Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamic Mode Effect?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Dynamic Mode Effect?

Just starting to enjoy driving in dynamic mode, but failing to find much info on it in the owner's manual(big surprise). Maybe I missed an earlier thread, but has anyone run info as to the effects on fuel economy, or lack there of. Also, can we run dynamic full time with no ill effect to the F-Type. Does it actually produce any positive performance improvements to the car or is just a performance enhancement between the driver's ears? Sure works for me.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

What’s fuel economy? :-)

As soon as I get to the edge of my neighborhood I switch to dynamic, then to sport mode. Throttle response is better, sounds better, and turns it into the car I love driving. I do appreciate the regular mode for those times when I want to blend in more (sound) - usually in evening or early morning in my neighborhood.

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Just starting to enjoy driving in dynamic mode, but failing to find much info on it in the owner's manual(big surprise). Maybe I missed an earlier thread, but has anyone run info as to the effects on fuel economy, or lack there of. Also, can we run dynamic full time with no ill effect to the F-Type. Does it actually produce any positive performance improvements to the car or is just a performance enhancement between the driver's ears? Sure works for me.
Fuel economy effects are based mostly on your right foot and less on being in dynamic mode; though dynamic mode may make you use your right foot more heavily. Obviously there aren't any ill effects to using dynamic mode, they wouldn't put it in the car if there was... Basically by putting the car in dynamic mode it changes suspension settings, shift mapping, throttle response, etc which you can even configure (what you want it to effect) in your performance pages. Might want to give that a look.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:18 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
...which you can even configure (what you want it to effect) in your performance pages. Might want to give that a look.
That's only if you have Configurable Dynamics (or whatever they call it), which I don't have. Also, base models don't have adjustable suspension, so Dynamic doesn't do anything for suspension on those.

Active dampers, steering weight, throttle response, shift mapping, active exhaust. And don't forget red interior lighting.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:59 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

[QUOTE=DJS;1840415 Active dampers, steering weight, throttle response, shift mapping, active exhaust. And don't forget red interior lighting. [/QUOTE]

And fuel economy. I haven't run a test on the F-Type but on a XJ sedan I found the sport mode took 3 mpg, driving consistently. The F is not a light car and making it perform takes energy.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Obviously I didn't buy the F-Type for fuel economy, or I would have kept the Mini Convertible. I have been through the Owner's manual several times now and been a bit disappointed as to the lack of explanation of the D.M., as well as any modification to the factory settings. Just like my computer and smart phone, maybe I should have my 12yr. old grandaughter explain it. I guess the writers expect it to be intuitive to anyone who can drive the car? But then I am accustomed to driving airplanes and having all systems explained in detail in the "owner's manual". When 300+ lives are at stake, little should be left to the imagination. Guess I am spoiled.
My real concern is if there is any extra stress put on the car while in D.M. Can I run it constantly without damage to anything other than the neighbors??

Old 02-10-2018, 04:10 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Yeah, the manual isn't great in general. Many of us run in Dynamic almost exclusively- I wouldn't worry about it.

Fuel economy is a tad worse than regular (non-dynamic?) mode. If you want slightly better fuel economy on the expressway, use rain/snow mode, but don't fall asleep. I typically turn off Dynamic for long freeway cruises, as the steering is a bit lighter, so it's a tad less tiring for 12+ hour drives.

I also turn it off on bad pavement, as the suspension is slightly softer.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I drive in Dynamic mode all the time, about 10,000 miles now, but with it configured for "normal" (read less harsh) suspension and it hasn't caused a single problem. I doubt if the improved throttle and gearbox response (which I much prefer over the "normal" mode and the main reasons I use Dynamic all the time) put any significant additional stress on the car.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

My real concern is if there is any extra stress put on the car while in D.M. Can I run it constantly without damage to anything other than the neighbors??
As I said prior... no. Jaguar isn't going to put a feature in the car that can hurt it if you use it.

If you want to get super technical about it; your engine will probably run at a higher RPM over its life, and maybe the transmission shifts will be a little harder, or the suspension may wear faster from the dampers being altered, but none of this is going to make your car break before the natural part to part quality variation kicks in and parts wear from old age. Don't worry about it.

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (02-13-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

That is the information I am looking for. Good feedback. Always good to hear from those "who have been there, done that".
Thx.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

The way you drive the car will cause premature wear rather than the mode the car is in. Treat it with mechanical sympathy when cold, let everything warm up properly and then "give it some" in Dynamic worry free!

Old 02-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Having grown up on a farm where the machinery was our life I learned early on to treat anything mechanical with total respect. The Jag is definitely no exception.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Having grown up on a farm where the machinery was our life I learned early on to treat anything mechanical with total respect. The Jag is definitely no exception.
Agree. I drive mine in Dynamic mode nearly 100% of the time, also with TrackDSC, values open. I have both the VAP ECU tune + pulley; and I drive with a fair amount of spirit. But I also believe in not abusing the car. That being said, I do enjoy track days.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
As I said prior... no. Jaguar isn't going to put a feature in the car that can hurt it if you use it.
Hey, they put Auto-start/ECO mode in my car and it hurts me every time I had forgotten to turn it off. Thanks to VAP this hurt and pain is over.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I think the options practices of JLRUSA are worthy of a sticky. There is nothing more annoying about buying a European vehicle, other than Porsche, than the unavailability of options in the US.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:42 AM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Hi there

On mine and I am still getting used to the car:

Dynamic ON: But engine and suspension on normal.

Engine: I believe all engine is doing in dynamic is sharper throttle response, or does it change anything else?

Suspension: Normal is far better for UK roads and as its wet here a lot, softer setting also offers more grip.

I have exhaust always open, stop/start disabled. I drive in D when chilling, then S/manual when attacking roads or wanting to make huge pops and bangs.

Car is a stock SVR.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:05 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I have found, after careful observation, that my R exhaust spits out more black bits on to the rear panel in Dynamic, until the engine is warmed up to the normal temp. As a result, I drive in normal mode until warmed up, then go to dynamic and sport. I drive in dynamic all of the time, unless on a road trip with my wife.

Larry

Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

No offense Gibbo, but is it ever not wet in UK? Sorry, had to get that in having spent a bit of time there, but do like it, esp. the cars. I am learning to drive the Eco Start/Stop. I do a lot of around town driving, and try to time the lights. Take it as a challenge. Of course with the drivers here in S.W. Fla. just driving is a challenge.