Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamat - which panels??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 12:37 AM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Dynamat - which panels??

Hi everyone
I am planning to dynamat the jag but wanted everyone’s opinion on which panels to do first that will give you the best bang for buck . Don ‘ t want to do every panel and looking at this more from an audio point of view rather than reducing road noise but the would be good too. Looking at buying the dynamat extreme bulk pack that gives 9 sheets but if I can get away with less then that will save some $

Obviously starting with door but I have seen members do all sorts of combos

Kudos to Paul Calvert and his excellent video firstly. Had to take some screen shot from his videos to highlight the different options

Inside the door skin

2.the door itself

3 the back of the door card

So to improve audio should I do
Just 1
or 2
or 3
or both 1 and 3

and then for the subwoofers in the back
is there any advantage of doing the back of the panels as pictured below

and I guess also is there any benefit from doing the rear bulkhead?

Anyone that’s has done these - how much extra dynamat is needed over and above the door kit amount alone

I do not intend to do the floor
Also not thinking of the boot either

thanks for any replies

The following users liked this post:
SinF (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 04:18 AM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Check out these guys for the how, what and why: https://www.secondskinaudio.com/

I will be using their CLD tiles on the metal bits.
I used their Luxury Liner Pro between the door and door cards in the XC90 to isolate the outer door handle hardware that rattled but the stuff is so thick and heavy, I couldn't really get the door cards to stay clipped on.
So I switched to this stuff: https://www.mobilesolutions-usa.com/soundshield I will be sticking it to the door card of the F.

The rear panels need it badly. I played a 79Hz tone in the system and it sounded like all the panels in back were going to come loose. The panels are effectively the baffles (as in isolating front wave from back wave, not mounting surface) for the subs. They need something to deaden the resonance. I just haven't decided what to do, sub wise, on the system yet.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Fabulous...those pics look like you took them with a 99cent gag camera. Not judging...just sayin'. lol

Old 12-24-2020, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I have done projects like these in the past and would not do it again. It is very labor intensive and only had marginal effectiveness on the car I did it on. This is because most of the noise comes through door seals, glass, floor and firewall and not door and bulkhead panels that are easy to access.

Yes, your car will be slightly quieter after your project, but not in a meaningful way unless you tear the entire interior, including dash, seats, and carpet out to insulate it.

Instead, treat all your seals with rubber conditioner - ensuring you seals stay clean and flexible will keep the noise down. Then replace tires based on the noise rating as this makes a lot of difference, but keep in mind that quieter tires may not offer the best traction possible.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:11 AM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

OK, so there’s sound deadening and then there’s sound deadening. The kind SinF is talking about, I believe, is making the inside quiet from what goes on outside. Most Lux cars already have a ton of that stuff. Heck, my XC90’s carpets are 4” thick in some spots. Dynamat specifically, is a butyl dampener that deadens the sheet metal from rock hits. I guarantee the F already has a bunch of that in the floors, not to mention plastic wheel well liners. That’s not to say the door skins couldn’t use a little help.

What I’m talking about is stuff rattles when you play music at an appreciable level. I have 200 watts going to each of the GB60’s in my doors. Stuff will want to rattle a bit. For that you need an MLV layer.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I've used both Dynamat and RAAMmat. It's not necessary to cover 100% of a surface with it. Its purpose is to damp vibrations; it is not a barrier to sound. I saw the best improvement when I did my 9-2x doors and roof. I did the roof because in heavy rain it sounded like I was inside a garbage can being pelted with gravel. Covering flat areas of sheet metal and ensuring that there are no air bubbles underneath is key. For the doors, it made them sound much more solid when I closed them (a desired outcome). Road noise was reduced when I used both mat and ensolite under the front carpets.

For audio, I pulled the speakers, put mat at the mounting area, and reinstalled. That, and the mat on the door skin behind the speaker greatly improved the sound. It was much more full (less tinny). I would not expect that kind of improvement on more up-market car like the F-Type.