F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Dead at 26k Miles! This happen to anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Q&C — that’s a load of bull.

Per your instructions, a ZF 8-speed from the Grand Cherokee SRT, which I chose for comparable power and load, is Mopar Part No. RL148951AC, list price $5175, available for $4171. Basically the same unit.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 01:34 PM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hades281
Dude.... That’s the point I was making. JLR prices and part availability pushes their clients away to FleaBay to buy a salvage who-knows unit. You then get the pleasure of paying for installation to see IF it even works by an Indy technician who probably seldom, if ever, sees an F-type.
The typical F-type owner doesn't possess the requisite knowledge or time to pursue a salvaged engine or transmission and then find a qualified mechanic to do the work.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

Q&C... The transmission is Part No. C2D45620 with an official JLR list price of $19250.00 according to several Jag parts websites. I’m seeing discounts that bring it to $17k or so.
What price can you get it for?

C2D45620 is £7k new in the UK at JLR list price, without applying any discount. Realistically you could get it for around £5.5k with the "Jag tax" (about $7k USD at the moment). If there is compatibility with Land Rover parts then often those will be cheaper.
The only reason to buy from Jag would be if you wanted their spare parts warranty (which IIRC is only 12 months anyway), otherwise you would buy from the source.

Queen and Country (06-29-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 12:06 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RIRR
The typical F-type owner doesn't possess the requisite knowledge or time to pursue a salvaged engine or transmission and then find a qualified mechanic to do the work.
I also saw replacement transmissions in the $16k range before labor. Even at a shop rate of $200/hr, I doubt it takes 75 hours to get one in.
I can guarantee you I'd be getting real familiar with this process if I lose a major part outside warranty! If these prices were quoted to an insurance agent, they'd total the car.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:20 AM

I wonder what Jag Corporate would do for people who are looking to buy a major OEM part - short block, transmission, rear-end - outside of warranty for cash. Customers are not having a "high-end luxury experience" if they are having to dig around in salvage yards for used parts, because it's the only way to avoid being absolutely abused by the manufacturer. There is a lot of competition out there; why would a customer who got really ripped off in a desperate moment buy from the same company again?

Maybe the intent is for you to bring a broken Jag in, scare the daylights out of the customer with a $20,000 transmission replacement bill, and then propose that the only way out is a favorable trade-in on a new one. They'll depreciate your broken Jag by the real cost of the repair, say $5k on a transmission, and you'll think thats great because a $5k loss is better than the $20k that is quoted or the prospect of dealing with used parts. Maybe it's good for business in the short-term, but if you want customers to love the brand it's not the way to go.

It's constructive criticism here, because I wish it were different.

Last edited by hades281; 06-30-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:27 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It would be my guess the cost to replace your engine would no exceed 15 to 18K and that may be very high.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
C2D45620 is £7k new in the UK at JLR list price, without applying any discount. Realistically you could get it for around £5.5k with the "Jag tax" (about $7k USD at the moment). If there is compatibility with Land Rover parts then often those will be cheaper.
The only reason to buy from Jag would be if you wanted their spare parts warranty (which IIRC is only 12 months anyway), otherwise you would buy from the source.
Xdave, what (or who) do you mean by "buying from the source" if not from Jag? Are you saying the transmission can be ordered directly from ZF?

It seems like UK parts prices are better than in the US. 5500 GBP = 7264 USD. That's still a hell of a lot for this transmission but a huge improvement over the US price.

JozJag (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 10:50 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

My warranty expired in February this year. Car only has 25k miles and would love to keep it for another 4 or 5 years but I don’t have huge confidence in the engine or the eDiff (V8) after reading of blow ups on this forum.

JozJag (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 11:32 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

I don't understand how the prices can be so high. Is Jag's strategy to sell the car, and then hope it's taken off the road as soon as possible?
While I can't comment on the prices quoted on this thread I don't believe this situation is unique to Jaguar. Many car and motorcycle parts are priced in a way that buying every available part would usually total far more than cost of a new vehicle.

In a similar manner breaking a several year old car into parts to sell separately will often realise more than the value of car

JozJag (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
My warranty expired in February this year. Car only has 25k miles and would love to keep it for another 4 or 5 years but I don’t have huge confidence in the engine or the eDiff (V8) after reading of blow ups on this forum.
A very small number of engines or eDiff have been reported as "blown up", I would suspect it's a very small percentage of engines, which are also fitted to other Jaguar models and Land Rover (Range Rover) in some cases with same power output. My assessment would be the probability of this occurring is extremely low.

The AJ133 V8 engine has been in production since 2009, I think any reliability or durability problems would have been well documented if they were widespread.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
I would be interested to know how many of the problems are due to abuse of the car. I guess those of us who purchased used just have to hope for the best. My warranty expired a few days ago, but I purchased it as a CPO, which gives me a couple more years. I have never been a fan of third-party, extended warranties, but that might be something I consider in the future.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

This thread is creeping me out. As someone said earlier, usually once an engine goes 10K miles trouble free it typically means you have a good one that can go 200K. Guess now, not so much. Mine has 24K miles, warranty almost gone,...

Old 07-01-2018, 06:37 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder what Jag Corporate would do for people who are looking to buy a major OEM part - short block, transmission, rear-end - outside of warranty for cash. Customers are not having a "high-end luxury experience" if they are having to dig around in salvage yards for used parts, because it's the only way to avoid being absolutely abused by the manufacturer. There is a lot of competition out there; why would a customer who got really ripped off in a desperate moment buy from the same company again?

Maybe the intent is for you to bring a broken Jag in, scare the daylights out of the customer with a $20,000 transmission replacement bill, and then propose that the only way out is a favorable trade-in on a new one. They'll depreciate your broken Jag by the real cost of the repair, say $5k on a transmission, and you'll think thats great because a $5k loss is better than the $20k that is quoted or the prospect of dealing with used parts. Maybe it's good for business in the short-term, but if you want customers to love the brand it's not the way to go.

It's constructive criticism here, because I wish it were different.
Not a bad theory - I was literally trying to get the dealer to take it on trade for an SVR they had on the lot.
At this point, I've got a fresh transmission on warranty in a low miles R coupe and the dealer I bought it from had it priced to sell (clearly wanted to unload it before the warranty expired). I feel pretty good about the deal actually. I do believe that with high powered cars like these, we *can* break them. I try not to bang the thing around too much - I drive it hard, but smooth.
Now, to remember to check that oil level at least once a week

Old 07-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
This thread is creeping me out. As someone said earlier, usually once an engine goes 10K miles trouble free it typically means you have a good one that can go 200K. Guess now, not so much. Mine has 24K miles, warranty almost gone,...
Hey,
I have your engine, for nearly a decade and 50k miles. Others have over 150k miles. Its bulletproof.
To quote Churchill, there was man who died young of many worries, none of which materialized.

(you got one detail slightly wrong, if an engine can go to 40k miles- it will go to 200k....if you had only put more miles on while under warranty.)

JozJag (07-02-2018)