F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove AWD and RWD back-to-back

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Drove AWD and RWD back-to-back

Had a chance to drive the 2016 R coupe for a couple of days. After I returned it I jumped back into mine. Some thoughts:

1. I believe they have made the car better for about 99% of the people who will buy the car. It's not tail happy anymore doesn't feel like riding on the back of nervous cat.

2. It rained heavily the two days I had it. I could definitely feel the extra traction.

3. I think the new car's biggest advantage will be powering out of the corners.I felt I could get on the throttle much earlier in the turns and didn't have to be as gentle with my inputs.

4.As far as the electric steering goes, meh. I doubt most people will be able to tell the difference.

5. Where you can tell the difference is the weight. The car is heavy and feels heavier. I think it takes away some of the seat-of-the-pants feeling in the straights.

I think most people will prefer the AWD version especially in V8 trim. I think it will definitely bolster sales overall. Me, I still prefer the RWD, I believe it is just more fun even though I feel it's actively trying to kill me sometimes.

MC

2015 Jaguar F-type R Coupe
1996 Acura NSX-T
1995 Mazda Miata #34

The following 6 users liked this post by TheStig:
anonymousjagman (07-11-2015), Foosh (06-09-2015), JgaXkr (06-11-2015), JimC64 (06-09-2015), Panthro (06-04-2024), uncheel (06-09-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Maybe some people are much more in tuned to the finer details, but I really don't see how weight is such an issue with the RWD versus the AWD... Can you HONESTLY feel the difference in performance when you drive alone, versus when you have someone in the passenger seat? That's the difference in weight between the AWD and the RWD...

I totally agree with 1 through 4 above.

The following 2 users liked this post by TXJagR:
Panthro (06-04-2024), vika01 (11-02-2019)
Old 06-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Drove AWD and RWD back-to-back

It's only like 170 lbs heavier in AWD trim. I wasn't able to feel much difference between the 2015 and 2016 R coupe in weight. I could feel the difference going from the V6S RWD to the V8R AWD, but that was a big change in other ways too.

AWD adds about the same as having a passenger in the car.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
It's only like 170 lbs heavier in AWD trim. I wasn't able to feel much difference between the 2015 and 2016 R coupe in weight.

AWD adds about the same as having a passenger in the car.
I think this is a fair point. I don't see how one could accurately detect a difference of 170 lbs. in a nearly 4000 lb. car. I'd speculate that perception-wise it "feels heavier" because it's not as toss-able as the tail-happy RWD R.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

The AWD system adds about 176 pounds. All things being equal, that is a pretty significant increase in weight. If you look at the top of the line performance cars of various manufacturers (Ferrari 458 Speciale, GT3 RS, etc.), they are reducing weight by less than 100 pounds over the "base" models. So for that context, adding 176 is huge. Of course all things aren't equal. AWD is a huge advantage if done properly. Look at how the 918 AWD system destroys the P1 lap times, even with the weight disadvantage...
You can definitely feel the difference having a 180 pound passenger. Heck, I can feel the difference on a full tank of gas.

The following users liked this post:
anonymousjagman (07-11-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

You could probably save most of that additional weight by tossing the Performance Seats and sticking with the Sports Seats.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:33 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

keep in mind the extra weight is in the one of the worser areas, right over the front axle

you could take kerb weight out with seats, but it won't do much for handling as that's right over centre of gravity

the electric steering will mask some of it, but you would feel it in change of direction hustling the car on a back road with fast left right steering inputs - not so much on a track where you have plenty of road width and time to set the car up for a corner

this was one of the reasons i went rwd over awd (we get both here), and also added the ceramics brakes chiefly for the benefit in rolling mass

Last edited by domino_z; 06-10-2015 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

While everyone will complain about the weight gain (which, while significant, is minimal for the addition of AWD) I think the benefits of our AWD system greatly outweigh the negatives of weight and drivetrain loss on the track. AWD will almost certainly put down better lap times.

As for the driving experience or street driving, this comes down to personal preference... I find it funny that the OP says the extra weight takes away from the throwing you in your seat feeling... he must not have launched the car or punched it in 1st or 2nd gear, because where the RWD spins the tires, the AWD hooks and goes. I believe this to be the main difference. If you like usable power you go for the AWD and if you prefer drama (drifting, wheel spin, etc) you choose the RWD. It's all down to personal preference. I don't think either car will ever be better than the other so let's not debate that.

The following 5 users liked this post by Stohlen:
anonymousjagman (07-11-2015), Foosh (06-10-2015), RobsnTX (06-15-2015), TXJagR (06-10-2015), vika01 (11-02-2019)
Old 06-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
While everyone will complain about the weight gain (which, while significant, is minimal for the addition of AWD) I think the benefits of our AWD system greatly outweigh the negatives of weight and drivetrain loss on the track. AWD will almost certainly put down better lap times.

