F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine is replaced/blown - F-Type R - Oil STARVATION!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine is replaced/blown - F-Type R - Oil STARVATION!

Hey guys, so I recently was posting on the bimmerpost forums asking what car to get next since I'm in the process of Lemon'ing my 16' F-Type R.

Then one of the F-Type owners on there said to post on here about my situation to give you guys an update! (Shoutout to Kief)

My issues that happened in order (each was a different visit):

Visit #1: CEL - Supposedly was open gas door (2 days getting fixed)

Visit #2: CEL - C02 Sensor (5 days getting fixed)

Visit #3: CEL - C02 Sensor and new complete exhaust system (had a leak I guess) (10 days getting fixed)

Visit #4: Sound System update for static (2 days getting fixed)

Visit #5: (9/5/2017) Ticking noise from the motor (no video I'm sorry, it only happened under load so hard to record) Sounded like piston slap/rod knock.
They replaced the supercharger thinking it was S/C belts, sound continued and they thought maybe the S/C itself had loose parts in it (turbine maybe)
Of course after a 3 week wait for parts and install.. sound is exactly the same. (21 days getting fixed)

Visit #6: (It's important to note that the date is 9/26/2017) Ticking noise, except this time they think it's the whole motor needing replacement. Few days later, they said the motor had only 1-2 liters of oil in it. THE WHOLE MOTOR. They instantly ask me if I've had an oil change. I didn't because it was done at 6k miles. It was 16k now. They basically said unless you have a way to prove an oil change, the motor is YOURS TO PAY FOR. This was a scary time because the car was stock and the dealership who did the work is not in business anymore and i couldn't find the records! But alas, it was just a scare and they ended up approving the the new motor.

Visit #6 (cont'd): 10/8/2017.. a whole 2 week laters just to approve motor replacement. 10/17. New motor is in, but wait.. of course they found it needs new wheel bearings.. and new brakes? Higher up's must have known I had a lemon lawyer who submitted papers in 2 weeks before.
Update to a few days ago, they have just literally been keeping the car, the new motor was almost put in 3 weeks ago. They now claim after putting in new wheel bearings and brakes (nothing was wrong with them in the first place) that the crossbolt for something is needing replacement... like what???

Total amount of days getting fixed as of 10/30/2017: 74 days getting fixed.

So basically, if you're going to lemon a car make sure it's not at the dealership because it almost seems as if it's being held hostage while the case goes through so they can keep it or get it ready by fixing ABSOLUTELY everything with it before it goes back to auction with the lemon title and what have you. I have still not so much as seen my car since 9/5/17...

And to add fuel to the fire, they told me the car was going to be done by last Friday (aka 3-4 days ago) and no call since...

Last edited by Ghostiest; 10-30-2017 at 06:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ghostiest:
Jagged Wire (11-15-2017), Kief (10-31-2017), SinF (10-31-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Where are you from? Where has a dealer gone out? A benefit for all of us to know and to follow how your lemon claim goes. Had a problem with an early RR LR3 and dealer got it done if I took a new car from them.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Something here doesn't make sense.
Six visits for warranty repairs over a fairly short period, and apparently no-one bothered to check the engine oil level until the last visit?!?!?
The most important thing (for other owners, not the OP, the most important thing for him is he is not up for the cost of a new engine) is WHY?
Why and how did the engine oil level drop so low?????
As for service/oil change records, usually there is no paperwork, instead it's all stored electronically on tOPIX, and every JLR dealer has access to the system to look it up. So it seems they did look it up, found that an oil change was done at 6k, and hence they stopped arguing about whose fault the low oil was and agreed to replace the engine under warranty. That said, you're only going on the dealer's say so about the low oil, who knows how true that is or was.

Last edited by OzXFR; 10-30-2017 at 07:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (10-31-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I am going into the garage right now to check my oil level. Haven't done it in about a thousand miles.

Epilog: about an eighth inch from the top.

Oil level, air pressure, lug torque: don't trust anyone, check it yourself! Losing 6 quarts of oil is impossible without seeing a lot of black smoke or pools of oil. It was never put in to begin with.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-30-2017 at 08:11 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Bigg Will (11-02-2017), DPelletier (10-31-2017), JagRag (10-31-2017), SinF (10-31-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I am going into the garage right now to check my oil level. Haven't done it in about a thousand miles.

Epilog: about an eighth inch from the top.
Just checked my own. Right at the full mark.

Oil level, air pressure, lug torque: don't trust anyone, check it yourself! Losing 6 quarts of oil is impossible without seeing a lot of black smoke or pools of oil. It was never put in to begin with.
The OP talks about a 10k mile span where 6 quarts were lost. If it was never there, I don't think he'd have got that 10k miles. I had a car that lost a quart every 1500 miles or so and I didn't notice anything unusual except the oil level dropping.

I don't expect to ever hear what really caused the problem(s) but would really like to know.

SinF (10-31-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 09:14 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Maybe I'm old fashioned... I drive my cars pretty hard. It's going to get an oil change every 5k or sooner. Especially with no dipstick to look at the condition and color of the oil.

Bigg Will (11-02-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
Maybe I'm old fashioned... I drive my cars pretty hard. It's going to get an oil change every 5k or sooner. Especially with no dipstick to look at the condition and color of the oil.
I learned a little trick a few years ago on my XFR.
To check the condition and colour of the oil simply remove the oil filter canister (takes a few seconds), and there is a sizeable pool of oil sitting in the ring around the centre of where the canister screws in. Enough to easily extract some with a syringe. Exactly the same set-up on the F-Type, both V6 and V8.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I was curious if the owner checked the oil during his ownership of the car .. if he did, would he not have seen it drop, unless it was a sudden leak that you would surely notice.
If he checked and it indicated full, then the electronic dip stick was not functioning.
Lawrence.

