Sponsored by:

End of the supercharged V6???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts
Default End of the supercharged V6???

See here: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/23/...v6-inline-six/

JLR has axed the AJ126 SC (same engine as used in the V6 F-Type) from the XE and XF line-ups, at least in the UK and Europe, so who knows how much longer it will be offered in the F-Type. It could well be axed before the engine deal with Ford to build the AJ126 and AJ133 (5.0 V8) engines expires in Dec 2020.
The mooted replacement, an Ingenium I6 of 3.0 litres (and probably turbocharged) has been talked about for three years now but there never seems to be any progress on it, who knows if or when it will ever appear in production.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Hmmmm, 8's being phased out, supercharged 6 being phased out, likely replacement some wheezy sounding turbo, iPace just as quick and supposedly handles well...all of this is making me think that my next Jag will be the iPace.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Hmmmm, 8's being phased out, supercharged 6 being phased out, likely replacement some wheezy sounding turbo, iPace just as quick and supposedly handles well...all of this is making me think that my next Jag will be the iPace.
It wouldn't surprise me if the F-Type is phased out entirely along with the sexy engine options. I am certain that Jag is disappointed with the weak demand in the 2-seater. They see their future in the Pace platform (E,F & I).

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-23-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It wouldn't surprise me if the F-Type is phased out entirely along with the sexy engine options. I am certain that Jag is disappointed with the weak demand in the 2-seater.
Sad, but true. The sales numbers are not good, and never have been. The F as lovely as it is, was not able to dethrone the 911 as the sports car to have. JLR tried, but didn't have what it takes. The F is too heavy, and too lacking in amenities, and not possessed of the overwhelming performance that it would have taken to displace the 911. I expect the F will drift along for a few more years before quietly coming to an end. Sergio Marchione used to say you could not succeed in the automobile business on sales of less than 6 million units a year. I expect JLR will turn into an English version of Honda/Accord making nice Pace type vehicles for the suburban set. The sports cars will wither away, and the luxury sedans will die a quiet death. Jaguar will be left as domestic versions of Land Rover. And so buy a classic F type and keep it as you would an E Type, and wish you had bought a Lusso when you could afford it,

Old 04-24-2018, 03:04 AM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if the F-Type is phased out entirely along with the sexy engine options. I am certain that Jag is disappointed with the weak demand in the 2-seater. They see their future in the Pace platform (E,F & I).
If they do that, for us owners it would be incredible, our values would sky rocket.

If they kill the SC engines, our values go up a little as we all know SC is preferred over turbo when it comes to a sports car for the more linear response and improve throttle response, plus of course noise.

If they discontinue the F-type completely, our values will absolutely rocket because like you say its a great car but sales volumes have not been spectacular.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Its odd you guys say the Ftype did not sell well because here in Los Angeles they seem to be on nearly every street corner. It's by far the Jaguar model I see the most.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Its odd you guys say the Ftype did not sell well because here in Los Angeles they seem to be on nearly every street corner. It's by far the Jaguar model I see the most.
Maybe in CA and FL. Haven’t seen another one here in a whole year Except for other forum members’. My dealer doesn’t even stock them anymore.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Sad but not altogether surprising.
Both V6 and V8 engines have been and are built at Ford UK Bridgend plant. Thus contract is due to end soon. Jaguar have their own engine plant now I believe that builds Ingenium line (dreadful name I think)
In UK and EU very few supercharged petrol engines in production.
Used to be VW, Mercedes Benz that had supercharged, now all replaced with Turbocharged engines.

I suspect Jaguar will likely move to turbocharged as with the four cylinder turbo in the F Type.

