Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eco - flashing "d"

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Eco - flashing "d"

I stopped today at a light, and the ECO turned the car off (forgot to hit the button, once again).

I stepped on the accelerator, and the motor started up, but the car would not move. The "D" on the dashboard Panel just flashed and car horns were honking. I remembered a post on the forum, and it stated that the individual had to turn the motor off then restart it.

Have any of you incurred this situation? If so what did you do?

Concerning to me, and I never liked this ECO feature from day one, but this is concerning me. Only happened once but that is enough.

Thoughts? Thanks folks, and to all the mothers out there, have a great Mom's day on Sunday....they are out only hope for society and we know how much we love them!!!!

Old 05-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Needs to be flashed

Software problem, dealer can fix it. It is really annoying.

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (05-08-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem

I got a brand new f type and happened to me just a week after I bought the car. Just a glitch? Should I bring it in?

Old 07-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I just stop using ECO mode
but yes, from what I've read, it's a software issue that can be fixed with an update if you bring it in for service.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx! I'll just stop using eco, it gets on my nerves sometime

Originally Posted by shift
I just stop using ECO mode
but yes, from what I've read, it's a software issue that can be fixed with an update if you bring it in for service.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

The VERY first thing I do upon start up is disable that %$@&^! eco button!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
The VERY first thing I do upon start up is disable that %$@&^! eco button!
Just pull the negative cable from the small battery Buick, and you'll never have to think about it again.

I did this months ago, and not a single problem as a result. Best mod I've made to the car!!!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I've been purposely letting eco-mode do it's thing a lot lately when I'm crawling in gridlocked, stop and go traffic. I'm doing it just out of curiosity to see if there were any glitches. Mine's a 10/13 build, and never once has it malfunctioned. Nothing has ever been re-flashed on the car either.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

I think it depends on how you modulate the brake pedal. If you are very firm with braking then the software is fine. But if you are slow with the brake pedal I think the system gets "confused" and then flashes "D". Basically the system is probably too sensitive.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

In other breaking news, new for 2017 model year: ability to permanently disable ECO mode!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

I think it depends on how you modulate the brake pedal. If you are very firm with braking then the software is fine. But if you are slow with the brake pedal I think the system gets "confused" and then flashes "D". Basically the system is probably too sensitive.
LOL . . . interesting theory, it gets "confused."

Old 07-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Joking aside, we have 3 vehicles with an "eco-mode" equivalent (Jeep Cherokee and MB C-300 being the other two). All three behave exactly the same way, and I've been experimenting a lot with all of them lately. The smallest movement on the brake pedal after an engine shutdown causes an instant restart on all of them. To keep the engine shutdown, you have to be perfectly motionless on the brake pedal. Even then, if the HVAC is trying to maintain a temp after a longer stop, that too will generate a restart. It doesn't have anything to do with being "slow on the brake pedal," if it's operating properly. All 3 of our cars have experienced no glitches.

Software is a funny thing. The smallest change can introduce glitches, and my theory is it all depends upon when your car was produced and originally flashed. The good news is, it is a very easy fix.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Foosh - have you seen any gains in MPG while using the stop-start feature?

Old 07-07-2015, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

as it turns out, Edmunds tested the R: Do Stop-Start Systems Really Save Fuel? | Edmunds.com

"The Jaguar did a little better, which makes sense when you're talking about a thirstier V8. It consumed 4.1 gallons with the system off and 3.6 with it on, a reduction of some 10.9 percent. At local prices that returned $1.47 to our pocket. Corresponding fuel economy increased from 19.7 to 22.1 mpg."

The following users liked this post:
BierNut (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

as it turns out, Edmunds tested the R: Do Stop-Start Systems Really Save Fuel? | Edmunds.com

"The Jaguar did a little better, which makes sense when you're talking about a thirstier V8. It consumed 4.1 gallons with the system off and 3.6 with it on, a reduction of some 10.9 percent. At local prices that returned $1.47 to our pocket. Corresponding fuel economy increased from 19.7 to 22.1 mpg."
Wow... those are much larger gains than I would have expected.

Worth the cost to not have to deal with stop/start in my opinion.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

It is important to remember that manufacturers are not spending the extra money to install things like start-stop systems because they want to or to sell more cars. They are doing it because they have no choice as as a result of worldwide government regulations. Most developed countries now have something similar to the U.S. "Corporate Average Fuel Economy" (CAFE) requirements. All of the EU certainly does.

Those requirements raise the bar every year for improved fuel economy averaged across all of their vehicles. A 10% MPG improvement on any given vehicle can make it or break it for them in terms of meeting the CAFE requirement. The regulations are loose enough to allow them to "game the system" by making things like start-stop very easy for almost any driver to work around, and the certification tests allow them to test mpg using them to the max, along with "grandmotherly" driving techniques.

Manufacturers who sell hundreds of thousands of cars also have a big advantage. For example Ford, GM, Kia, Honda, Hyundai, and Toyota, etc. each sell several tens or hundreds of thousands of inexpensive "econo-boxes" rated at 30 mpg or better. As a result they have no problem meeting CAFE requirements without having to resort to things like start-stop.

Niche and luxury/performance-oriented companies like JLR have to really struggle to meet CAFE requirements. That's why you're seeing so many turbo-charged I4s now from those companies. These days, cars from most of those companies are equipped with engine start-stop systems.

The bottom line is a company like JLR has no choice but to pull all the rabbits it can out of a hat to meet fuel-economy requirements, while trying to maintain their luxury/performance legacy.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-07-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

reminds me of Aston Martin selling the Scion IQ based city car to average out their MPG requirement in Europe.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Eco - flashing "d"

reminds me of Aston Martin selling the Scion IQ based city car to average out their MPG requirement in Europe.

Do they have to sell them to count, or just produce them? Because let's face it, who would buy that monstrosity?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure how the EU regulations work, but they definitely offered it for sale (only to existing AM owners) in effort to meet some fuel standards. I think they've since abandoned it. Probably just cheaper to pay the fines and pass on the fines to the customer

Old 07-08-2015, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The ECO already crapped out on the 6 speed once yesterday. Despite providing Foosh with some entertainment value, I will claim that it seemed to get confused. I was in the process of playing with the clutch at a stop light to get a better feel for it. Given the info on this forum I was able to launch again quickly with a double press on the ignition button.

Quick Reply: Eco - flashing "d"