F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU Tuning Group | Jaguar F-Type with ECU/Pulley Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts

Jerry,

Please post your before and after dyno pull comparison.

Thanks,

Walt

Old 08-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

And please cut back on the use of exclamation marks! One is enough!!! Two or more suggests that you need to cut back on the caffeine!!!!! More than four suggests you require medication!!!!!!!!

Ahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by F-typical; 08-13-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Smilie
Old 08-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
And please cut back on the use of exclamation marks! One is enough!!! Two or more suggests that you need to cut back on the caffeine!!!!! More than four suggests you require medication!!!!!!!!

Ahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
I must be "committed" then!!!!!! The Crazy House!!!!!!!
LOL!!!!!!!

Sorry guys, but I did not do a before and after!!!!! Only the after, but I have to admit that there is a substantial increase, the wife got it impounded twice and will soon be walking to work!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!! That's good for me, great work Jag!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 PM

ECU Tuning,

Please identify yourself. Are you the owner, tuner and what is your name? Would be nice to know who we are conversing with.

Also, other threads concerning tuning the Jag ECU seem to state an issue with the reflashed tune remaining the primary and used tune. Further it has been stated that there are 8 different tunes on the ECU from the factory and that even though your tune may be in position #1. If there is an event whereby the system feels there is a problem it will automatically switch to one of the other protective 7 tunes.

What is your knowledge about this? If true, what do you do to ensure your tune remains primary and the ECU does not switch over to number 2-7?

Thanks,

Walt

Old 08-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
ECU Tuning,

Please identify yourself. Are you the owner, tuner and what is your name? Would be nice to know who we are conversing with.

Also, other threads concerning tuning the Jag ECU seem to state an issue with the reflashed tune remaining the primary and used tune. Further it has been stated that there are 8 different tunes on the ECU from the factory and that even though your tune may be in position #1. If there is an event whereby the system feels there is a problem it will automatically switch to one of the other protective 7 tunes.

What is your knowledge about this? If true, what do you do to ensure your tune remains primary and the ECU does not switch over to number 2-7?

Thanks,

Walt
This is the sales team. We responded to the thread about how it was BS.

We've been tuning the 5.0 Supercharged engine since 2009, the first engine was done for Overfinch of North America. No issues, no problems, no cars going back to stock by themselves. If one tuner who doesn't want to identify himself makes an idiotic comment which makes no sense, how are we to answer that? We tune 4 or 5 of these engines on a daily basis around the country. Walt, we've been in this industry since 1991. We had front covers on magazines back in 1993 (you can read our blog) and can say we know what we're taking about.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I would assume that Jaguar would 'null and void' the warranty if they knew someone had a 'tune' performed, in the event of an engine failure.. or do they not have a way of knowing that a tune was performed?
Lawrence

Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I would assume that Jaguar would 'null and void' the warranty if they knew someone had a 'tune' performed, in the event of an engine failure.. or do they not have a way of knowing that a tune was performed?
Lawrence
Our tune is undetectable. 90% of our work is for dealerships.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:51 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by sales@ECU Tuning Group
This is the sales team. We responded to the thread about how it was BS.

We've been tuning the 5.0 Supercharged engine since 2009, the first engine was done for Overfinch of North America. No issues, no problems, no cars going back to stock by themselves. If one tuner who doesn't want to identify himself makes an idiotic comment which makes no sense, how are we to answer that? We tune 4 or 5 of these engines on a daily basis around the country. Walt, we've been in this industry since 1991. We had front covers on magazines back in 1993 (you can read our blog) and can say we know what we're taking about.

The tune going back to stock was verified by the car owner doing a dyno and his obvious operation of the car, one can not argue with this. The current tuner of the car, RSC, simply gave an explanation for what caused this to happen. The original tuner, EuroCharged, of the car wanted to ignore the problem, was paid for the service and never warrantied the tune or even addressed the problem. I have followed Maxima's mods and his tune and I'm sure his interest are only in maintaining his car with the setup he paid for. If he says his car lost the tune, his car lost the tune. He has never been concerned with the money only the performance.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm interested in an ECU tune, and I'd like to support you guys because you have a location in the Bay Area.

But, I have some suggestions:

1. I don't think it's correct to say that your tune is undetectable. Certainly, if users buy the pulley+ECU tune the pulley will be quite obvious. For the ECU-only product, it might be undetectable but it would be helpful if you explained how (i.e. because users can reflash the ECU to stock before dealer servicing?).

2. It'd be good if you could update your website with some more information. Currently, there is no dyno sheet for the F-Type, and no real description of what we are buying and what we are getting for $1295++ (I note that the home flash costs an extra $95). You are selling this product for a considerable premium over, for example, the OE Tuning Group's product (https://oetuning.com/oe-tuning-produ...ar-f-type.html). So it's a pretty tough proposition for customers to just "buy on faith" without knowing what we are getting. Would you buy a $1,295 product on Amazon.com which had no photograph, no description, and no specifications, and then bolt it onto a $100K car?

