Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving a f-type cabrio 40.000km/year in Denmark

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving a f-type cabrio 40.000km/year in Denmark

Hey everyone!

I'm currently looking to buy a f-type capris/coupe to drive everyday to work, most days a year (about 40.000km/year). The danish weather is not the sunniest, and we have snowy winters. I have a Audi A4 for worst days, but would prefer a car I could use 95% of the year. Does anyone have experience with that kind of miles? Would a cabrio work at winther and would the commercial carwashes destroy it?

I really love the Cabrio version and would definitely prefer it compared to the Coupe, but if the cabrio is a no go I see no other choice.

Looking forward to hear from you all!

Bests,
Chris

Old 07-29-2016, 12:04 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Whynot!

I drove my coupe all last winter with snows here in Toronto. Only point to consider is that our cars are low, so clearance could be a problem if the roads you drive on aren't plowed very well. And for those days, if they are few, you can take the A4.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Lomholt
Hey everyone!

I'm currently looking to buy a f-type capris/coupe to drive everyday to work, most days a year (about 40.000km/year). The danish weather is not the sunniest, and we have snowy winters. I have a Audi A4 for worst days, but would prefer a car I could use 95% of the year. Does anyone have experience with that kind of miles? Would a cabrio work at winther and would the commercial carwashes destroy it?

I really love the Cabrio version and would definitely prefer it compared to the Coupe, but if the cabrio is a no go I see no other choice.

Looking forward to hear from you all!

Bests,
Chris
Hi Chris.

Nice to see someone else from the nordic contries here. Unfortunately I can't help you much with most of your questions, as I have a coupe, never wash it in a carwash and don't drive it during winter. But I don't think the F-type would perform any less than any other cab, and if you chose the awd, traction and driveability in winter weather should be problem free as long as the snow is not too deep. Being a full alloy made car is also a benefit considering salt and rust.

The F-type is a very easy and comfortable car to drive, so I am sure you will enjoy every minute in it.

Best of luck with whatever you deceide, and keep us updated.

Regards
Arne from Norway

Old 07-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I drive my vert 1000 miles / month. That said, when the weather turns snowy it stays in the garage - not because I don't think that it could handle it, but because I don't want my high $ sports car hit by some dope in an Accord with all season tires that has no idea how to drive in the snow.

It never sees a carwash.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:56 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I drive my V8S convertibles about 25,000km year round in Montreal, rwd with 245x19 snows on all 4 corners. Zero problems with the top or traction and didn't have any issue with getting stuck due to clearance, just know you'll be a snowplow. I had an issue with burning through 3 or 4 locking differentials but an engineer from the the UK came and finally find the problem as a corroded wire hidden behind the gas tank. Otherwise no problems!

Fun fact, the F-type doesn't seem to have a temperature limiter on the top, while my old S5 wouldn't operate under -15ºC. I've had the roof down at -25ºC in the F-type with the heat cranked, steering wheel heater and seat heaters on and it was comfortable with on a bright sunny day.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I think you will be fine if you have winter/snow Tires.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:42 AM
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Chris,

I am from Copenhagen, lived there most of my life until I moved to Pennsylvania 15 years ago. My V8S convertible has around 50,000 km on it now. I use it as a daily driver all year. In PA the summers are hotter and the winters are colder than in DK. If you don't mind sliding around a bit then you'll have no problems at all in the F-TYPE even in blizzards, as long as accumulation doesn't get above 1-2 inches. I drive Michelin PPS tires all year. The top on the convertible is great and hassle-free in all weather conditions.

If you want less sliding around you should perhaps drive nicer than I do, or buy a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS. RickyJay52 loves those tires, I believe he plows them through Maine most of the year.

I have been extremely happy with my F-TYPE. It is fun, fast, responsive, reliable, beautiful, just brings a smile to my face *every* time I drive it and the honeymoon has more lasting power than any other car I've owned, I've had the car for more than 3 years now. I also take it to the track once in a while, awesome to toss it around, and the exhaust is a crowd favorite every time!

I was in Denmark a month ago and noticed at least 30 Porsches around Strandvejen, Lyngbyvej, Charlottenlund. I didn't see a single F-TYPE! It's just more fun with a car that's different, go for it - you will not regret it!

Cheers,
Jakob

PS It is fun to drive, but it is not a "comfortable GT" type of car, so when you test-drive it, consider whether you are ok with "feeling 40,000 km of road" per year. I have no problems with that at all, but I only drive about 15000 km/year.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I love my f type, but for driving 30k miles, I think I'd get something a bit more comfy.
Also, driving that many miles in this car in bad weather, odds are I'll eventually do something stupid and kill myself.