F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency... can not get into gear in my manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

My F-type failed with zero bang shifting involved. I knew the car would not survive it due to under-designed components the moment I took a first look at drive train on the lift.

A proper sports car should be able to survive this level of abuse. Sadly, F-type is fragile and consequently can't survive when used as a sports car.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:44 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
My F-type failed with zero bang shifting involved. I knew the car would not survive it due to under-designed components the moment I took a first look at drive train on the lift.

A proper sports car should be able to survive this level of abuse. Sadly, F-type is fragile and consequently can't survive when used as a sports car.
Well that’s certainly not encouraging...

Old 04-25-2018, 12:16 PM

Just got the car back yesterday in good shape. They replaced the transmission but did not replace the clutch. But the clutch feels like it grabs better now, maybe it was adjusted somehow? Either way, I'm happy.

New problem cropped up again today though. I can't take the traction control off. The button stuck the first time I did and now it doesn't work at all. This happened a few times when I first got the car back in December but then stopped entirely... until now. Hoping the issue goes away on its own again, but I wonder if the stuck button causes some internal flag to trip that disables the button entirely until X amount of time or battery disconnected or ???

Old 04-25-2018, 02:20 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I noticed that in cold weather when the snow flake appears on the dash, I can’t remove traction control. After the weather warms up, it works fine.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:26 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by approx
Just got the car back yesterday in good shape. They replaced the transmission but did not replace the clutch. But the clutch feels like it grabs better now, maybe it was adjusted somehow? Either way, I'm happy.

New problem cropped up again today though. I can't take the traction control off. The button stuck the first time I did and now it doesn't work at all. This happened a few times when I first got the car back in December but then stopped entirely... until now. Hoping the issue goes away on its own again, but I wonder if the stuck button causes some internal flag to trip that disables the button entirely until X amount of time or battery disconnected or ???
What year is your F Type? I know the 2016 year (first year MT) had clutch problems so curious if yours is a 2017 and still having clutch problems or maybe a transmission issue sprouted in 2017.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Buckingham
I noticed that in cold weather when the snow flake appears on the dash, I can’t remove traction control. After the weather warms up, it works fine.
Strange... I've been able to remove traction control in any weather. It turns off if I use cruise control (a sensible thing), but other than that, weather doesn't matter.
Originally Posted by El Gato
What year is your F Type? I know the 2016 year (first year MT) had clutch problems so curious if yours is a 2017 and still having clutch problems or maybe a transmission issue sprouted in 2017.
2016, but it was a later vin from what I heard. 31xxx. It may have the 2nd gen clutch...

This shop in particular has not ever replaced a clutch on F-Types but has replaced a few transmissions. Interesting that it runs so counter from the anecdotes found here.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Strange... I've been able to remove traction control in any weather. It turns off if I use cruise control (a sensible thing), but other than that, weather doesn't matter.

2016, but it was a later vin from what I heard. 31xxx. It may have the 2nd gen clutch...

This shop in particular has not ever replaced a clutch on F-Types but has replaced a few transmissions. Interesting that it runs so counter from the anecdotes found here.
generation one and two clutches both had problems, and Jag is already up to generation four for the F-Type. I’m not certain what the issues were with generation three clutches. Still waiting on a performance clutch manufacture to finish building a real clutch for me.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Had similar experience

I am also on my third clutch. First one was replaced at 502 miles for slipping and at 736 miles I could not get the car into any gear unless the engine was off so it had to be flat bedded to the dealership. Luckily, this last incident occurred as I was pulling into my garage. Again they replaced clutch assembly, throw out bearing and flywheel. I am at almost 1500 miles now and it has been driving well but I barely push it. Only time will tell if this latest clutch lasts. The dealer has been fairly decent on response although they admit that their experience with the manuals is extremely limited as they told me they have only serviced one other manual F type. The thread referred to earlier regarding clutch replacements was indispensable while I was dealing with these issues on a practically brand new car. Big thanks to Unhingd and SinF and any others that posted, it helped me maintain my sanity.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (05-18-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 10:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Add me to the club at 17k miles

2017 V6S, never thought I had issues until last night, driving home on city streets, all of a sudden the gear shifter felt "stiff" and then at the light I could not engage first gear. Cycle clutch pedal in and out, same result, I finally coaxed it into 2nd gear and limped home, it would fight against the fully depressed clutch pedal a bit when I got stuck at the stop lights but it didn't stall and I made it home. At home, shut it off and restarted just to check and had same results, of course it changes gears just fine with the car off.

