F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Replaced at 32k, No Oil in New Engine at 5k

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021 | 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
If I remember correctly there was never a recall.
Correct, just a TSB to dealers for info.

The change happened for all XK8's and XJ8's manufactured from early in the 2000 MY.

Old 01-28-2021 | 09:25 AM

I stand corrected by the esteemed members of the board based upon their knowledge. I used the term "recall" when perhaps is should have been TSB. Not my intention to mislead..........I just remembered the issue from 20 years ago and though it was appropriate to discuss it here.

Old 01-28-2021 | 10:10 AM

Hmmm....no reaction from Sabastien to the responses above. I hope we have not been "played" with this (frankly bizarrely) worrisome story.
Very odd indeed. Maybe another 'brand' dealer trying to gin up business?

I'm beginning to suspect "trolls' have entered the Forums neighborhood.

Old 01-28-2021 | 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

This is another troll thread similar to:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...e-fire-241604/

Old 01-28-2021 | 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Similar story: My sister bought a new Chevy Nova in 1970 and 7 years later when she went to trade it in was asked how often she changed the oil: “What oil?” MY sister, no less.
My wife, same comment regarding her Saab 9000 Turbo after owning it for 8 years. We traded it in pretty quick.

Old 01-28-2021 | 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by frank barone
I’m so worried about engine failure that I check the engine oil every time I drive her. I know the level after my drive and when cold. It’s my way of keeping track of oil consumption if any, so far it doesn’t lose any oil. Simple to check. I was worried about accuracy of gauge and I had dealer check it out, all ok.
Frank
How do you manage that? Let the car sit in a level spot for 30 minutes and then check it every time? If it needed to be checked frequently, they should have included a damn dipstick.

The following users liked this post:
SVR 575 (12-17-2021)
Old 01-28-2021 | 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sabastien
In December of 2019, roughly a year ago, my 2016 F Type R's motor began knocking at 32k miles. With no oil ever under the car and never any smoke, it had almost no oil in the engine. I bought it at 22k. Jaguar replaced the motor under warranty and almost exactly a year later, the new engine knocked and was nearly empty, again. Although Jaguar replaced the first, without being sure what happened, they wouldn't replace this one. Although the dealership records state "found oil lever very low", they are now trying to say that oil loss is a normal part of beak in. Again, almost all the oil was gone. Days after the car was checked, the one year warranty expired and from my understanding, an engine replacement will cost more than 40k. I would just sell it, but now this is on the car's history and I wouldn't want to push this lemon off on someone else.

Anyone have advice, know of similar issues etc.?
Sabastien, I have some first hand experience with exactly the same issue, different car 2010 XKR but exactly the same engine. I bought the car with what was thought to be a seized engine because the owner didn't ever check the oil level and having looked through the service history that came with the car, the service center he used reminded him his oil was always dangerously low when he brought it in for service. The car apparently never leaked any oil and was perfectly dry underneath, no oil anywhere.
Turns out the engine wasn't seized even though the garage told him it was, a fuse had blown in the started circuit and it didn't turn over. When I did start it there was enormous damage done to the engine, there was a spun rod bearing and the noise it made was horrendous. So needed an engine swap, I was quoted similiar from Jaguar to replace the engine. My plan was to do a short block replacement myself, even bought the engine, but my rebuild plans of repairing it with my 3 young boys fell to the wayside and I decided to sell the car on as a project to somebody else.
I still have a brand new Jaguar engine sat in the crate in my garage if interested, email if interested. Seems like these engines can be prone the using oil without it leaking everywhere, I have another XKR which I check the oil prior to each drive, but I'm also thinking of making a manual dip stick to make sure the electronic one is accurate.

Steve

Old 01-28-2021 | 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PatentlawTX
Regarding the dipstick.....those who are older will remember the recall for the 2000 XKR with the wrong dipsticks. To that end, you don't have that on the new cars........Problem averted.

Also, if there were a dipstick, you might have to take the engine cover off to get at it. There have been plenty of issues with pinching lines from improperly placed engine covers. The current design eliminates all of this and avoids the problems other current models have.
Would not a hole in the cover take care of that? There's already one there for the oil filler.

Old 01-28-2021 | 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

When I bought my 5.0L XKR in 2013 from a private party, I drove the car and was highly unimpressed with the engine performance, and I specifically looked for any dash warning lights. i decided not to buy the car as a result of the test drive. The previous owner kept calling me asking if I would purchase it, and finally I told him to bring the car into my mechanic, so he could check it out. I still had no intention of buying. Within 30 seconds of pulling in and my mechanic listening to the engine, he said it needed a new engine. The previous owner had an aftermarket warranty, and after calling them they agreed to replace the engine. We decided that it was probably wiser to have a Jaguar dealer do it, so that there was some warranty, and the previous owner took the car to the dealer that was closest to him and the first thing they did was check the oil level and found none in the engine. The previous owner told me he hadn't checked it nor changed it in the year and a half he owned the car. Needless to say, he didn't want the Jaguar dealer reporting to the warranty company that there was no oil, so it went back to my mechanic who told them what the damage was, we located an engine that had only about 5000 miles on it, and they paid my mechanic to purchase and replace the engine. After that was done, I agree to purchase the car, and I check the oil before I start the car about every other morning as waiting for 20-30 minutes after the car has run in never convenient. 120,000 miles later, it is still a superb car and engine. And by the way, we kept the old engine and have scavenged it for parts over the past seven years, sensors and the like. The 5.0L engines have to have religious oil changes and have to have the level checked with regularity, but what a great powerplant.

