F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's door hits the front fender..anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Driver's door hits the front fender..anyone else?

I've noticed this twice, if I do a tight left turn into a parking area (More than 90 degrees) then open the driver's door it rubs the front fender and has damaged the paint on the leading edge of the door. Has anyone else experienced this problem? It only happens after the tight left turn.?

Old 02-18-2015, 05:35 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Confirm that the hood is closed squarely. Open the hood, then reach out to the middle near the windshield, and slam it. If you slam it from the slide, it can latch crooked and stay that way. Check the gaps in front of the door/A-pillar on both sides to see if they're the same.

One of the few useful things the dealer showed me.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Confirm that the hood is closed squarely. Open the hood, then reach out to the middle near the windshield, and slam it. If you slam it from the slide, it can latch crooked and stay that way. Check the gaps in front of the door/A-pillar on both sides to see if they're the same.

One of the few useful things the dealer showed me.
The correct according to the manual and most effective method in my experience of closing the hood/bonnet is letting it close until about a foot above closed and then drop it.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Jaguar has a video for the correct way to close hood. None of which has been mentioned yet.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by bjg625
Jaguar has a video for the correct way to close hood. None of which has been mentioned yet.
Link please?

Old 02-19-2015, 01:40 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

If closing the hood 'wrong' is the cause, I'd push hard for a warranty repair/paint (due to poor design). This is the 21st century, mechanical hood latches are 18th century for goodness sake...

Old 02-19-2015, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Philipintexas
I've noticed this twice, if I do a tight left turn into a parking area (More than 90 degrees) then open the driver's door it rubs the front fender and has damaged the paint on the leading edge of the door. Has anyone else experienced this problem? It only happens after the tight left turn.?
Three times in last 2-3 months after owning for almost a year. Seems to happen in bright sun. I have confirmed the hood is latched properly. I have assumed that expansion of the door panel and fender in the sun was the cause. I plan to have it looked at during servicing next month.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Diminiko
Three times in last 2-3 months after owning for almost a year. Seems to happen in bright sun. I have confirmed the hood is latched properly. I have assumed that expansion of the door panel and fender in the sun was the cause. I plan to have it looked at during servicing next month.

Interesting, I would add the first time this happened was after service and I hadn't opened the hood since the dealership closed it. Heat expansion shouldn't be involved, I live in TX and 100+ temps are normal, the last time it happened it was about 60 degrees. It seems to only happen following a hard turn to the left. I've never tried the other door after a hard right turn........??

Old 02-19-2015, 11:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
The correct according to the manual and most effective method in my experience of closing the hood/bonnet is letting it close until about a foot above closed and then drop it.
I found that didn't work reliably. I met up with a fellow owner, and discussed the method the dealer showed me. The other owner was skeptical, until I pointed out that his hood wasn't latched properly.

But as long as you check to be sure it's latched properly on both sides, then whatever works.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Philipintexas
Is the door catching on the panel above, or below the "power vent"?

If above, the hood is definitely something to look at.

If below, see if you can reliably reproduce the problem and take it to your dealership.

It's probably worth going there anyway to enquire about them fixing the paint.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:45 PM

I Will be taking it in for the recall, and at some point to have the chipped paint on the lower panel repaired. I will have the chipped door paint repaired then as well as have the problem "adjusted".

Old 02-21-2015, 04:44 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Link please?
Here it is, AnD3rew:

I was definitely surprised.

The following 2 users liked this post by ApolloBeachRetiree:
AnD3rew (02-21-2015), Unhingd (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
Here it is, AnD3rew:

2015 Jaguar F-TYPE: How To Operate Hood - YouTube

That is exactly the way the dealer showed me on handover, and he was at pains to be sure I understood, which struck me as unusual at the time, but I didn't enquire further as to why.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
T... which struck me as unusual at the time, but I didn't enquire further as to why.
Now you know why. The clam shell hood on my '84 vette had to be closed in a specific manner as well to ensure that it properly latched.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

My friends Lambo is the same.. he has trouble at times getting the hood latched on straight.
Larry

Old 02-21-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
Here it is, AnD3rew:

2015 Jaguar F-TYPE: How To Operate Hood - YouTube

Ethan's for that, it is essentially a better way of doing it the way I have been after reading the manual.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Diminiko
I am having the same problem. The car only has 700 miles and the door scrapes against the fender when it has been in direct sunlight. As the fender is part of the hood and it is hinged at the front, any expansion will move the fender back. It seems reasonable that an improperly adjusted hood could make contact when hot. I will get the dealer to check it - and also repair the damaged paint!

Old 06-20-2016, 08:54 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Make sure the hood is latched properly. If you slam the hood by pushing down on the side, it can latch in a skewed position, or possibly only one side latches. Check the gaps in front of both doors to see if they're even.

I close the hood by lowering most of the way, then reaching out and putting my hand in the center of the hood near the windshield, and slamming it.

You can also stand in front the car, with a hand near each hood vent, and slam it that way. But the gaps should be the same on each side.

If that's not the issue, your dealer should realign the hood.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:22 AM

It's not a problem with the hood closing. The door was adjusted to solve the interference, however it kinda catches on the latch as the door is closed and has to Lift slightly on the latch.. I'll have them try again at the next visit.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The clearance is definitely less on the driver's side - about 1/16" compared with more like 3/16". I tried several ways of closing the hood and the clearances did not change. I will have the dealer adjust it and I also expect the paint to be repaired.

I would not accept the way the hood gets closed as an explanation for this. Jaguar has to be able to design a hood that can be closed without needing special training!

Quick Reply: Driver's door hits the front fender..anyone else?