F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eco start stop not working.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 04:37 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I have a 14, which I got CPO in 17. The eco has never worked, not once. Fine by me. No adverse consequences in three years. The other machine has it and it works. An annoyance. Better off without it.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Folks who have removed the battery: Have you isolated the positive battery lead? (They made it bright RED for a reason...)

I can foresee going over a large BUMP, or loading weight in the boot, that would push the red terminal down and cause some sparks.
Yep, I zip tied the positive lead end up out of the way so it can't contact anything. If you look reeeeeeal hard at my terribly blurry pics below you can just make the zip tie - going around the middle of the top part of the bright red terminal cover - there is a nice convenient piece of stiff insulated wiring there to tie it to.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:26 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok so I am new to the f type. 2014 v8s. is the second battery only for the eco mode or does it power other things in the car? My eco mode was working now does not seem to work.
If the battery is dead is it ok to just leave it alone?

Old 02-12-2020, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004XJ8
Ok so I am new to the f type. 2014 v8s. is the second battery only for the eco mode or does it power other things in the car? My eco mode was working now does not seem to work.
If the battery is dead is it ok to just leave it alone?
This has been debated many times across several forums, but it works this way:
The stop-start/second/small battery powers the peripherals (HVAC, infotainment, lights etc) during the one or two seconds that the engine takes to restart after having been shut down by the SS system. It does not start the engine (ie power the starter motor), the main battery does that coz it (the secondary battery) doesn't have enough power (amps) for that while the main battery does. But the starter motor needs ALL the juice from the main battery to fire up so the secondary battery takes the load of the peripherals off it while the starter motor is cranking.
Then, once the engine has restarted, the main battery takes over powering everything again and the secondary battery goes back to sleep.
The SS will fail to work if EITHER the main or the secondary battery are low on voltage, and for a huge range of other reasons as set out in your Owner Manual (such as too much drain on the system by the peripherals, ambient temp too low etc etc).
And yes, the secondary battery is only for eco mode, removing it completely (as I have now done) effects nothing other than eco mode by permanently disabling SS.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:51 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I’d also check to see if your main battery has been replaced. I’ll probably chicken out and replace my OEM one this year before it fails.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:21 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi thank you for the answers to my questions. It is much appreciated.

I live in the Boston area , purchased my car In December. Which means living in the Northeast the car does not get driven in the Winter per say.
It is garaged. We have had some very mild weather this winter and which means I have driven it a little. I was worried that buying it this time of year would not
give me the opportunity to vet the car for any problems.

Yesterday I t went to the Jaguar dealer for a used car purchase inspection and oil change and seatbelt tensioner recall. I purchased the car from a non Jaguar dealer and have 90 day warranty and wanted it checked out by the Jaguar dealer.

The dealer I purchased it from did change the oil but I was worried they may have not used the recommended 0-20w. So I had Jag do the oil change at the same time they did the used car inspection.

They told me they could find nothing wrong with the car inside or out. They did check the charging system and battery and said all was good but did not mention anything about the second battery being bad.

So I also got what I thought was a funny reaction to my car given Its a Jaguar at a Jaguar dealer. 3 employee's the tech that worked on it, a service advisor (not the one that checked me in and out) and an office assistant all were fawning over the car wow great car you have!. The tech said you have a really nice car there. I was wondering if maybe the color was unique and they hadn't seen the Firesand orange before or at least not much.

I know it is a bit off topic but thought I would share that experience.