3. I think the basic info customers would want is: (a) how does the flash process work; (b) is it possible to reflash to stock ECU, and if so, is it detectable by the dealer; (c) is there a limit to how many times we can reflash, e.g. if I have 4 service issues a year can I keep flashing and reflashing without incurring costs or ECU failure; (d) what are we getting....what are the before/after torque and HP curves; (e) what kind of gasoline the tune needs; (f) how does the installation work, do we need to take the car in (and if so, how much labor is required), etc.

You could sell a whole lot more product if the website was more informative.

Again, I actually want to support you guys because you've got a good reputation and you've invested in locations throughout California....but it's kinda hard for me to pull the trigger and take warranty risk on a product that is more expensive than competitors, with no real description or specs.

Fix the website! Your yelp and customer reviews are great, so you guys are really leaving a lot of money on the table by not giving customers basic product information to make a reasonably informed purchase.

Good luck, I'll definitely be modding my F-Type but I think I'll wait till more substantial info is available.

The following 2 users liked this post by schraderade:
axr6 (08-13-2014), WaltB (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
...Maxima's tune issues...
There is already a thread discussing this issue....

Old 08-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

That is not true IDS shows a non factory tune. I have seen the print outs. It also will show if & when it was modified and then put back to oem specs.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:22 PM

Schraderade makes very valid points! I previously requested a before and after dyno chart and your reply was "next time one comes in we'll see if we can measure the before and after". Wrong answer. In my mind all tuners should readily have that documentation. They should have before and after AFR plots and they should have a very detailed itemization of what they are selling with multiple pulls on different cars as proof. The information you have is incomplete at best.

Posting a chart and stating the engine makes 618HP means nothing without all the relevant facts to back it up. That requires a before chart on the same dyno under the same relative conditions used as a baseline. As a tuner, surely you must know this already so why is it you do not have this documentation available?

I previously asked you to identify yourself. I like to know whom at ECU Tuning Group I am chatting with. Responding that you are the sales team at ECU Tuning did not answer my question. So because of your lack of acceptable answers, lack of performance documentation and my unease with your products true capabilities you have lost me as a potential customer.

FYI, as you can see in my signature I have two very expensive Porsche's and both have tunes. The difference if documentation and credibility between those two tuners and ECU Tuning is the difference between night and day.

You need to work on documentation and presentation or accept the fact that there are a lot of guys like me that will take their business elsewhere.

And my name is Walt.

Last edited by WaltB; 08-13-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Former Sponsor

First off I would like to apologize to our existing customers for not paying more attention to this forum for a longtime because quite honestly it can become draining.

We posted a dyno sheet, which was sent to us by a forum member; it was not a sales pitch but rather to share the results with the community. ECU Tuning Group is not a sales company; those who have worked with us know this.

We offer tuning solutions for many vehicles including Jaguar/Range Rover. It is hard for us to list everything for every vehicle, and we know our website is not the most informative but our products work and work well.

The majority of our clientele is by referral or through dealerships (most of our work is from dealerships). Our prices are on our website and might not suit everyone’s pocket. However, we fully understand this. Like most things in life, if something were not in my price range I would just move on. Example: If I see a suit in Savile Row and it is out of my budget I would not stand outside protesting about the price, I would hold off until I could afford it. I know that if I purchased or wore a cheaper suit or one with less quality I would not be happy.

Some people want a cheap product and do not care if it works well or not... it is great because it is cheap. If a forum member sees something that is cheaper than our product and purchases it, we will not get mad or bad mouth the product to make a sale. I know some of the car owners have dug deep into their pockets to purchase a car and do not have room to buy an upgrade, that’s ok too. The reason why I am writing this is to explain that for those who are serious about tuning their car they can easily pick up the phone and speak to either myself or one of my team and all their questions will be answered. It takes a lot time away from existing or paying customers to answer questions and respond to these posts, especially when half of these questions can be answered within a few minutes via telephone.

So please gentlemen do not be offended, I'm just a business owner who runs a business, just like some of you here.

Regards,

Jags

Old 08-14-2014, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

So please gentlemen do not be offended, I'm just a business owner who runs a business, just like some of you here.

Regards,

Jags
Hi Jags, thanks for responding with such grace. I hear ya.

Actually for me at least, this isn't an issue of affordability. I have no problem with the price, it's more that I don't know what I'm getting.
You're right, I can pick up the phone. I just wanted to suggest that by spending a little time improving the site and providing some basic product information, it would be more effective for growing the business than asking everyone to call you: I would bet that a lot of potential customers who are willing to spend for a great solution might never get to make that phone call and never get to learn about the great product you've built because they just close the browser window after hitting the site.