Arranging for a tow to the dealer tomorrow. Any magic words to use to be sure this is a warranty repair?

Old 05-16-2018, 11:08 PM

No magic words for me! I just explained the symptoms and they said they’d take a look. After driving it themselves and confirming the symptoms, they said it would be covered under warranty.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

If the car is less than 2 years old with less than 15,000 miles, you likely will have no issue. After that they will claim ordinary wear and tear even though it is clear that it is a clutch mechanism failure that won't fully disengage rather than a worn/slipping clutch. I am now on my 4th clutch after only 23k miles. Jag replaced the first 2, I had to replace the last. Welcome to the world of F-Type MTs. Jag has forgotten how to build them )at least their suppliers have). There is an epidemic of these failures
I am working with a performance clutch company to have them build a heavy duty clutch that will work and last properly (also a lightened flywheel). I will check with them today on their progress.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (05-18-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 01:25 PM

Well in my case, they said it was a transmission failure and replaced the transmission. That's what they told me, however the clutch feels much different than before. Either they adjusted it to be tighter, or it ended up being replaced along with the transmission. I can chirp the tires doing a normal shift into 2nd gear on a warm day - before, the clutch would just slip a bit. But the shop said it was a transmission problem, not a clutch problem.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

The clutch is self-adjusting, so I expect it was replaced with the transmission. When my car wouldn't go into gear it was because the clutch was coming apart. There was a piece that had come loose and was floating around. It prevented the clutch from fully disengaging, but dropped out of the way by the time the technician got to it so it seemed "normal" during his road test. I demonstrated the other failure mode though, slipping under load, and got it replaced under warranty.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
The clutch is self-adjusting, so I expect it was replaced with the transmission. When my car wouldn't go into gear it was because the clutch was coming apart. There was a piece that had come loose and was floating around. It prevented the clutch from fully disengaging, but dropped out of the way by the time the technician got to it so it seemed "normal" during his road test. I demonstrated the other failure mode though, slipping under load, and got it replaced under warranty.
Fascinating. I wonder if my dealer isn't being truthful for some reason.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Fascinating. I wonder if my dealer isn't being truthful for some reason.
That's a bit of a leap to make without other data. It could have been the gearbox. It might also be that they concluded it was the gearbox and replaced the clutch as well. In that case, the problem could have been either, but you got the new clutch anyway.

Technicians experienced in clutch and manual transmission problems are getting more scarce every year.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
That's a bit of a leap to make without other data. It could have been the gearbox. It might also be that they concluded it was the gearbox and replaced the clutch as well. In that case, the problem could have been either, but you got the new clutch anyway.

Technicians experienced in clutch and manual transmission problems are getting more scarce every year.
So are drivers! Apparently my shop only has one of them who can actually drive a manual, and he's not very good at it!

Old 05-18-2018, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

I had both clutch and gearbox failures. Both are possible independent (?) of each other.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:00 AM

Mine failed again last night... started off the drive home normally, and it quickly became harder and harder to transition into any gear from any gear. About 5 minutes in, I nicked my knuckles on the dash getting it into third because I had to push so hard, so I just left it in 3rd the rest of the way home. When I got home, I couldn’t get it into any gear without turning the car off and starting it up in that gear.

SIGH. Barely more than 1000 miles on the new transmission. This is ridiculous and incredibly disappointing.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

The issue you describe is clutch related, and not transmission. While clutch disks are internal part of automatic transmission, clutch in a manual transmission is external and completely separate part.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
The issue you describe is clutch related, and not transmission. While clutch disks are internal part of automatic transmission, clutch in a manual transmission is external and completely separate part.
Well it’s essentially the same problem as I had before and the dealer replaced the transmission...

Quick Reply: Emergency... can not get into gear in my manual trans