Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver door window failure to drop on open

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 02:15 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default driver door window failure to drop on open

Any of you had this happen ?

Today, I opened the door, got it and tried to close it, then realised it was not closing right - and it was because it hadn't dropped the window the cm or so it's supposed to.

I had to turn car on, operate the window a bit, then close door.

It was the same when I arrived - opening door from inside didn't drop window so couldn't open door without forcing it over seals.

then when I'd manually put windows down a bit, I had to use the close all on the remote to lock car.

I turned car on and off a few times, and tried again and it seems to have recovered.

I'd thought the small dent/mark above the drivers window was due to a failed break in attempt when I purchased the car, but now I believe this is an intermittent failure to drop the window - as it's exactly where the window hits the A frame.

anyone else had this happen ? any idea if it's an easy fix ? I'd have thought it was a sensor or microswitch that just needs adjusting

Old 10-21-2016, 03:10 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

On several other Jaguar models, losing the window travel limits / auto drop memory is one of the first signs of a partially discharged or failing battery.

I'm not familiar with working on the F-Type but I'd be surprised if the window automatic drop and door latch designs differ from all the other recent models. Eliminate the window travel limit setting before going on to possible problems with door latch microswitches.

To reset the window travel limits, sit in the car with the engine running and doors closed. Drop the drivers window fully and hold the button a few seconds until you hear a soft click from inside the door. Raise the window fully and hold the button for a few seconds again until you hear the click. Repeat for the passenger door.

Graham

Old 10-21-2016, 03:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks Graham, sounds like good advice.

Certainly could be battery down - as it's all been short little trips in the dark - lights on, heated seats and windows on, etc, etc for the past 3 or 4 weeks.

I'll plug it in and give it a good charge tonight.

And also reset as you've outlined.

thanks again.

stu

Old 10-21-2016, 07:14 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

retraction of window is triggered by a microswitch in the door handle
mechanism (#16) . They are prone to failure .

regards
Ulrich

Attached Thumbnails driver door window failure to drop on open-schloss.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Dops (06-10-2024)