F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eco start stop not working.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 10:46 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Eco start stop not working.

My Eco start stop seems to have stopped working. It hasn't for a year now. I know the temp outside and if the AC or heat needs to be on ETC affects how it functions. Now I am not complaining, I always turned it off at start up.
What I was thinking is the battery for the start stop has gone bad, and if it has, does this matter if I don't want the ECO to work. Does it affect anything else in the long run?
The green ECO light comes on at start but goes off after a second or 2 to never be seen again till the next start up. I have a 2015 base V6 with about 45K on it. If I need not be concerned I will chock it up to good fortune. If I need it checked, I do have the CPO warranty in effect. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Noshame
My Eco start stop seems to have stopped working. It hasn't for a year now. I know the temp outside and if the AC or heat needs to be on ETC affects how it functions. Now I am not complaining, I always turned it off at start up.
What I was thinking is the battery for the start stop has gone bad, and if it has, does this matter if I don't want the ECO to work. Does it affect anything else in the long run?
The green ECO light comes on at start but goes off after a second or 2 to never be seen again till the next start up. I have a 2015 base V6 with about 45K on it. If I need not be concerned I will chock it up to good fortune. If I need it checked, I do have the CPO warranty in effect. Thanks.
I see the same behavior by intentionally disconnecting the second battery so it sounds bad to me. Lots of people disconnect it without known side effects, so it is probably ok to leave alone unless you want the option. It would be funny to ask them to replace it and leave it disconnected, but why not?

Old 02-11-2020, 12:59 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am experiencing the same issues - I've only had my Jag a month and a bit now - the eco button operation is erratic, like maybe the last 2 of 10 starts it may illuminate, the rest of the time it's off. I plan on pulling the battery plug and pulling it out of the trunk. I battery tender mine in between every time it leaves the garage - I'm chocking it up to a deceased second battery and overall good fortune.

Anyone have the link to the pic of the second battery and how to disable/remove? If not, I'll disconnect the ground and just leave it in there.

Last edited by Taylorguy74; 02-11-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

[QUOTE
Anyone have the link to the pic of the second battery and how to disable/remove? If not, I'll disconnect the ground and just leave it in there.[/QUOTE]

disconnect the ground wire, disconnect the positive wire, remove the battery clamp, lift the battery out. Done.
There are no negative effects whatever from removing the second battery from the power equation. But there is a positive effect, no, two: first, you rid yourself of the annoyance of the stop/start system and second, you save 30 pounds of weight.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
BruceTheQuail (02-11-2020), Taylorguy74 (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 03:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eco didn't work at all when I bought my 2016 R a few weeks ago. I had the dealer take a look at it when I brought it in for maintenance and they applied a software update that resolved the issue.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
[QUOTE
Anyone have the link to the pic of the second battery and how to disable/remove? If not, I'll disconnect the ground and just leave it in there.
disconnect the ground wire, disconnect the positive wire, remove the battery clamp, lift the battery out. Done.
There are no negative effects whatever from removing the second battery from the power equation. But there is a positive effect, no, two: first, you rid yourself of the annoyance of the stop/start system and second, you save 30 pounds of weight.[/QUOTE]

10-4! Thanks!

Old 02-11-2020, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

Is that ridgey didge? We can just take out the second battery and zero issues from it? So all that it services is that annoying stop/start system?

Old 02-11-2020, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
[QUOTE
There are no negative effects whatever from removing the second battery from the power equation. But there is a positive effect, no, two: first, you rid yourself of the annoyance of the stop/start system and second, you save 30 pounds of weight.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it's as easy as that?
Coz I have looked at doing this and I can see no way of accessing the rearmost battery clamp bolt without ripping out all or most of the rear trim panels in the hatch, and I really don't want to do that so I haven't bothered.
Or is it different on the 'vert compared to my coupe?
Anyway, the very first day I got my F-Type home (3.4 years ago) I simply unbolted the earth lead from the secondary battery to where it bolts to the floor of the boot/hatch/trunk and zip tied it up out of the way, no more incredibly annoying and useless SS and zero problems or hassles ever since.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:33 PM

A bit complicated to look at for sure. V8S from the rear facing forward. Not so easy to understand the unplug and pull out. I unbolted the ground and zip tied up as suggested though.

