F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default E85?

Good afternoon gents. I'm looking if anyone has either run full e85 in their v8 f type? If so what upgrades did you have to make to allow for it?

Or if anyone has the information to how the range rover flex fuel cars are determine ethanol content and adjusting fueling for it I could maybe apply that to our cars.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:54 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

My MY18 manual states to not use E85 as "serious engine and fuel system damage will occur". It goes on to say not to use fuel with more than 10% ethanol content.

I have no idea how much of the fuel system or engine you'd have to change to accommodate E85.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Colecat
Good afternoon gents. I'm looking if anyone has either run full e85 in their v8 f type? If so what upgrades did you have to make to allow for it?

Or if anyone has the information to how the range rover flex fuel cars are determine ethanol content and adjusting fueling for it I could maybe apply that to our cars.
Why would you want to run E85?

Old 10-26-2019, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Why would you want to run E85?
It's locally available to me, much cheaper than racegas and provides both cylinder cooling benefits and higher "octane", proven power gains across every platform its tuned on. I understand it requires higher quantity for the same energy when compared with gasoline but I've run it on different platforms with great results. Also theres the benefit of allowing a leaner mixture while maintaining safe fuel targets. All this to say, it's like racegas that's available nationwide at this point.

I would be tuning for the e85, I'm not implying any Joe schmo should go fill up and instantly be making more power. On some basic questioning it appears to me the RR flex fuel cars essentially are "guessing" ethanol content based off short term fuel trims and adjusting according but I'm not sure what the f type lpfp and hpfp will max out at, e content wise. My wife's q60 can only take e30 mixture. Anything greater would require fueling upgrades.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:30 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Colecat
It's locally available to me, much cheaper than racegas and provides both cylinder cooling benefits and higher "octane", proven power gains across every platform its tuned on. I understand it requires higher quantity for the same energy when compared with gasoline but I've run it on different platforms with great results. Also theres the benefit of allowing a leaner mixture while maintaining safe fuel targets. All this to say, it's like racegas that's available nationwide at this point. The car performs fantastically well.

I would be tuning for the e85, I'm not implying any Joe schmo should go fill up and instantly be making more power. On some basic questioning it appears to me the RR flex fuel cars essentially are "guessing" ethanol content based off short term fuel trims and adjusting according but I'm not sure what the f type lpfp and hpfp will max out at, e content wise. My wife's q60 can only take e30 mixture. Anything greater would require fueling upgrades.
I experimented with E20 and the check engine light came on before the tank was done. The exhaust became noticeably more jackhammer. Boostane is what I have settled on as I run Racechip and don't want detonation.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:09 AM

Currently I have no worries about octane as I'm running a 50/50 water meth injection kit that the engine is not reliant on, it's simply auxiliary cooling with the added benefit of raising octane. It's great, changing fuel to e85 I would retune for it. It's interesting to note your check engine light came on at such a small mixture. Do you recall the codes? Perhaps short term fuel trims were being maxed out?

Old 10-27-2019, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

High EtOH blends do indeed raise the research octane, allowing you to advance the spark for a bit of additional HP at high rpm, but the combustion energy content declines with the additional oxygenate content, reducing fuel economy, but also more importantly reducing torque. Motor Octane decreases as Research Octane increases as additional EtOH is added to the blend.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
High EtOH blends do indeed raise the research octane, allowing you to advance the spark for a bit of additional HP at high rpm, but the combustion energy content declines with the additional oxygenate content, reducing fuel economy, but also more importantly reducing torque. Motor Octane decreases as Research Octane increases as additional EtOH is added to the blend.

You can also safely run a slightly leaner fuel mixture than gasoline allowing for a more complete burn and less fuel to compensate that need for more e85. Of course you don't need to do this and it's better mpg will come with better power and more complete burn.

