F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Corrosion Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 12:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this seems to be a massive issue, why haven't Jaguar issued a recall for the Y-pipe which seems to crack and cause corrision.??

Old 09-16-2021, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Csanch
I have a 2015 FType s. I had posted previously with my issues. My spark plugs were all corroded and in fact 2 broke off into the cylinder when trying to remove. 7000 dollar repair. Mechanic mentioned they have seen this before.
the reason this happens is because the hood vents in this model allows water to enter freely into engine compartment.
this is a design flaw which needs a recall and Jaguar to fix
I would get a different mechanic as this one doesn't know what he is talking about.
There has never been a single reported instance of water getting in through the bonnet vents badly enough to cause this type of problem and it is obvious that the problem was caused by a slow coolant leak and odds on to be the front cross-over coolant pipe under the SC either split or cracked at one of the connections, or maybe the rear pipe.
Yes the bonnet vents sometimes let some water in but only a few drops max and nowhere near enough to cause any problems.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

Regarding Heat Retention . I really cant see how by blocking the bonnet vents it would affect the engine that much . after all that is what the fan is for and the side wing vents also allow air in and out , for example the xk 5 litre non supercharged car has no bonnet vents

Old 09-16-2021, 05:58 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
... for example the xk 5 litre non supercharged car has no bonnet vents
And when the XKR first came out Jaguar wouldn't do it in white as they feared the heat would discolour the bonnet/hood.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:29 AM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I would get a different mechanic as this one doesn't know what he is talking about.
There has never been a single reported instance of water getting in through the bonnet vents badly enough to cause this type of problem and it is obvious that the problem was caused by a slow coolant leak and odds on to be the front cross-over coolant pipe under the SC either split or cracked at one of the connections, or maybe the rear pipe.
Yes the bonnet vents sometimes let some water in but only a few drops max and nowhere near enough to cause any problems.
The corrosion problem has been seen on cars that have not had a coolant leak

Old 09-16-2021, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Obi
The corrosion problem has been seen on cars that have not had a coolant leak
So why have we never seen it reported here on this forum?
Surely if it was at all common there would have been some reports by now.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:39 AM
Obi

Regarding Heat Retention . I really cant see how by blocking the bonnet vents it would affect the engine that much . after all that is what the fan is for and the side wing vents also allow air in and out , for example the xk 5 litre non supercharged car has no bonnet vents
Think about it this way, taking off an engine cover results in a measurable difference… and thats just a cover. We are talking about vents. Remember heat rises

Last edited by Obi; 09-16-2021 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:06 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

+1 - I was thinking about this for a while and I cannot imagine a scenario where rain would eventually lead to that much corrosion - that motor looks worse than some sitting unprotected in a scrap yard for years. I was stunned at the photos and more surprised when I saw the mileage. Even the parts of my cars that have been exposed to water like the undercarriage show nothing close to that. Coolant eating away at it does seem reasonable although it would have to have been leaking/sitting in those metal areas for a while.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:15 AM
Obi

So why have we never seen it reported here on this forum?
Surely if it was at all common there would have been some reports by now.
This is a short sighted question. I don’t think it is wise to assume “since nobody made a specific post detailing x problem.. x problem isn’t common” especially when said problem is not easy to visualize. Aside from the fact that as a community, we are relatively hands off.

Nonetheless, I’ll entertain this:
The obvious answer to your question is because people did not report it.
There is a post where a forum member removed the supercharger and it is very apparent in a photo. I have removed my supercharger and noted this. This op of this thread has it, and the video in this thread has it as well. That’s 4 data points.

There is one post where a forum member removed the supercharger (for a coolant leak) and did not have that problem.

But let me pose a question to you: How many people here have removed there own supercharger… Have you?

Do you think if someone went to jaguar to have the y pipe replaced jaguar would go out of there way to report it to them?

Last edited by Obi; 09-16-2021 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:29 AM
Obi

Originally Posted by gg2684
+1 - I was thinking about this for a while and I cannot imagine a scenario where rain would eventually lead to that much corrosion - that motor looks worse than some sitting unprotected in a scrap yard for years. I was stunned at the photos and more surprised when I saw the mileage. Even the parts of my cars that have been exposed to water like the undercarriage show nothing close to that. Coolant eating away at it does seem reasonable although it would have to have been leaking/sitting in those metal areas for a while.
The difference would be the matting that retains fluid, and conditions.
Scrap yard cars, and your undercarriage are exposed to fresh air (allows the moisture to evaporate) and atmospheric temperature.