I hope there is a six and eight cylinder to replace the current V6 and V8

Old 04-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Maybe in CA and FL. Haven’t seen another one here in a whole year Except for other forum members’. My dealer doesn’t even stock them anymore.
Same here in NC. I've owned mine since November '17 and haven't met another on the road nor in any parking lots. My BIL bought an SVR around the same time I did and he also never sees any on the roads near him. He lives about an hour away from us.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Around here, I see Lambos, Ferraris, i8s, R8s, Masers, AMs, McLarens, but no F-Types. ??? People are constantly complimenting me on the car, but few want to buy one.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Here in Adelaide South Australia I have never, repeat never seen another F-Type on the road. I think I have seen three maybe four parked, and that's in five years.
They sell extremely slowly in my little backwater neck of the woods.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I live in a small college town in Wisconsin, around 100K in surrounding metro area I would speculate. I have seen 2 maybe 3 other F-Types, one an SVR. We do have a JLR dealer here in town, perhaps that helps.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

120,000 people, we have a JLR dealer and there are plenty of F types out and about and on the lot. ....even have a black V6S roadster 4 doors down the street from me.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-25-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
If they kill the SC engines, our values go up a little as we all know SC is preferred over turbo when it comes to a sports car for the more linear response and improve throttle response, plus of course noise.
My T5 Volvo (when T5 really meant T5) was a 2.5L 5 cyl. with turbo, and it was responsive and had linear power delivery. It was tuned for that, but to get that the turbocharger was smaller and top end suffered. Midrange was nice and fat though, with good torque as low as 1500rpm.

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
I see one every few weeks at most here in the SF East Bay.

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Last time I had mine in for service I got an F-Pace as a loaner. I dubbed it The Jaggernaut. Yesterday I got a 2018 LR Discovery (replacing my high brake light because it has condensation in it) and it makes the F-Pace feel quite sporty in comparison.

An iPace sounds interesting. Can't wait to see one in person.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I've seen maybe 10 different ones in my So Cal area, 3-4 that are owned by neighbors, the rest pass through on weekends. Still miniscule numbers when compared to how many porsches are around...

Old 04-25-2018, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Still miniscule numbers when compared to how many porsches are around...
And that is exactly why many are attracted to Jaguar: their exclusivity. Jaguars are unlikely to ever be as common as BMWs (which are as plentiful and as exclusive as cockroaches).
And Jaguar as an exclusive marque has whethered many storms and disproven the bleetings of the uninformed many times - those who, for example, derided the X-Type as a Mondeo in fancy dress (absolutely untrue) and as a failure...not sure how sales of about 400,000 for one model of a small car company could be deemed a failure...there are some who are now using a similar line regarding the F-Type.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:28 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

We have multiple Jaguar dealerships in the Atlanta area and except for mine and a friend's (although I haven't seen hers since shortly after she got it), I've only seen one other in the wild. I'm sure there are others around town, but I've seen more Ferrari, Lambo, etc. Heck, there are three Maserati in the parking deck here at work that I see regularly, tons of Porsches, BMW, Mercedes, etc. It's funny, around here we have a tendency to categorize drivers by what they drive - all BMW drivers are asshats, Merdeces drivers are all entitled and pretend they are the only ones who matter, Mustang drivers think they are the fastest on the road and like to weave in and out of traffic, etc. Most of the Jags I've seen out and about might be driven a bit faster than the speed limit would allow, but mostly polite and you can tell they care about their cars than many others.

All of my car loving neighbors on my street have come over to see mine (one has an M6, one has old muscle cars - love his Chevelle, another has a Porsche, but they've all been all over mine). One of my coworkers now wants to trade in his Audi for one and constantly parks next to me at work so he can drool, I mean admire, my car (he moved back here recently from LA and said he fell in love with them there because he saw/heard them all the time there). I've also noticed a marked difference in how people react to you when you're driving this car. In my Solstice, I constantly had creepy people saying "Hey baby, can I get a ride in your car?" Seriously, can't make that up - although the look on one guy's face when I looked at him and asked if that had ever worked for him was priceless. In this car I get thumbs up, grins, yells of "Nice car!" etc. Since there aren't many around, I have to remember that people notice and recognize it. I've gotten texts from friends saying "I just saw you at x intersection!"

Sorry, that was a rambling way of saying I haven't seen many of these around town. I'm mostly being long-winded to avoid a project at work I really don't want to have to do.