F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emira or f type

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 12:28 PM
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Emira or f type

Put a deposit for an undetermined delivery date on a Lotus Emira. As a long time Lotus fan (2 race cars, 3 street cars), the car captured my attention, and I finally got the chance to drive one. At any other time in my automotive life this would be an easy transition but the F type R in our garage still has a powerful draw.
I couldn’t flog the brand new Emira as it had so few miles, but still had the chance to make a few comparisons:

1) Yea, the steering on the Emira is pure Lotus- so sensitive and transmitting loads of information, the Jags by comparison is pretty numb.
2) is Lotus came a long way since the Elise I used to own, getting into the Emira if anything was easier than the F Type and while I have to drive the Jag with the seat fully back the Lotus had enough leg room that I actually had to move the seat forward a notch to reach the pedals.The lotus isn’t quite as wide inside as the F Type but close, and there’s room behind the seats for soft bags.
3) Both F type and Emira are stunning externally, but in different ways- can’t pick a winner.
4) A fair amount of engine noise inside the the Emira, but it’s not interesting noise. Here the R is a big winner- my wife in the first 30 seconds of our Emira test drive was already complaining about the lack of personality in the exhaust note compared to the Jag.The engine notably lacks the torque of the R’s V8 and you can really feel it in the lower RPM band.
5)Maybe I’m old school but I hated the speedo/ tach electronic display in the Lotus. Ditto the I-pad stuck in the dash like a Tesla. I liked the seats in the Lotus but the rest of the interior ( except for the visible shift linkage) I found uninspired. The Jag interior has always felt like a special place every time I drive it. F-Type wins again.
6) I enjoyed driving a stick again in the Lotus and the pedals are nicely set up for heal and toe. I’ve gotta say that after a lifetime of changing my own gears, the 8 speed ZF in the jag is a pretty wonderful device. I’m about even between them. No car that can reach180 is slow but the Jags V8 just effortlessly out pulls the Emira.
7) The trunk space behind the engine in the Emira can carry either a car cover or two small soft bags, but not both. Yes, there is some space behind the seats but not much. Our F-Type coupe can haul two full sets of dive gear, tanks and a car cover in the trunk.
8) The Emira is like an Olympic gymnast versus the F-Type R Powerlifter. Both can do really cool things but are different. Can the Emira match the Jags high speed touring comfort?Probably not. Can the Jag keep up with the Emira at the Tail of the Dragon? Probably not. All I can say is that the only car I would ever consider replacing my pristine Ultimate Black 2017 F Type R with is an Emira. I guess the Jag itself will make the decision either by continuing to be a reliable friend or a needy money pit.

The following 3 users liked this post by SJones:
BruceTheQuail (03-03-2024), Ichi Ban (04-04-2024), jcb-memphis (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 01:54 PM
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Doesn't seem like you and your wife are in love with the Emira.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:15 AM
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

You might be on to something…

The following users liked this post:
TangledThorns (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

The Emira is hung-up getting EPA certification, so they cannot yet be delivered to US owners.

#1 is the telling point regards the Driving Experience! The Lotus is 'analog', the F (according to one of my Elise friends) is "a Cadillac".

The trunk space behind the engine in the Emira can carry either a car cover or two small soft bags, but not both..
If you want a 'vert F-Type, this becomes a moot point. THAT is small, too. But, riding with the top down is GREAT!
Your comment brings to mind what Car & Driver said about the trunk space when the Lotus Europa was new: "It holds a pair of gloves and an small amount of loose sand"

Good luck with buying either! We have BOTH.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:45 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

I have the F type and it is super fun....if it was 700 lbs lighter it would be perfect.

The following 2 users liked this post by jcb-memphis:
Carbuff2 (03-05-2024), Ichi Ban (03-07-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 07:50 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

To me, you are comparing two very different cars and expecting similar experience or I just totally misread your original post. Having had an Evora (Emira is an upgraded Evora to me) and now have the F-type, they are very different, the F is a refined GT and the Lotus is a track car you can drive on the street. For reliability, the Lotus will win, it has a Toyota drivetrain that has been put on steroids. Though the Lotus will eat tires night and day.

Seems to me, that for the OP, you need to ask yourself if you want a track car you can drive on the streets (lotus) or a street car you can track (F-type).

The following 2 users liked this post by randyb:
Carbuff2 (03-05-2024), Ichi Ban (04-04-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 01:06 PM
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

TBH these two cars are more complement of each other then a replacement. But similar in a way you get semi-exotic car for relatively affordable price; both with great fun-to-cost ratio. I love them both.
I wish F-type would be a bit lighter and I wish Emira had a bit more exciting engine.

Ichi Ban (04-04-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 07:47 AM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

If you want the car today, f type....this forum has all the stuff you need to know to keep them going and avoid known issues like coolant pipes. VAP tuning is there too.

Emira if you want to wait and not have support ...if you are in the US.

Dealers are few for both but much fewer for lotus. That can matter....

Ichi Ban (04-04-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Emira if you want to wait
Emiras just got the long-delayed CARB certification on Feb. 29 2024, so dealers can give the cars to depositors. Will prob be more inclined to offer them for test drives, now, if you want to compare yourself.