F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency equipment

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 06:06 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Emergency equipment

I'm a old school type of guy, my f type has no spare or much of anything. I had a bmw Bavaria that had a tool kit much like other cars. When owning motorcycles I always carried parts and tools, ok I'll admit it was a Harley Davidson. This is my emergency kit, any additional tools not including bourbon.

What's in your trunk?

Last edited by frank barone; 02-11-2022 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:50 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

I like the tire plug kit, I carry one in my P/U and UTV, time to throw one in F seing it's a weekend car and who wants to wait hours for a hook when on leisure time. The fire extinguisher could present a conundrum.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:25 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Got a flashlight there somewhere?

Old 02-11-2022, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

My kit is much the same except no fire extinguisher, plus I have what I reckon is the most important tool of all, a wheel brace.
Well that's what it is called here in Oz, I believe you call it a lug nut wrench or similar in 'murica, one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/31382192707...3ABFBMsOaHu91f
Coz the OEM one is almost useless, it's a bear to use coz you can't get much leverage with it (while you can get plenty with the linked type) and it is prone to bend or break. There might be one hiding in the pic but I can't see it.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:19 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Emergency

What’s there are: 2”x6” base for the scissor Jack, breaker bar and lug socket, tire repair kit, needle nose pliers, JLR pump and goop, mechanics gloves, rubber gloves, flashlight, electrical tape, plastic ties, extra new lug nuts, fire extinguisher, 5 rags, 1 large rage, what’s not shown is a rubber cushioned mat that covers the entire boot floor. Good for protecting the boot floor and using for repairs. Flats only happen on holiday weekends, raining and at night. I would have to remove the tire to fix the flat. The only item missing is a flask with bourbon/cigar for a congratulatory sip after fixing the tire and at destination. I had a flat with the e type in New Hampshire but it had a spare tire and a Jack, go figure!

Old 02-11-2022, 10:32 PM
Received 244 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR 575
I like the tire plug kit, I carry one in my P/U and UTV, time to throw one in F seing it's a weekend car and who wants to wait hours for a hook when on leisure time. The fire extinguisher could present a conundrum.
Dont let the fire extinguisher be a conundrum. Simply place it either on the shelf in the trunk or better yet under the front seat like I did. Here are a few options. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-222121/

Old 02-11-2022, 11:25 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
My kit is much the same except no fire extinguisher, plus I have what I reckon is the most important tool of all, a wheel brace.
Well that's what it is called here in Oz
, I believe you call it a lug nut wrench or similar in 'murica, one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/31382192707...3ABFBMsOaHu91f
Coz the OEM one is almost useless, it's a bear to use coz you can't get much leverage with it (while you can get plenty with the linked type) and it is prone to bend or break. There might be one hiding in the pic but I can't see it.
Showing my age here, it was called a tire iron when I was a kid, today you can call it whatever and most young people will you look at you cross-eyed.

Originally Posted by GeorgeIII
Dont let the fire extinguisher be a conundrum. Simply place it either on the shelf in the trunk or better yet under the front seat like I did. Here are a few options. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-222121/
The conundrum is do you put the fire out and risk ending up having a car that might never be right again, or do you let it burn and collect the insurance?

The following users liked this post:
McPhaul (02-14-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 12:13 AM

Now that is a rather cynical conundrum to which I respond that your itty extinguisher is probably not going to put a major blaze out but just might be enough to get you and/or passenger out which is why my extinguisher is under my passenger seat. I believe most insurance companies will total a car with a major fire but I am fortunate enough to never have had to test that hypothesis.

Old 02-12-2022, 07:14 AM
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of stuff! Totally different approach here - all I have is the tow hook, a pair of protective gloves, some big plastic bags and knowledge about how to use the emergency park release. Plus a set of autosocks in the winter.

Then I'm totally over insured in terms of road side assistance as I happen to have three or four different road side assistance schemes. JLR's with the car plus some other through insurances and memberships. Fortunately only needed it once - when my old supercharged XF dumped the coolant during a spirited drive.