JagRag (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 01:55 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Something here doesn't make sense.
Six visits for warranty repairs over a fairly short period, and apparently no-one bothered to check the engine oil level until the last visit?!?!?
The most important thing (for other owners, not the OP, the most important thing for him is he is not up for the cost of a new engine) is WHY?
Why and how did the engine oil level drop so low?????
As for service/oil change records, usually there is no paperwork, instead it's all stored electronically on tOPIX, and every JLR dealer has access to the system to look it up. So it seems they did look it up, found that an oil change was done at 6k, and hence they stopped arguing about whose fault the low oil was and agreed to replace the engine under warranty. That said, you're only going on the dealer's say so about the low oil, who knows how true that is or was.
No idea, the car didn't let me know at all until it started knocking. I had no CEL at all while the knock was present. They did find metal shavings in the little oil that was there and the piston/rods needed to be replaced and then decided the warped head and everything else was better off replaced as well.

Originally Posted by bjg625
Where are you from? Where has a dealer gone out? A benefit for all of us to know and to follow how your lemon claim goes. Had a problem with an early RR LR3 and dealer got it done if I took a new car from them.
Ill update the dealer and where after the case goes through. And I'll update you on the situation!

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Just checked my own. Right at the full mark.

The OP talks about a 10k mile span where 6 quarts were lost. If it was never there, I don't think he'd have got that 10k miles. I had a car that lost a quart every 1500 miles or so and I didn't notice anything unusual except the oil level dropping.

I don't expect to ever hear what really caused the problem(s) but would really like to know.
They found oil shavings in the motor. Like a lot. It needed new pistons/rods as well.

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I was curious if the owner checked the oil during his ownership of the car .. if he did, would he not have seen it drop, unless it was a sudden leak that you would surely notice.
If he checked and it indicated full, then the electronic dip stick was not functioning.
Lawrence.
The electronic dipstick didn't seem to be working, it said it was full of oil when it was getting serviced.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ghostiest:
JagRag (10-31-2017), SinF (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Wasn't this car giving you problems since purchase with smoke from exhaust? Thought you sold it?

Old 10-31-2017, 06:45 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for deciding to post OP. As I mentioned, we are small group and need to look out for each other here. Many of us have resolved our own Jag related issues (albeit not as significant) thanks to fellow members here, whereas JLR/Jag dealers haven't got a clue!

This makes #2 or #3?, blown R engines that have been discussed here.
Hopefully it all works out for you and you keep us posted on the outcome.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Wasn't this car giving you problems since purchase with smoke from exhaust? Thought you sold it?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...6/#post1435518

OP, please update us on your previous issue. Perhaps the two are related?

Old 10-31-2017, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Kief
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...6/#post1435518

OP, please update us on your previous issue. Perhaps the two are related?
If it's the same car, that first 49 miles must have been one helluva joy ride.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:14 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

If it's the same car, that first 49 miles must have been one helluva joy ride.
In looking at all of the OPs previous threads, including those on dropping down 2 gears at a high rpm creating the smoke problem and later drag racing it; I am sure they probably had nothing to do with its flurry of issues.

Sounds like those those were some very hard driven miles. It’s no wonder why he has tried selling it here on the forum on 4 different occasions. I feel sorry for the next guy that ends up with that car.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Ghostiest, thank you very much for posting this. Information like this is very helpful for the whole community.

This is second time we had a report of oil loss leading to catastrophic engine failure. What we need to understand is what is the method of engine oil loss.

In the past I dealt with a Subaru that had a blow-by. The car would warn you on the dash when it was about 1.5L low, way before any damage occurred. However, it would burn about 1L/1000km. It is conceivable that F-type with blow-by, if it lacks any kind of low oil warning, would run dry from just blow-by.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I was curious if the owner checked the oil during his ownership of the car ...
Lets not go down blaming road with this. Hindsight is 20/20.

a. Checking oil is huge PITA on this car. Much more inconvenient than with a dipstick.

b. Reportedly, there is a serious flaw with low oil warning system. Multiple people posted here that F-type doesn't have low oil warning system that is considered standard equipment on modern cars.

c. OP stated that dipstick was reporting full after service

Old 10-31-2017, 11:40 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

It doesnt have a low oil warning system. When I got my F Type V8S, it was nearly 2 quarts low from even reading on the bottom oil level.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:54 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I am extremely skeptical of an electronic gauge that tells me a fluid level. So far between both F types I've traveled over 60,000 miles and consumed zero oil. I could believe maybe a quartor so but since this is a lease it’s not my problem when a catastrophic failure occurs. My questioning attitude would lead me to believe these oil level sensors are not very accurate.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:43 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

They aren't at all accurate. A few weeks ago my oil level showed about 25%. I ended up adding a full quart, 1/4-quart at a time, and it got to almost full. Now, it's indicating about 50% and it fluctuates up and down quite drastically. Car has 2,000 miles on it.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:31 PM

My oil level easily fluctuates as well. Now I’m obsessed with checking it, but confused when I should add oil given how variable/inaccurate the readings are.

Pics taken within an hour of each other

Attached Thumbnails Engine is replaced/blown - F-Type R - Oil STARVATION!-adf6453d-aee1-4095-a7fc-84512b6cc1a0.png   Engine is replaced/blown - F-Type R - Oil STARVATION!-0a66ebcc-60c6-496f-84d8-ed975ba0ea47.png