F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Future: All Current Jaguar Models Dead by 2025

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 06:52 PM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMoke
I get what your saying. I personally do not believe EVs are the way forward, but then again I would have been the guy that bought stock in Betamax. It’s not necessarily the best technology that wins. Usually it’s other external factors that determines the path we take. Battery technology is woefully inefficient and a little dangerous to be honest. But public and political opinion seems to be forcing us into a BEV future.

Battery technology has improved over the last few years but it seems the Holy Grail of solid state batteries is about as far fetched as nuclear fusion these days. It was only a couple of years ago that every man and his dog were right on the cusp of a paradigm shift in technology. What happened to that? BS, that’s what.

The only EV car company right now that is making the technology feasible is Lucid right now. It seems they have really nailed it in terms of drivetrain and motor efficiency given current technology.

Sadly I don’t think JLR have the recourses to compete in this market—as good as the I-Pace is. Perhaps this is why they are collaborating with BMW on EV powertrains.

My wife’s F-type is due in January. It may be the last Jag we buy unfortunately. I do hope that’s not the case.

Btw, I think Polestar is about as exciting as a wet weekend in Skegness, so give me a Jag EV! 😄
I need an "American" translation for "Skegness" in order to truly understand the meaning....

Old 12-12-2021, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I think that plan is a bit pre mature, Unless they can build an EV that looks like an XK or F type. I don't see this ending well. Jaguar will likely lose what little market they had.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:31 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by KalamazooJag
I need an "American" translation for "Skegness" in order to truly understand the meaning....
Tacky seaside town?

Old 12-13-2021, 07:18 AM
Received 256 Likes on 130 Posts

After looking as a special or two on YouTube about hydrogen ICE's, I think it would be good for companies to look at hydrogen - if you can make power like an F type with that sort of engine.....it is clean and possibly cheap....and would "SOUND" a lot better than an EV likely will.... Sound matters a lot. Not sure how the infrastructure would handle it...but it would figure it out.

Hoping efuel happens on this end.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:28 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Here is some speculation on the Electric F-Type, I could get behind a car with these specs but they are likely over optimistic, still...

Old 12-14-2021, 11:22 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Although I drive a "Green" car, ie: british racing green, I'll be buying & driving a V8 gas-powered car for at least the next 10 - 15 years.
If Jag stops making them, I'll go back to my previous gas-powered Vettes...

Old 12-14-2021, 01:39 PM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
Although I drive a "Green" car, ie: british racing green, I'll be buying & driving a V8 gas-powered car for at least the next 10 - 15 years.
If Jag stops making them, I'll go back to my previous gas-powered Vettes...
I drive a black F-Type and a black XJL, but only because they have IC engines. I have owned 5 jaguars and consider myself a fanatic/addict/enthusiast...but, the moment Jaguar no longer offers IC engines, will be the last Jaguar I own. With 1 exception...depending on how they "reimagine" their flagship saloon. If it's truly a "Jaguar" and not a bmw lookalike, I would consider it. I continue to hold out for a return of the 6.0L V12 (w/supercharger for modernity).

Old 12-14-2021, 07:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

well..... time will tell..... our F-Type will be in demand more and more....... " Shell's Blue Fuel is my fuel of choice now.... and will evolve to support the Green Movements.......... this whole electric thing is nuts and will become a big % of cars about town, but the ongoing costs will weight in and then the glamor will
be gone.... $$$$$, and so many have no real grown up local independent Dealer shops, body repair... act. to support them.....
Tesla will soon transition to Independent Dealers if it is to maintain it's strong position in the American markets.... Power of the Entrepreneur's , Brand Loyalty
note: the total number of car makers worldwide from pre-Ford was ~ 1,500 worldwide and then faded....... down, down, and down.........

Old 04-06-2022, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OMG! Never thought of that!

Old 04-06-2022, 09:53 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMoke
I get what your saying. I personally do not believe EVs are the way forward, but then again I would have been the guy that bought stock in Betamax. It’s not necessarily the best technology that wins. Usually it’s other external factors that determines the path we take. Battery technology is woefully inefficient and a little dangerous to be honest. But public and political opinion seems to be forcing us into a BEV future.

