Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 07:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical Issues

Hello Fellow X Type owners
I have some weird problems appear recently and wonder if anyone knows what the issue might be

firstly my washed fluid battle appeared to leak and the sensor said it was empty.
it was serviced and I need to change the sensor perhaps
then a few weeks later the AC starting acting strange, if its set to a temperate its either blasting hot air or freezing air which is not fun on a long trip.

the other day one of my headlights went out, pressing the button on the key fob the lamp flickers a little then some on and off again.
then the other bulb went out and the first one starts working again after a flicker but they are not bright.

Full beam has stopped working and then the lights completely stopped working at the front only.
if i turn them off via the stick I get the parking light.
nothing is reported on the dash display as far as the car looks to be concerned the lights are working normally

then The screen on the infotainment went pink for an hour and then started working again.

Any idea’s.

I have read battery might be an issue but its not reporting any issues, I also read about the connection area behind the front right wheel where the washer bottle is located.
Sounds like some electrical gremlins but concerned that there is not allot to go on.
Cheers

Old 10-23-2022, 07:14 AM

F Type not X

Old 10-23-2022, 08:56 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

As you've no doubt read, first step is to make sure the battery is fully charged and then diagnose from there. Random intermittency could indicate dodgy battery or earth connections somewhere, so worth checking those. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2022, 08:59 AM

Thank you, I will test the battery tested next week as the first step. Its not reporting a drain but it was in summer with short trips and AC on when it was crazy hot in the UK.
New battery would not hurt anyhow, the connections all look good from what I can see anyway.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Not sure what you mean by the battery “not reporting any drain”. But your symptoms definitely suggest that your battery is not fully charged. A new battery may well be the cure BUT (and please note this) a new battery will NOT be fully charged when purchased. If you install a partially charged new battery and use the car for short runs, or especially, short runs infrequently, then the battery will not ever reach full charge and the result will be persistent electrical issues.

As a first step you should *fully* charge the existing battery and verify the soundness of the battery and ground (earth) connections. Investment in a good battery maintainer (such as the CTEK) virtually guarantees no further issues.

Old 11-03-2022, 08:58 AM

Hello there
Just to follow up on this for other people.
My battery was tested and reported at being 100% holding its charge but the rating should be 850EN and it was 641EN
State of health was 75% and the F Type does not like this even if state of charge is 100%

Things that randomly fixed themselves when the battery was replaced.

1) AC not detecting the temperature properly
2) The windscreen washers thinking they were empty
3) Infotainment screen randomly going pink
4) Engine speed dropping when stearing
5) Start Stop started working again

Amazing and all good now.
As previous people said check that battery just because it starts doesn't mean its good.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Thanks for this follow-up report, Sean. The following comments are not related directly to your case.

When the car owner is faced with multiple problems arising at the same time, the initial reaction is to blame the manufacturer for producing yet another “lemon”. And we all know how nicely that plays into the myth of a lack of reliability.
A very experienced Jaguar mechanic once told me that “there are no lemons. There are only owners who do not understand their cars”. This is more true than ever.
On these forum lists we have dealt with owners unable or unwilling to even read the owner’s manual that came with the car, owners who do not understand the enormous electronic complexity of modern luxury vehicles (and the electrical power needed to feed them), well-meaning friends who cannot understand that a warning light regarding the ABS - coupled with a failure of the touch screen - can be traced to the fact that the F-Type is driven only twice a month and then only for 20 minutes or so….

The mantra: “battery, battery, battery” (meaning the battery itself and its connections) should be practiced daily.

This is not to deny that there can indeed be other causes for certain problems, and more involved solutions, but Occam was right. Most often, the simplest solution is the right one.

The following users liked this post:
scm (11-03-2022)