F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBC "RedStuff" Ceramic Pads and High Carbon Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 05:36 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts
Default EBC "RedStuff" Ceramic Pads and High Carbon Rotors

I know many members of this forum have expressed keen interest in EBC Redstuff Ceramic Pads, but continuously disappointed at the lack of availability.

I just got off the phone with R1 Concepts in Cerritos, California. For those unfamiliar with R1 Concepts, they are a rotor and pad supplier and manufacturer that specializes in high-end brakes, sets, parts, etc, for high-performance automobiles.

In the process of getting a quote for their signature, made-to-order, R1 Premier Series High Carbon Alloy Cross-Drilled Rotors, I was told they can pair those up with Redstuff Ceramic Pads.

I asked if they were sure they had them available, and was told they don't stock them, but can order them, and have them shipped within 7 days. The rotors themselves take 8 to 10 days to be manufactured, so that all wraps up into a tidy package.

Under $1300 for the entire package. Roughly 1K for the High Carbon Cross Drilled Rotors and $300 for the EBC Ceramic pads, for all four corners. Installation not included.

I have not placed my order yet, as I am double checking the availability of the Redstuff pads through an alternate back channel. Will confirm here when I know more...

Last edited by IronMike; 02-17-2016 at 05:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dremorg (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Don't get the drilled rotors, just get the slotted ones.

The following users liked this post:
Dremorg (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Don't get the drilled rotors, just get the slotted ones.
Care to elaborate why?
Do the High Carbon rotors not benefit from the additional heat dissipation provided by drilled rotors?
Would the Drilled AND Slotted rotors by a valued compromise?

Old 02-17-2016, 08:19 PM

I have the R1 Concepts Premium Slotted rotors on my XJR, along with EBC pads (picture here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...6/#post1401837) and they have been nothing but fantastic.

It could be a never-ending argument about drilled vs. slotted vs. both so i'd suggest to do your own research and come up with your own conclusion.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
I have the R1 Concepts Premium Slotted rotors on my XJR, along with EBC pads (picture here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...6/#post1401837) and they have been nothing but fantastic.

It could be a never-ending argument about drilled vs. slotted vs. both so i'd suggest to do your own research and come up with your own conclusion.
So sorry, but your experience and opinion is generally met with high respect here. This however was both a tease and a cop out of a response if I've ever seen one.
You clearly have your reasons for sticking with the slotted rotors only, I would love to learn from them...

Old 02-17-2016, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Drilled rotors have been known to suffer from stress cracking. Most consider the best rotors for heat dissipation to be slotted rotors. Here's some easy reading:

Dangerous cross drilled rotors - EBC Brakes
Drilled vs. Slotted Rotors - What are the Best Brake Rotors?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:15 PM

Lance has pretty much nailed it.

The fact that Alcon will not make drilled metal rotors, at all, is enough of an argument for me (they do have drilled CCX rotors, but that's a whole different ballpark).

https://www.alconkits.com/alcon-blog...ors-and-cracks

Do a google image search for "drilled brake rotor cracked" there's plenty of pictures showing what can happen.

Last edited by Cambo; 02-17-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

To add to what Lance and Cambo have said, you won't ever see drilled rotors on race cars. They will be slotted.

On the other hand, you'd probably never, ever come close to cracking a drilled rotor in street and occasional track usage.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
To add to what Lance and Cambo have said, you won't ever see drilled rotors on race cars. They will be slotted.

On the other hand, you'd probably never, ever come close to cracking a drilled rotor in street and occasional track usage.
this is what I'm thinking. Very, very unlikely to crack a rotor on the street, and my track days will be few and far between. Besides, unless I'm mistaken, combining the high carbon rotors with ceramic pads means less heat in general and faster dissipation of the heat within both substances.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

My first MY '06 Z06 came std with drilled rotors, and it survived multiple track days just fine. I think they dropped them for slotted rotors in later model years, and they've now fallen out of favor on high-performance cars.

No doubt, they'll be better at heat dissipation and less prone to fade.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:24 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

All my AMG's came with the drilled rotors and I drove them very hard. Not a hint of them cracking.