In this situation, the bolts have fluid being trapped/retained by the matting, and is under much greater temperature

Old 09-16-2021, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

From the video, it looks like this problem might have been fixed in newer (??) cars by modifications to the Y-pipe.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
From the video, it looks like this problem might have been fixed in newer (??) cars by modifications to the Y-pipe.
Yep, they show the updated version of the Y-pipe.
One piece rather than the older two piece with a seam which is prone to split.
I think the one piece pipe came in with MY2016.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think this is a coolant leak, unless the wrong coolant is used. The orange coloured coolant stains everything it touches. Both my old S types had a few failed heater valves and they were always orange stained when removed.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The "side wing vents" are not vents - they are are purely ornamental. Blocking the bonnet vents would indeed trap heat - try putting byour hand above the vent after shutting the engine down - it is surprising how much heat escapes.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:04 PM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

I have the same engine in my 2011 Land Rover LR4 with no known problems. Questions i have, has the coolant ever been changed, lifetime fluid does not get it. Themostat, water pump or even heater core. In 5 years, no spark plug changes. Even with low miles, plugs from factory don't have anti-seize on threads and plug companies might say good for 100K miles but only guaranteed for two, bosch for three. So a toss up as no known PO maintenance. I daily drive because I like them and it keeps them fit.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:24 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by markevans
Hi Guys

I need help, I put my 2016 Ftype in for a 52,000km (26Mile) service and while in the dealers workshop the car suffered engine failure.

This is what I found when they took off the supercharger, but they are refusing to admit this is an issue with the car.

Has anyone ever seen this or had this problem with the F-type, if so wht did the dealer do for you.

thanks

Bolts are completly rusted into dust after

entire side of the engine is ruste
I have to ask, how close do you live to the ocean?

Old 09-16-2021, 01:28 PM
Obi

Yep, they show the updated version of the Y-pipe.
One piece rather than the older two piece with a seam which is prone to split.
I think the one piece pipe came in with MY2016.
MY2017
Pipe may also split other places, so even 2017+ can have the problem

Old 09-16-2021, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yep mine looked exactly the same but was caused by coolant leak

Originally Posted by markevans
Hi Guys

I need help, I put my 2016 Ftype in for a 52,000km (26Mile) service and while in the dealers workshop the car suffered engine failure.

This is what I found when they took off the supercharger, but they are refusing to admit this is an issue with the car.

Has anyone ever seen this or had this problem with the F-type, if so wht did the dealer do for you.

thanks

Bolts are completly rusted into dust after

entire side of the engine is ruste
Hi
I have a 2010 xf 5.0 with just on 69,000 miles and my wife had a 2013 xf V6 awd with 50,000 miles and both developed crossover coolant pipe leaks which I had replacced but it was also found that the V6 had a coolant pipe running between the V under supercharger also cracked and leaked ....... then my 2014 F-Type base model started a similar coolant leak at 52,000 mile and when we removed the supercharger it looked identical to yours including the c*^#p around the bolt heads . Definitely a problem with their plastic coolant pipes

Old 09-16-2021, 04:38 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

The coolant leaks that cannot be seen, wouldn't the coolant level be decreasing? If you see it below maximum and you fill to max and the level decreases then a further evaluation must be done to prevent this mess. If this is a result of coolant leak how long has it been leaking?
Frank MY16 S coupe

Old 09-16-2021, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with others WOW!

From here it looks like an engine replacement. Especially if you're talking first 26,000-mile inspection.

My recommendation is if you bought new, and first 26,00 miles. would be Dealer replaces engine, contact Jag dealer area rep,
and or factory. You might want to see an attorney. If you bought used, as is, start saving for a rebuilt engine.

If Dealer clearly mis-represented mileage andor condition, and won't fix the problem, go see your attorney

One thing I would not consider doing is rebuilding that engine.

Quick Reply: Engine Corrosion Problem