F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamat + "speakers maybe while you're in there"

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2024, 05:41 AM
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Dynamat + "speakers maybe while you're in there"

Great, no, AMAZING results 10 years ago from adding Dynamat to my Mustang doors, floor and trunk.

Will start with the Jag doors... THANKS VALERIE for the door removal link you provided to the FORUM.

Anyway, I have a '23 with the upgraded 770 watt Meridian Surround system.

While I've got it all apart are there any door speakers I should upgrade?

Door panels look like a good bit of work, and I don't want to do this twice.

Don't mind investing the $$$ as I plan on keeping this car for over 100,000 miles

Want to order it all ahead of time.

THANK YOU !

BEST !

RWS

Old 05-30-2024, 07:10 AM
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderjet Racing
Great, no, AMAZING results 10 years ago from adding Dynamat to my Mustang doors, floor and trunk.

Will start with the Jag doors... THANKS VALERIE for the door removal link you provided to the FORUM.

F Type Door Trim (youtube.com)

Anyway, I have a '23 with the upgraded 770 watt Meridian Surround system.

While I've got it all apart are there any door speakers I should upgrade?

Door panels look like a good bit of work, and I don't want to do this twice.

Don't mind investing the $$$ as I plan on keeping this car for over 100,000 miles

Want to order it all ahead of time.

THANK YOU !

BEST !

RWS
Unless you are planning to ad an aftermarket DSP+AMP at the minimum I would not. The DSP amplifier in the car is specifically setup to make those specific speaker sound the best that possibly can. Change the speakers and that is no longer the case. You may have areas in the frequency range with the new speakers that are more efficient or louder which some people may perceive as an improvement but in actuality, now the entire tune on that speaker has been compromised because all speakers have different frequency response curves. One way to fix that is to have a aftermarket Amplifier+DSP that can accept the speaker level output of the factory amplifier and allow you to basically deconstruct the alterations to the frequency response of each channel and then retune that speaker using the aftermarket DSP which generally has the ability to adjust time alignment, phase, EQ for every channel independently. I learned this the hard way doing exactly what you are asking to do. Only thing factory on my car is the jaguar IMC and display, everything else has been replaced with aftermarket to get the sound I wanted which has turned better than I could have imagined.

The following users liked this post:
Thunderjet Racing (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 09:18 AM
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 'Speaker while you're in there'

Several owners have upgraded their F-Type door speakers as not happy with the limited range of the standard paper/rubber cone speakers (same on 380W and 770W systems). Lot's of info in various threads, but this is a good one to start with --> Stereo system upgrade

Forum member has produced full how to video -->

Part number details

I've fitted the highlighted (Meridian Signature) speakers to my own car and while I'm no audiophile, I can definitely state the sound is crisper and stays sharp with increased volume, especially the base. The benefit (in addition to perceived sound quality), is that the whole upgrade is 'plug and play', no wiring adapters, speaker rings, additional amp etc. Most of the items can be found on Ebay, but even brand new prices (try Britcar), aren't that expensive. The only tricky item to pin down second-hand is the sub-woofer. I managed to source mine from an XJ rear Sub parcel shelf (AW93-04692-BC), which housed two CPLA-18808-FB Meridan Signature Subs.

Easy enough mod, no real mechanical skills required, can be done in a day (including a 3 layer door skin, door panel, door card sound proofing). I was really pleased with the results.

The following 3 users liked this post by genp729:
JgaXkr (05-31-2024), Thunderjet Racing (05-30-2024), woohoo (05-31-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 03:53 AM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by genp729
Most of the items can be found on Ebay, but even brand new prices (try Britcar), aren't that expensive. The only tricky item to pin down second-hand is the sub-woofer. I managed to source mine from an XJ rear Sub parcel shelf (AW93-04692-BC), which housed two CPLA-18808-FB Meridan Signature Subs.

I similarly am doing Dynamat on MY18 and figured to upgrade the speakers, found the same threads and trying to source the parts. eBay, local dealer in San Jose, CA or Britcar (~700 USD + VAT + shipping).

Local dealer parts is $718 including tax and shipping for 2x tweeters, 2x mids, 2 bass. I might do that and eBay the tweeters which are easier to find.

Hard to find the sub on eBay, clever idea to go with the subwoofer parcel approach but all of the AW93-04692-BC I see don't have the kevlar cone. Assuming yours was kevlar as expected?

Old 06-24-2024, 04:03 AM
Received 270 Likes on 206 Posts

I did a three-layer dynamat install in my XES, the difference is night and day. The doors would rattle at about 15 or 18 on the dial, now it gets to 30 before it starts to rattle Good idea to buy a bunch of the interior clips from Jag before you start, so you've got them ready for re-install. If you get along with your local Jag dealer, they might let you buy a bunch and return the ones you don't use.