Last edited by Taylorguy74; 02-11-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Taylorguy74
A bit complicated to look at for sure. V8S from the rear facing forward. Not so easy to understand the unplug and pull out. I unbolted the ground and zip tied up as suggested though.
Yep that should work.
Inspired by sov211 I decided just now to have another look at completely removing the secondary battery.
Success!
It's out and not quite as difficult as I first thought.
It just took a wobble extension and some skun knuckles to get that rearmost mounting nut off and no need to remove any trim pieces.
Four nuts and one bolt, all 10 mm, to get the battery tie down bracket off.
I left the little base plate in place as it's small and light and looked to be more hassle than it was worth to remove.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Is that ridgey didge? We can just take out the second battery and zero issues from it? So all that it services is that annoying stop/start system?
That's a big YES!

Old 02-11-2020, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep that should work.
Inspired by sov211 I decided just now to have another look at completely removing the secondary battery.
Success!
It's out and not quite as difficult as I first thought.
It just took a wobble extension and some skun knuckles to get that rearmost mounting nut off and no need to remove any trim pieces.
Four nuts and one bolt, all 10 mm, to get the battery tie down bracket off.
I left the little base plate in place as it's small and light and looked to be more hassle than it was worth to remove.
is the positive terminal on the side of the battery then? Those top twin wires are hot are they not? Can you post an after removal pic of the mounts and wires you left?

Old 02-11-2020, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

is the positive terminal on the side of the battery then? Those top twin wires are hot are they not? Can you post an after removal pic of the mounts and wires you left?
If you are talking about the secondary/small battery then both terminals are on top (but with the mounting nuts on the side).
I completely removed the secondary battery negative/earth lead from the car but I left the positive lead in place, zip tied up out of the way together with the end of the battery vent tube.
Here's a couple of pics of the end result showing the red positive lead and terminal cover near the middle, sorry they are a bit blurry!

Old 02-12-2020, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

After having the battery replaced once on warranty I've just left it alone after it died again. Seems to be ok since it's been about 2 years. Didn't fix as most on forum said why bother if I don't use eco anyway.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:38 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Good discussion, Thanks guys. I guess I will just leave well enough alone. If I get bored one day I will remove the battery.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
If you are talking about the secondary/small battery then both terminals are on top (but with the mounting nuts on the side).
I completely removed the secondary battery negative/earth lead from the car but I left the positive lead in place, zip tied up out of the way together with the end of the battery vent tube.
Here's a couple of pics of the end result showing the red positive lead and terminal cover near the middle, sorry they are a bit blurry!
So what I am thinking to do is disconnect the 2 large hot red leads from the fuse panel to the secondary battery and then removing the battery itself. Those red leads were hot when I attempted to remove last night. Maybe I need to allow the car to go to sleep prior to attempting again, or simply unplug the main battery before getting to work. Either way I'm happy that eco was off upon starting the car simply by removing the ground wire. 30 lbs seems like a whole lot for that little set up.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:49 AM
Thumbs up

Good discussion, Thanks guys. I guess I will just leave well enough alone. If I get bored one day I will remove the battery.
Agreed. Thanks everyone for the input. I'll take one last look tonight, but will probably just leave in place until a weekend permits.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:00 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Maybe I need to allow the car to go to sleep prior to attempting again, or simply unplug the main battery before getting to work.
Won't the car wake up when you open the doors/trunk?

Old 02-12-2020, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Won't the car wake up when you open the doors/trunk?
Leave the trunk open - it eventually goes to sleep/lights turn off in the interior. Should be good - hopefully. If not, battery disconnect for a few minutes is the plan.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

Folks who have removed the battery: Have you isolated the positive battery lead? (They made it bright RED for a reason...)

I can foresee going over a large BUMP, or loading weight in the boot, that would push the red terminal down and cause some sparks.

Quick Reply: Eco start stop not working.