Battery technology has improved over the last few years but it seems the Holy Grail of solid state batteries is about as far fetched as nuclear fusion these days. It was only a couple of years ago that every man and his dog were right on the cusp of a paradigm shift in technology. What happened to that? BS, that’s what.

The only EV car company right now that is making the technology feasible is Lucid right now. It seems they have really nailed it in terms of drivetrain and motor efficiency given current technology.

Sadly I don’t think JLR have the recourses to compete in this market—as good as the I-Pace is. Perhaps this is why they are collaborating with BMW on EV powertrains.

My wife’s F-type is due in January. It may be the last Jag we buy unfortunately. I do hope that’s not the case.

Btw, I think Polestar is about as exciting as a wet weekend in Skegness, so give me a Jag EV! 😄
I'm expecting to take delivery of my Lucid AGT sometime in the next few months, 800 HP daily driver with 500 miles of range and fast charging that will give you over 300 miles in 20 minutes.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Here in California where the push for electric cars is greatest, we already have a problem with rolling blackouts (or brownouts as I think they're called). California has over 31,000,000 registered vehicles on the road as of 2021. Can you even imagine adding 30 million electric vehicles to the grid, we'd be dark most of the time, especially as California's requirement to transition to renewable energy continues to mandate higher percentages of such energy each year. I have never believed that electric vehicles would be the answer, I think hydrogen powered vehicles will ultimately be the fuel of choice for the future. That is. of course, unless fossil fuel sources continue to power up the national grid. I guess getting into the muffler business right now is not the smartest idea.

The following 4 users liked this post by tberg:
19FRG (04-08-2022), eeeeek (04-08-2022), Nodnarb (04-07-2022), XJ8JR (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,634 Likes on 8,309 Posts
Old 04-08-2022, 09:52 AM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
Oh yes....NPR ...A reliable source for DOCUMENTED untruths over the years!

The following users liked this post:
bcbruno (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 10:36 AM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky H
Oh yes....NPR ...A reliable source for DOCUMENTED untruths over the years!
It's amazing what the science geeks discover and invent.

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1063/5.0085205

Old 04-08-2022, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Here in California where the push for electric cars is greatest, we already have a problem with rolling blackouts (or brownouts as I think they're called). California has over 31,000,000 registered vehicles on the road as of 2021. Can you even imagine adding 30 million electric vehicles to the grid, we'd be dark most of the time, especially as California's requirement to transition to renewable energy continues to mandate higher percentages of such energy each year. I have never believed that electric vehicles would be the answer, I think hydrogen powered vehicles will ultimately be the fuel of choice for the future. That is. of course, unless fossil fuel sources continue to power up the national grid. I guess getting into the muffler business right now is not the smartest idea.
Exactly this.

Old 04-08-2022, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

I had an electric car for three years. At the end of the lease, I picked up my F-Type R. Here's a list of reasons.

1) Plug in hybrids. Plug in hybrids would use charging spots as up close reserved parking. It got so I could never get a public charging spot.
2) Building on above, lack of charging spots. When I got my EV, there were 9 spots at my work. After 2 years, there were 13 EVs and many people didn't have the common courtesy to move their car at lunch time. If you weren't one of the first 9 in, you might get screwed
3)Charge at home. If you do not install a big charge, you are using a 15/20 amp that will take more than all night. If for any reason it errors out, you're SOL. If you do have one of the beefier chargers, you can charge in a couple of hours, but if you try to schedule your charge to happen in the middle of the night when electricity is cheaper and there is an error/brownout/whatever, you are in trouble
4)Cold weather. Cold reduces the range by about 20-25%
5) Hills. I can not describe how bad going up hills is for EVs. I lost 45 miles of range going from Rocklin, CA, to Auburn, CA. That was roughly 15 miles. Going downhill I got much of it back, but if I needed to go to Lake Tahoe, for example, that 60 mile trip would likely use 120-150 miles of range.

There are many obstacles hat need to be overcome to make EVs the better choice. It would be better to legislate the need for cleaner, not dictate then manner in which it is provided. Case in point, the way the legislation is written for green energy, some power companies are not able to count existing hydro electric. I honestly don't think EVs are the answer. Perhaps Hydrogen, maybe froot loops. I don't know, but mandating one solution is flawed.

The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
KalamazooJag (04-08-2022), scm (04-08-2022)