But, it's a free country built on free enterprise, and you are in this business so I fully accept that this may be the right way for you to do business....after all, there are plenty of great businesses out there which do very little marketing and depend on word of mouth.
Appreciate your investment in the F-Type product....it's really nice to see that you guys got it ready so quickly.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 700 hp

So Jag,

When do we get 700 hp????? Seems that's the next level that everyone is gunning for!!!!!!! It feels it was just yesterday that 400 hp was the number to hit!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!

Jerry,

Old 08-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the delay all, been working with Jag and the vendor (NOT ECU Tuning Group).

Yes, I posted in another thread that my pulley fail was due to a wreck, but after taking it to Jag, they stated it was actually due to the pulley falling off, that the intake was actually at it's "normal" position, so this was not related to the wreck (which for those that did not see, it was a slight parking lot collision, where the only damage was a tear in the clear bra)..

The pulley was heated and slid on, there is not room to use a tool to press a pulley on (which is what the vendor, and the installer both agreed upon) without pulling the SC. Basically they super heated and cooled the shaft to get this on.

So far, the vendor has stated only that their "part is perfect", and have only offered a replacement pulley (and reflash if Jag wipes my computer which they say they will).

Of course I'm not going to risk another blown SC for this, so the vendor has not really offered up any solutions despite several emails, and 1 un-returned phone call yesterday.

FWIW, the installer wrote a note to the vendor, which I will post below.

Gentleman,

I never said the part, (pulley) was screwy but the procedure required to remove and reinstall the new pulley is sketchy IMHO and the fact that heating up the
shaft can compromise the integrity of the metal. Furthermore, I told the customer that sliding the pulley over the shaft and cooling it quickly to make it expand and hopefully hold it into place is not something we have ever done or suggest be done.
My lead tech and I both told the customer that we would install it as told but would not be responsible.

He is correct that we have installed several hundred pulleys on mainly Eaton based positive displacement blowers and they
have always been bolted on with a hub or pressed on with a proper tool and I have never seen a pulley slide down the shaft
and into to the supercharger housing as this did.

I don’t doubt that this has been done but I think relying on this procedure to permanently hold something on a steel shaft that has been superheated and consistently spins above 9,000 rpm is ludicrous at best.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by nsane1
Sorry for the delay all, been working with Jag and the vendor (NOT ECU Tuning Group).

The pulley was heated and slid on, there is not room to use a tool to press a pulley on (which is what the vendor, and the installer both agreed upon) without pulling the SC. Basically they super heated and cooled the shaft to get this on.

Gentleman,

I never said the part, (pulley) was screwy but the procedure required to remove and reinstall the new pulley is sketchy IMHO and the fact that heating up the
shaft can compromise the integrity of the metal. Furthermore, I told the customer that sliding the pulley over the shaft and cooling it quickly to make it expand and hopefully hold it into place is not something we have ever done or suggest be done.
My lead tech and I both told the customer that we would install it as told but would not be responsible.

He is correct that we have installed several hundred pulleys on mainly Eaton based positive displacement blowers and they
have always been bolted on with a hub or pressed on with a proper tool and I have never seen a pulley slide down the shaft
and into to the supercharger housing as this did.

I don’t doubt that this has been done but I think relying on this procedure to permanently hold something on a steel shaft that has been superheated and consistently spins above 9,000 rpm is ludicrous at best.
I have to ask why the shaft was heated up. That is the last thing you would want to do. We have always heated the pulley in a toaster oven @ 350 for about 1/2 hour the slid the pulley on. The other way to install the pulley in the car is to thread the hole in the nose & use a power steering pump pulley installer. This is the way most are also installed on the M112 Eaton as well.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Received 6,305 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Originally Posted by nsane1

Gentleman,

I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what was done from this description.

Heating the pulley and/or cooling the shaft are normal procedures in many applications.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just signed up for a pulley and tune at Eurocharged in Houston to be performed on Wednesday this week. We discussed the before and after dyno, which I was ready to buy.

But considering I only have 1,000 mi on the car since new I declined the before tune dyno due to break in. Going to redline with a only 1,000 miles is not a good idea IMO.
I could wait several months to get the pulley and tune but I want it NOW!
(Black Friday Special)

Could be I'm not alone in this causing a reduced number of before tune runs available.

I may go back later for an after dyno and will be happy to post if I do.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

I would be interested in getting the V8 done once it is out of warranty.

'A picture speaks a thousand words' however, and in my opinion, a professional business with your volume would dyno the car BEFORE any claims were made i.e have a 'benchmark' as a direct comparison surely?

For me, it's the most crucial bit of data I would need to see before I committed my $ or £'s.

BTW, you cool the shaft and warm the pulley, but I'm not sure if you actually did that ;-)

I for one am not convinced....yet.

Last edited by Tel; 12-01-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Because I didn't get chance to put lots of !!!!!!!!! in!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Group | Jaguar F-Type with ECU/Pulley Upgrade