F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive by noise for R

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 08:19 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Crikey, that's very loud

Although like some have already said it looks like it would be quite easy to trick/manipulate your way through

thanks for the figures guys

Old 01-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
At a race track, they don't typically pull cars aside and do a test.
This is exactly what they do on my local track. Consequently, failing sound test takes straight pipes. Still, you probably wouldn't be able to fail test if you tried with, for example, Miata .

"laguna seca exhaust turndown"
Very interesting. Why would anyone go to a track where they'd meatball for excessive sound many stock cars? If it is legal on the street to drive like that?

They also seem to run many official events, and I don't see how they'd comply with this limit. If you ever been around formula cars, they are LOUD.

Last edited by SinF; 01-26-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
They also seem to run many official events, and I don't see how they'd comply with this limit. If you ever been around formula cars, they are LOUD.
The organizations pay extra to exclude the sound restriction for the race weekend.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:05 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Noise is a tricky business. Many tracks have pre-dated the urban sprawl that now encircles them and the neighbours go after the noise.
Some track operators are permitted x # of events a year at a "loud"db level eg: special deal to 95 db from the "usual" 92 db.
Last track day at Mont Tremblant a Ferrari spec racer from NY ( approx 1200m tow ) was sent home for noise....the track mgmt are very concerned about noise....often not so much the track day organizer....so often noise is monitored at various spots around the track and so "lifting" at an appropriate spot each lap in not viable.
I've been to Watkins Glen and seem to recall noise being an active issue....certainly Laguna Seca is another.
I don't believe it is "easy" to beat the sound machine.....have seen everything from directional tips, pop cans, steel wool etc.
My last track day most folks loved the sound, loved the fury of the R...the closest neighbours are two hay farms and a dairy farm approx 2 mi from the track.
I want to go toMt Tremblant this Aug and now I'm getting nervous. Its an 800mi trip and I don't want to "spectate".
I think it is safe to say most tracks are now very concerned it's noise ....driver beware.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Pretty sad that a vehicle that is street legal in all 50 states and dozens of countries can't legally race on a closed circuit.....

Dave

Old 01-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

I got black flagged at pembrey when in my M5 (200 cell cats and straight through silencers) they told me i was twice as loud as any other car at 116db lol
They pulled me in, i did a static test which i cheated on and they let me back out lol

The following users liked this post:
RussV10 (09-14-2023)