F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eco Start Stop (again)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Eco Start Stop (again)

Yes I know, it becomes annoying with the time, but the pulling of the 4 wire black plug on the VQM and its effect where never really addressed.
Why I dont like the Eco start/stop on my new car with just 28 km ? Very simple, it was beginning to suck when I bought my actual VW Touran,
as the model before was not having it. It has sure some sense, but the logic behind is just dumb. As the car cannot know how long the standing
time will be. My main disgust was that the engine always stopped before my garage door, the time that it opens to drive in. Silly.
But you can find in Germany module kits to override, even when you must depose the central console as the sellers also deliver tools for this operation.
Pretty nice, switching on your last selection and always allow to continu to use it manually. And disabling procedure returns to delivery state.
For all the VAG products you find this modules but nothing for Jag.
So I begin to study the VQM device with this black plug inside the car. It very simple seems to replace the second battery as there is an DC DC converter
inside to make from low voltage steady 12V to feed up the critical components during Eco start/stop. And the 4 wire connector seems to be an information
about the module, if it is able to do it. Thanks god, there seem to be no error codes generated. Perhaps this is more easy to deliver cars in countries without
the start stop and not requiring special software ?
Best solution would sure be to intercept the wires coming from the Eco button assembly, but may be they just enter a nearby bus connector. Till now, I found
no actual schematics of the Eco system inside the newer F-Type's. What is sure, the 4 wires from the VQM have nothing to do with the button.
In the VW case, the modules are mostly connected across the Eco start/stop button. You could even imagine a bistable relay triggered by the led and making
connection permanent. Perhaps I will first test, if you stay the button pushed during ignition, if that disable the system.

Last edited by Cleantex; 12-09-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

As I've said before, you can mitigate the ECOstop in known situations (like your garage door) by simply creeping towards it. The engine won't stop while you are creeping.

We have some intersections where the stop time is VERY long (as the crossing traffic is prioritized). The ECO system saves fuel and cut emissions.

The 'break-even' point with any ecostop system is about seven seconds, according to this:

Old 12-09-2019, 07:40 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I hate starting an engine. It's fingernails on a blackboard to let the oil drain, then crank. Doing that a hundred times a day is about wearing the car out faster more than saving fuel.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I still use the start/stop on my VW, but its me that controls it, because I expect to know the traffic conditions better as my car, that has just one eye on his butt.
And like Arnie was saying, machines should never control human beings. Imagine a kitchen machine that refuse to work on patatoes. Sure that there is a way around.
You can feed it with some purple sort, so that it thinks that this cannot be patatoes. But I bet, to resolve this situation, some will take a sledge hammer.
If the industry offered a clean approach to the eco start/stop, it would not force owners to disable it completely. And as side effect people become aware of environment without being forced to hate it.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleantex
If the industry offered a clean approach to the eco start/stop, it would not force owners to disable it completely. And as side effect people become aware of environment without being forced to hate it.
The thing is corporations have a fiduciary responsibility to stock holders not to care unless it is cash flow positive. So they are always going to chase money then put a happy face on it, they have to. The stock holders would say they'll help the emvironment with the money they make, but to Jag, don't mix our business with your pleasure.

Last edited by RacerX; 12-09-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Just install a lithium battery. The peak voltage is insufficient to enable the EcoStart. No fuss..no warning lights. Also, no need to trickle charge or even change the battery but once every 15-20 years (yes, pricey, but not a lot more than a battery from the dealer).