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
Carbuff2 (01-29-2021), NBCat (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021 | 06:31 PM

Oil! That is why I change my own oil, with my mityVac so I know how much came out of the motor!

ferrral (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021 | 06:48 PM

This is how some customers add oil to their engines:

Madscott (01-31-2021)
Old 01-29-2021 | 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

It's not cheaper to have the complicated electronic oil level sensor. The sensor itself is around $77 (AJ812432). Compared to a steel tube with a steel dipstick. Maybe some car somewhere has it hidden under the engine cover but I have never seen it and Jaguar did not do that on previous engines either? That does not even take into account the modified oil pan cost plus all the wiring and plugs and other stuff required before you get to the software end.

What we have been told is it's a combination of two things;

1. Very few people ever checked their oil even when there was a dipstick.
2. The dipstick is or was another entry point for dirt and crap to get into the engine. With engines being more and more sealed units they first started putting O-rings on the tube and dipstick. I even saw GM using a latching type connection on their transmission dipsticks so the dipstick could not come out without you unlatching the top connection.

But I think it's also one of those things that the Engineers can't see the forest for the tree's thing?
Even though I have always got a kick out of the story of how the Russians used pencils in space and we used a complicated and costly pressurized ink pen that story just turns out to be another urban legend.
Still a very fascinating story if your interested??
Space Pen

Old 01-29-2021 | 04:11 PM

Had my R for over 6 years and apart from oil changes every 6 months ive never had to top the oil up.

wombat (12-15-2021)
Old 01-30-2021 | 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

And Sabastien is missing in action so the whole unlikely story was probably a BMW construct.

rsa760041 (02-03-2021)
Old 01-30-2021 | 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
And Sabastien is missing in action so the whole unlikely story was probably a BMW construct.
I'm not sure thats a fair characterization, to be honest. If warranty negotiations are currently in progress, commenting on the situation publicly is perhaps the worst course of action.

Old 01-30-2021 | 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

You may well be right, and I accept the implicit suggestion to be more generous. It is just that so often on this and other forums we are asked questions, we give answers, and there is no acknowledgement at all, and no final report. Both the questions and the answers are valuable learning tools for all of us, but perhaps even more valuable is that final report that tells us what worked or did not work to solve tge problem.
In this particular case a simple "thanks for the replies but..." would be welcome...I suppose that I am making a plea for courtesy in this most uncivil period - and I should have been more generous and less critical.

Last edited by sov211; 01-30-2021 at 06:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
ferrral (02-03-2021), RickyJay52 (02-03-2021)
Old 01-30-2021 | 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
You may well be right, and I accept the implicit suggestion to be more generous. It is just that so often on this and other forums we are asked questions, we give answers, and there is no acknowledgement at all, and no final report. Both the questions and the answers are valuable learning tools for all of us, but perhaps even more valuable is that final report that tells us what worked or did not work to solve tge problem.
In this particular case a simple "thanks for the replies but..." would be welcome...I suppose that I am making a plea for courtesy in this most uncivil period - and I should have been more generous and less critical.
You are absolutely correct, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a resolution.

Just saying it's likely the situation is still in litigation, and perhaps it's too early to assume a synopsis is not forthcoming. We'll see.

Old 01-30-2021 | 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hell Cat
You are absolutely correct, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a resolution.

Just saying it's likely the situation is still in litigation, and perhaps it's too early to assume a synopsis is not forthcoming. We'll see.
Hope to hear from Seb soon.
To be, or not to be (a troll)...THAT IS THE QUESTION!

The following 2 users liked this post by Sparky H:
Madscott (01-31-2021), rsa760041 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2021 | 12:33 PM
Default Not a major issue

Originally Posted by Timbo
Had my R for over 6 years and apart from oil changes every 6 months ive never had to top the oil up.
Such an interest thread of comments. I have six Jaguars sitting in my driveway. An XJ6, an XJ8. Three X-types 3.0 and one S-type 4.0 . Of all the problems I've had to address. Oil lever has not
been one of them. Check it once ever couple weeks and top of if a little low. Something I recently learned that surprised me. Synthetic oil does not smell or burn the same as petroleum oil. I
rebuilt the engine in my 07 Chevy Silverado and after the rebuild. I notice a cloud of white smoke coming from the tail pipe on start up. The smoke would go away as the engine warmed up. I
concluded that the head gasket did not seal and I was burning coolant. The issue came and went, but I wasn't seeing a loss in my coolant level. I did notice a loss of oil in engine. I am using
Castrol GTX synthetic and as it turns out. The white smoke is synthetic oil burning, not coolant. Well the problem cured itself when the rings finally seated. Learn something new everyday. I always
associated black smoke with oil and white smoke with coolant. I guess it's not that simple any longer. I can't think of any good excuse for not being aware that you engine is low on oil. You don't
need to check it every day. Not even once a week. If you engine is devouring or leaking oil that fast. The evidence would be everywhere. If your engine is burning your oil. The performance would
suffer and the engine would behave very badly. Poor acceleration. The engine would stutter and misfire.
If the oil was leaking out. It would be on the frame or on the driveway. One only has to look. More than that. To invest in owning a Jaguar. Why would you not check the oil level periodically and
change the oil religiously. But then again. Some people treat their cars as a garbage dump, regardless of the cars price tag.

Last edited by Rearaxle; 02-03-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2021 | 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

At this point, with the OP, Sabastien, nowhere in sight, I have to conclude that the entire story of two engines bereft of oil without explanation is a fabrication designed a) to get us excited and worried, and b) to further perpetuate the myth that "Jaguars stop in the middle of nowhere for no reason" (a verbatim quote of what a BMW owner told me).

NBCat (02-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Engine Replaced at 32k, No Oil in New Engine at 5k