Last edited by Colecat; 10-27-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:34 AM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

I plan on getting a custom e30 or e40 tune pretty soon. If you plan on running any mixture of e85 you should get tuned for it. Running e85 requires 30% more flow from the injectors. So if you are just throwing e85 at the car, it's not getting the right amount of fuel. You will run leaner and end up just messing things up. From a cel to engine damage. Get a tune, so you can take full advantage of the ethanol.

Last edited by Terrance39; 10-28-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Terrance39
I plan on getting a custom e30 or e40 tune pretty soon. If you plan on running any mixture of e85 you should get tuned for it. Running e85 requires 30% more flow from the injectors. So if you are just throwing e85 at the car, it's not getting the right amount of fuel. You will run leaner and end up just messing things up. From a cel to engine damage. Get a tune, so you can take full advantage of the ethanol.
I am happy to have you going side by side with me on this journey of dual pulleys, meth injection and the quest for e85.

The following users liked this post:
Terrance39 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Who is doing the tune for you?

Old 10-30-2019, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by casper83
Who is doing the tune for you?
The ftype is supported by hp tuners. I have a couple guys here that are very good using it.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Running e85 requires 30% more flow from the injectors.
I haven't researched this and am unlikely to, but I was wondering if the stock injectors are capable of flowing enough to deliver the greater volume required, even at 100% duty cycle.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I haven't researched this and am unlikely to, but I was wondering if the stock injectors are capable of flowing enough to deliver the greater volume required, even at 100% duty cycle.
Yes for a small e30 or e40 mix it should. I doubt it will support a full e85 mix though.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:38 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to revive an old thread, but have been looking into this for the past year as I acquired a 2013 XF 5.0 Supercharged, and was frustrated when I got it and it did not have the flex fuel option. Some Jaguar XFs, V8 and V6, come standard with full flex fuel, same thing with the range rovers, so out of curiosity, I looked up a VIN that was flex fuel and another VIN of a car that was not flex fuel capable, turns out they have the same part number for the fuel pump, my curiosity is (since JLR does not really change much between Xf supercharged, XFR, and XFR-S, as well as the entire brand and just slapping the 5.0 in every larger vehicle without any major changes) is if they put the same injectors and even the flex fuel sensor in all their vehicles, and might just require a dealer remap in order to make our cars flex fuel capable. I know someone in California is a tuner with an XKR (old drivetrain with 6 speed auto, Jaguar didn't make that flex fuel capable) and I believe he is running e30 or so, not sure on the details for that XK as it was some other XF owner telling me this who was thinking about getting a tune himself. So bottom line, I do believe our cars are flex fuel capable bone stock, we just need to find the right tuner, I reached out to Velocity AP and they said they are playing with it. I really do wish I got a flex fuel car instead.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Reviving this again. I am tuned for flex fuel in my Camaro ZL1 and make about 100
hp on e70 blend (highest my injectors and fuel pump with booster will support). I’d love to flex tune the F-type also. I already have HP Tuner for the ZL1. Anyone know how much head room the F-type injectors and fuel pump have? I can’t believe no one else is trying this.

The following users liked this post:
boostedxf (09-20-2022)
Old 10-10-2021, 09:43 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CW3SF
Reviving this again. I am tuned for flex fuel in my Camaro ZL1 and make about 100
hp on e70 blend (highest my injectors and fuel pump with booster will support). I’d love to flex tune the F-type also. I already have HP Tuner for the ZL1. Anyone know how much head room the F-type injectors and fuel pump have? I can’t believe no one else is trying this.
Did you ever go down this path?

Old 10-10-2021, 12:26 PM

I have been trying to get an e blended tune on this car for I don't know how long now. I'm hoping vap might be working on one.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:34 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

VAP told me over email when I inquired about octane rating and the pulley tune that they would be looking into ethanol mixes this past summer. I haven't heard anything about it though, might be worth contacting them.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:38 AM

I have, everytime I send Chris a log, I ask him about the ethanol tune lol.

Quick Reply: E85?