I used to drive around with all kind of emergency equipment and space savers too but never ever needed it so thought I'd try a different approach with the F-Type, touch wood! I drive my cars all over continental Europe and Scandinavia and I guess we're lucky to mostly have very good roads. If you get stranded on a French highway it's even illegal to do anything yourself and the only thing you're allowed to do is to get towed.

Old 02-12-2022, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Our kit consists of a cell phone (flashlight built in) and a AAA card. We used to have the bourbon but it keeps going missing..

Seriously, I suggest a smaller fire extinguisher. We have two of these in cars:

https://elementfire.com/products/element-e50

The following 2 users liked this post by Carbuff2:
datriani (02-13-2022), maxg (02-13-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 11:59 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Ah, you coupe owners with your huge trunks.

My golf clubs are usually in the trunk, so I have something to do while I wait for emergency services, assuming I have cell coverage. I threw my ham radio in the glove compartment for a 3-week road trip a couple of years ago, as I was really in the boonies for some of it.

Old 02-12-2022, 01:00 PM

I gave the convertible serious consideration but after measuring for my wine and glass flutes cooler there just wasn't any space remaining for the cheese board and lounge chairs. Life comes with serious choices....

The following 2 users liked this post by GeorgeIII:
DJS (02-12-2022), jcb-memphis (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 01:12 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Our kit consists of a cell phone (flashlight built in) and a AAA card. We used to have the bourbon but it keeps going missing..

Yes, those are a lot easier to put in an accessible place and you don't have to worry about recharging them.

datriani (02-13-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

My kit has a lot of the same things minus the fire extinguisher. I do carry a bottle of windex to find tire leaks and clean the windows and also a tarp. I also have a LiPO booster battery/flashlight in the glove box like this one:

Amazon Amazon

datriani (02-13-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 10:40 PM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I basically only have the wheel lock key, a lug nut key, and a bottle of quik detailer with a microfiber in the trunk. Oh and some cash in the glove box for emergency gas. Of course there's the tire inflation kit which I find useless. AAA gold tows up to 200 miles, so that should be good I figure.

datriani (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
a bottle of quik detailer with a microfiber
Is the detailer spray just so that you will make a good first impression with the tow truck operator?

(J/K of course)

The following 2 users liked this post by Carbuff2:
datriani (02-13-2022), Thunder Dump (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 08:05 AM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

EWD (Emergency Warning Device or Early Warning Device)

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 02-13-2022 at 08:10 AM.
datriani (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 09:00 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

I picked up a Jaguar emergency kit and threw the tape, medical, gloves and other stuff into an old radar detector case and it fits on one side of the Jaguar case. On the other side of the case I threw some toiletries. A change of underwear, t shirt and socks… incase I need to spend the night away from home. This came in handy more often pre-Covid.

I have an emergency warning triangle in the trunk and took out the fix a flat crap that came with the car as well as the tow hook (doesn’t work with my P7 grill). I have AAA as well as roadside assistance with Jaguar and my insurance. I live in the DC/northern VA area and the roads are horrible but the drivers are even worse…. not risking my life on the side of the road to patch a tire.

In the glove box I keep my VAP tuner, a pen and a compact umbrella that’s Velcro to the top of the glove box so it’s out of the way.

I have a fire extinguisher mounted under the driver seat. In the past I’ve used it to put out a road side fire while driving home at 2 am. With no one else on the road and the dry grass, it would have potentially been out of control before anyone would have reported it…. Hope I never have to use it on my car.

I also keep a couple of self defense items hidden but easily assessable. I would be happy to give my car instead of my life to someone who is determined to get the car. I unfortunately had a friend lose his life during a car jacking of his XKR. He wasn’t resistant but the individuals decided the car wasn’t enough and it went down a horrible path. At that point, it’s truly about self defense and I’d like to have options.

Last edited by datriani; 02-13-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:06 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

This looks great. Have you tried using one, does it live up to their stats on the website?

Old 02-13-2022, 10:19 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Not cheap, but neither is my car. May have to get one of those. I keep a small Kidde in the trunk of the XE. (The fire extinguisher brand, not a small child…)

Quick Reply: Emergency equipment