F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine is overheating at the track

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 01:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone tried this stuff?:

Well, I tried to post a link and it wouldn't let me. Keeps converting the link into the company name. What did I do wrong?

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 07-12-2015 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, that is exactly why my mind is boggled that a $30K car would have them included, and a $100K car would not. I'd half-way understand, if they offered them as an option in some sort of "technology package," but they aren't even options.

I am also one of those that struggle to understand this.

I know that Audi/VW once stated that they did not want to display to much of this information (oil-temp, turbo pressure etc), as it "confuses" (some) people and make them visit the workshop for no reason.

Can't say I ever found that explanation very plausible, but maybe some people get confused by figures that varies more than the coolant temperatur usually does?

Old 07-12-2015, 07:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 🍻

Thanks F-typical I was using the AC at first but I turned it off once the problem began to occur as well as short-shifting. Mshedden, I don't know if I can stand the heater on, lol.

The car was overheating in the afternoon sessions (the dashboard displayed an alert for this lizzaro), especially after several laps and only in the long straight at COTA, speeds 140-150 mph. No problem in the rest of the track.

Shift, I will definitely remove the front plate.

I must say that another person had this problem with his new zo7 on that same day.

One of my buddies suggested placing dry ice in the Airbox but I don't have the courage to do that.
Thanks everyone!

Old 07-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaiju
The car was overheating in the afternoon sessions (the dashboard displayed an alert for this lizzaro), especially after several laps and only in the long straight at COTA, speeds 140-150 mph. No problem in the rest of the track.
Does the dashboard flash "DANGER TO MANIFOLD"? You don't need to answer that. It's early and I'm undercaffeinated.

A fan definitely won't help there. I'm curious. Which model have you got?

I don't know, but I'm sure someone here does: does the intercooler run a completely separate cooling system? Even if it's not the root cause of overheating improved charge air cooling will help maintain power under sustained load or in hot weather. I've only dealt with air-air intercoolers, not air-liquid.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

I notice that the front side air dams are actually false and blocked off on the front of the F-Types for some bizarre reason...
I owner if there would deb any mileage in removing the shrouds behind the hex trim to obtain a better airflow?

Old 07-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I have heard there are removable baffles in the hood vents. Supposedly these should come out if cooling is a concern.

I would be worried about the differential on mine, I have the e-diff and I guess they get hot fast on the track.

Please keep us posted on what mods you do to improve cooling.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

It's a hypoid gear set.

Even an open diff will get hot under stress
due to the wiping motion at the gear faces.

Interesting tidbit ...

Currie Axles found that synthetic lubricant only
appears to run cooler. It is less efficient at heat
transfer, so the heat stays in the gears. Mineral
oil transfers the heat away from the gears and
bearings, just like you want. They figured this
out by building a specially instrument rear
axle assembly.

Makes sense. X amount of heat is generated,
the lubricant has Y amount of heat. Where did
the rest go? It didn't. It's still in the parts.

The aftermarket vendors know something. For
example, Auburn differentials are only certified
and warranted when run on mineral lubricant.
No synthetic allowed.

Of course, a F-Type is probably warranty constrained.

As a reference point, a Corvette run hard at the
track without a diff cooler will boil and foam the
lubricant out the vent in under a half hour of lapping.

Last edited by plums; 07-12-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:02 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Nookieman
I have heard there are removable baffles in the hood vents. Supposedly these should come out if cooling is a concern.

I would be worried about the differential on mine, I have the e-diff and I guess they get hot fast on the track.

Please keep us posted on what mods you do to improve cooling.
On our 2WD 2015 R, the side vents have a backing piece as well as the 4 front (excluding the centre) side valance vents - blanking the air-flow.
The bonnet (hood) vents look like they are mainly for show as the amount of airflow will be minimum due to the small apertures in them.

I can only assume that the designers guess the cooling IS adequate, hence why they are blanked off. It would be interesting to see if anyone will/has removed the plastic backing to see if it helps dissipate a bit better....

Old 07-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Does the dashboard flash "DANGER TO MANIFOLD"? You don't need to answer that. It's early and I'm undercaffeinated.

A fan definitely won't help there. I'm curious. Which model have you got?

I don't know, but I'm sure someone here does: does the intercooler run a completely separate cooling system? Even if it's not the root cause of overheating improved charge air cooling will help maintain power under sustained load or in hot weather. I've only dealt with air-air intercoolers, not air-liquid.
I have a 2015 R; as far as the cooling system I'm not smart enough to answer the question Lizzardo. I go back in 2 months and will update on how the day goes without using the AC and taking off the front plate.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaiju
I have a 2015 R; as far as the cooling system I'm not smart enough to answer the question Lizzardo. I go back in 2 months and will update on how the day goes without using the AC and taking off the front plate.
My Jaguar mechanic told me to take the plastic cover off the supercharger and ditch it and he said the XKR-s (I believe this was the model) also came without the bottom cover, from the factory, under the engine, for more airflow and he has in the past opened up the hood vents for some customers on XKR and Ftypes.. anyway, I took the cover off the supercharger but left the cover as is that goes under the car.

I would have been concerned with the under car cover being off causing the high speed dynamics to be affected.. he said the XKR-s (I believe this was the high performance model he referred to) had it removed under the engine for air/ heat issues and it was fine.

I had planned to cut some holes in the under car cover instead for more air flow, but never got around to it.

Lawrence.