As for the driving experience or street driving, this comes down to personal preference... I don't think either car will ever be better than the other so let's not debate that.
Exactly. It will be a matter of personal preference. This is no "better". Although I suspect most will prefer AWD for most every day situations.

Interestingly I will have the opportunity to drive them back to back on the track in Daytona in a few months. I will record some lap times and give you guys the results.

MC

Old 06-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I actually think for dry everday conditions people would prefer rwd. If i am cruising around town i am not driving it hard enough to need more traction. And im definitely not worried avout the tail spinning out. Where awd is desirable is wet conditions or when im pushing it and want more traction.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
I actually think for dry everday conditions people would prefer rwd. If i am cruising around town i am not driving it hard enough to need more traction. And im definitely not worried avout the tail spinning out. Where awd is desirable is wet conditions or when im pushing it and want more traction.
My wife insisted on the AWD for safety reasons. Given the power these cars generate, and as twitchy and tail happy the RWD cars can be, that was one of the compromises to get her on board with me buying the Jag. Doubly so if she was ever going to drive it.

Not to mention, its not the nice dry days you're going to want the AWD, its the days when its raining, or when something unexpected happens (like hitting a patch of black ice, an oil slick, or loose terrain, etc.)

For me, I enjoy the AWD as it gives me more confidence to push the car in corners, plus provides better acceleration and overall performance. I'll never take it on the track, but it's nice when you're having fun... or will be once I get past the break in period so I can take it above 4,000 rpm.

Its still a RWD car 99% of the time, so it is like the best of both worlds to me.

Last edited by Merlin; 06-10-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

If I was buying today and if we had the choice between AWD and RWD here in the U.S. I'd take the AWD without hesitation. The car struggles to put down the power as is, and AWD will help with that. AWD isn't just for inclement conditions. It's increasingly become a performance option.

I have little doubt that the AWD cars will be faster, more planted and able to make better use of the power.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Absolutely agree!

Old 06-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Still waiting on a back to back hot lap.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
Given the power these cars generate, and as twitchy and tail happy the RWD cars can be.....
Ok, now... these automobiles are not sentient beings.....it's the drivers that are twitchy and tail happy.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by swajames
The car struggles to put down the power as is, and AWD will help with that.
Again, the car doesn't struggle, it's the driver that struggles. Philosophical question: If the technology is able to wring all uncertainty out of the experience (awd, full DSC, computer shifting, vector braking, etc.), can driving really be considered a sport and is it still appropriate to call it a sports car?

signed,
Ludd Troglodyte

Old 06-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Again, the car doesn't struggle, it's the driver that struggles.

Disagree... There is a point where no matter the experience of the driver, amount of driver aids or vehicle technology, that two wheels simply cannot handle as much power as the vehicle can put out. At this point AWD will help the vehicle put the power it has to the ground when the RWD equivalent cannot. Granted the car isn't exactly struggling... but his point was essentially: the RWD cannot handle the 550 HP motor at peak torque when at low speeds, the AWD can and thus is more effective when it comes to acceleration. Grip is increased and acceleration is reduced or eliminated, this is just a fact.

Now when it comes to off throttle handling, obviously the RWD is better in most circumstances. But lets not immediately blame the driver for the physical limits of the system.

Panthro (06-04-2024)
Old 06-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

This is totally dependig on everyones interest, preference and use of car.

If you want to be fastest on the track, the awd is probabely the way to go.

If you are going to use it in winter conditions = awd.

If you are going to use it as an everyday car in any kind of conditions and think that 550hp/680Nm is a bit too much/to risky = awd.

If you don't care so much about any of the above, but where top priority is to have fun (on track as well) = rwd.

But no-one can say what is best/preferable for others. Only you can deceide for youself depending on what YOU want from the car.

Panthro (06-04-2024)
Old 06-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
There is a point where no matter the experience of the driver, amount of driver aids or vehicle technology, that two wheels simply cannot handle as much power as the vehicle can put out. At this point AWD will help the vehicle put the power it has to the ground when the RWD equivalent cannot. Granted the car isn't exactly struggling... but his point was essentially: the RWD cannot handle the 550 HP motor at peak torque when at low speeds, the AWD can and thus is more effective when it comes to acceleration. Grip is increased and acceleration is reduced or eliminated, this is just a fact.

Now when it comes to off throttle handling, obviously the RWD is better in most circumstances. But lets not immediately blame the driver for the physical limits of the system.

Agree with you 100% on all counts. But it is the driver who struggles with exacting maximum performance from a platform with limitations. But, isn't that where all the fun lies? Just going fast, isn't enough for some of us.

Panthro (06-04-2024)
Old 06-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Do you guys all drive with traction control off and a lead foot? I never have this "twitchy" tail happy problem that most seem and I push the car pretty hard, especially in the canyons. The tail doesn't break loose unless you make it break loose and when it does it is a 100% predictable event.

Quick Reply: Drove AWD and RWD back-to-back