This was strange as it went on a 200km trip the day before. I popped the hood and could hear a weird humming noise from the belt area. Long story short, roadside assistance came, could not get a fault code and said the car is ok to drive.... I wasn't convinced so waited until Monday and called the dealership. Dealership said don't drive it (after seeing the video of the noise) and sent a tow truck. Turns out it was a failed idler pulley bearing failing. Apparently the first one on an Ftype in Australia (yay, not!).

Total cost $1k to replace the part. A little pissed off because it should have been covered even tho the car is out of warranty. I wouldn't expect this to fail on a 4yo car with less than 30k kms

Anyway, just posting this in case anyone has a similar noise... apparently it could have been RIP to the engine if it was left.

Apparently the battery was a bit low and they charged it for me, could not fault the battery or alternator. Problem I have is I doubt the bearing caused the check engine light and this is unsolved as no codes.

Last edited by tietjens; 09-30-2020 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by tietjens
Hi all, I had the dreaded check engine light come on when moving my car out of the driveway on Saturday. Turned the car off and on again, light was gone but had a low battery warning. This was strange as it went on a 200km trip the day before. I popped the hood and could hear a weird humming noise from the belt area. Long story short, roadside assistance came, could not get a fault code and said the car is ok to drive.... I wasn't convinced so waited until Monday and called the dealership. Dealership said don't drive it (after seeing the video of the noise) and sent a tow truck. Turns out it was a failed idler pulley bearing failing. Apparently the first one on an Ftype in Australia (yay, not!).

Total cost $1k to replace the part. A little pissed off because it should have been covered even tho the car is out of warranty. I wouldn't expect this to fail on a 4yo car with less than 30k kms

Anyway, just posting this in case anyone has a similar noise... apparently it could have been RIP to the engine if it was left.

Apparently the battery was a bit low and they charged it for me, could not fault the battery or alternator. Problem I have is I doubt the bearing caused the check engine light and this is unsolved as no codes.
Highway robbery! No more than 30 minutes to do that job, and the part is available at any car parts store for less than $50 and interchangeable with dozens of car makes and models. Just reinforces the notion to seek indy service post-warranty.