The sound when the door closes is probably the most satisfying part for me, other than the sound when I rap my knuckles on the outside of the door skin

Old 06-24-2024, 05:29 PM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
I did a three-layer dynamat install in my XES, the difference is night and day. The doors would rattle at about 15 or 18 on the dial, now it gets to 30 before it starts to rattle Good idea to buy a bunch of the interior clips from Jag before you start, so you've got them ready for re-install. If you get along with your local Jag dealer, they might let you buy a bunch and return the ones you don't use.

The sound when the door closes is probably the most satisfying part for me, other than the sound when I rap my knuckles on the outside of the door skin
Indeed, I finished one of the doors in Dynamat ProX and absolutely love the improvement already including how the satisfying door close!

I don't think I get along so well with my Jag dealer. Do you happen to know what are the clip part numbers?

For example the two ones in the images attached. I can at least order them for local pickup.

Old 06-24-2024, 08:16 PM
Received 270 Likes on 206 Posts

The white clips are the ones I'm talking about, all my metal ones were sweet. I might have a couple left, I'll see if I can dig one out and find a part number

Old 07-03-2024, 05:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Several owners have upgraded their F-Type door speakers as not happy with the limited range of the standard paper/rubber cone speakers (same on 380W and 770W systems). Lot's of info in various threads, but this is a good one to start with --> Stereo system upgrade

Forum member has produced full how to video --> Audio speaker upgrade

Part number details

I've fitted the highlighted (Meridian Signature) speakers to my own car and while I'm no audiophile, I can definitely state the sound is crisper and stays sharp with increased volume, especially the base. The benefit (in addition to perceived sound quality), is that the whole upgrade is 'plug and play', no wiring adapters, speaker rings, additional amp etc. Most of the items can be found on Ebay, but even brand new prices (try Britcar), aren't that expensive. The only tricky item to pin down second-hand is the sub-woofer. I managed to source mine from an XJ rear Sub parcel shelf (AW93-04692-BC), which housed two CPLA-18808-FB Meridan Signature Subs.

Easy enough mod, no real mechanical skills required, can be done in a day (including a 3 layer door skin, door panel, door card sound proofing). I was really pleased with the results.
I've replaced the center speaker (AW93-18808-EC; a yellow Kevlar co-axial unit) and the improvement is stunning. Makes the entire system more livable.

I'd like to replace the mid units in each door, and following the chart above, the part number AW93-18808-BC is recommended. I can't seem to find the -BC, but have found a -DC part number, which appears to be a black Kevlar driver. Does anyone know of success with that unit? The part number is so close, and online visuals seem viable.

Last edited by pjr300; 07-03-2024 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2024, 10:36 AM
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Speaker Upgrades

The AW93-18808-DC is a rear door speaker fom the Jaguar XJ 10 - 12. It is incompatible with the F-Type front 4" mid range speakers due to:

1. Different mounting points

AW93-18808-DC AW93-18808-BC

2. Different connector plugs: 4 pin v 2 pin

If you are struggling to source the Bowers & Wilkins 4" mids (AW93-18808-BC) used/new, the Meridian Signature alternatives (black cone) are made in the same Panasonic factory (under licence) from the same kevlar cone material as the B&W's. There should be no discernable difference in sound quality between the two variants, so don't limit yourself to the yellow cone speaker just because that's what you fitted as a centre speaker (AW93-18808-EC only comes as a yellow cone).

Old 07-05-2024, 07:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The AW93-18808-DC is a rear door speaker fom the Jaguar XJ 10 - 12. It is incompatible with the F-Type front 4" mid range speakers due to:

1. Different mounting points

2. Different connector plugs: 4 pin v 2 pin

If you are struggling to source the Bowers & Wilkins 4" mids (AW93-18808-BC) used/new, the Meridian Signature alternatives (black cone) are made in the same Panasonic factory (under licence) from the same kevlar cone material as the B&W's. There should be no discernable difference in sound quality between the two variants, so don't limit yourself to the yellow cone speaker just because that's what you fitted as a centre speaker (AW93-18808-EC only comes as a yellow cone).
Thanks genp! Tweeters are obtained, and seems like the bass units are out there, but I've had a tough time with the mids (yellow or black). Multiple sellers have offered me a "set" but with mixed part numbers (one even mixed a mid with the center coaxial and called it a set!). I'll keep looking for AW93-18808-BC (aka C2D2076) or the Signature equivalents and sooner or later, I'll get lucky!

Old 07-05-2024, 10:50 AM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts
Default The white clips for the door cards

I posted this in a different forum but be careful buying the white clips...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eakers-250096/

My post on this is #6