F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine smoking, found a leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 02:36 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Engine smoking, found a leak

Yesterday i was driving my car and i noticed there was smoke coming out of the bonnet, i poppede up the bonnet and found out that there was a puddle sitting ontop of the engine underneith the supercharger, the oil has a green tint to it so i believe its coolant,
you can see the reflection of the liquid in the picture.

after searching on the forums I found out that there is a Y pipe that often cracks and leaks coolant exactly where I have my leak at. you can see the puddles ontop of the engine, they are exactly like that on my car too.

Now if this wasnt a kick in the *** my warranty expired 2 months ago . has anyone else had this leak before? how much was it to fix and would it be difficult to tackle it on my own?
any information helps! thanks!

The following users liked this post:
gts055 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Heaps of reports of this leak on the V8 on other sub-forums here - XF, XJ, XK - but few reports of it on the V6.
It's usually referred to as the coolant Y pipe or similar, search this and other sub-forums for that term and you should get a few hits.
AFAIK it's a different part to the V8 version.
The SC has to come off to replace it so while it is off it would be a good idea to replace ALL the plastic coolant pipes and tubes, especially the two cross-over pipes one at the front up high and one at the rear down low under the SC. Also the coolant expansion tank tube with the two thin bits that connect to the front cross-over pipe, mine has cracked/split twice (each of those thin tubes once) and I have read a few reports of this happening on other V6s.
From what I have read taking the SC off and replacing all these parts is not a job for the faint-hearted or someone who is not very handy with the spanners.
There are a few DIY threads and posts on it for the V8, again in the XF, XJ and XK sub-forums, and the method for the V6 is pretty much identical.
If you are too scared to try it yourself (I am!) then it will cost a fair bit to get it done as it's very labour intensive.

Old 09-21-2020, 02:30 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Talk to your dealer. Since you're only 2 months out of warranty, they might do a good faith repair and eat the cost or at least share it with you.

Paul_59 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Don’t jump to conclusions quite yet. F-Type coolant should have an orange tint. Touch some of the liquid to your tongue (and spit it out, please). If it has a sweet taste, it’s coolant ( and someone used the wrong stuff).

scm (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 07:13 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Don’t jump to conclusions quite yet. F-Type coolant should have an orange tint. Touch some of the liquid to your tongue (and spit it out, please). If it has a sweet taste, it’s coolant ( and someone used the wrong stuff).
+1 on the verification of coolant. This is well known to be the crossover or Y-type cooling pipes splitting at seam. This can be seen failed on both AJ126 and AJ133 engines. S/C removal for replacement. The belt removal is the bitch part since the hood is in the way. The pipes are upgraded to formed plastic. Will need upper and lower for replacement.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:31 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Good catch, my man! Assuming it's just cooling pipe replacement, you just saved yourself a mighty repair bill, no matter who does the job. Also, on the coolant, orange and yellow are both acceptable. Check the color in the coolant reservoir as sometimes a small puddle can look green. If you ever change the coolant, watch the stream as it comes out of the radiator, it will look florescent green/yellow however when you look at a large quantity it will be orange or yellow.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2020, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ferrral
Good catch, my man! Assuming it's just cooling pipe replacement, you just saved yourself a mighty repair bill, no matter who does the job. Also, on the coolant, orange and yellow are both acceptable. Check the color in the coolant reservoir as sometimes a small puddle can look green. If you ever change the coolant, watch the stream as it comes out of the radiator, it will look florescent green/yellow however when you look at a large quantity it will be orange or yellow.

Good luck!
thanks everyone for the responses, at first when i took a little out with a stick it was orange and it made me believe it was oil but then at night with a flashlight it had a fluorescent tint to it, aftre some research on the forums i came to the conclusion that its coolant and Y pipe is the problem, does anyone have a list of part numbers i should order while the supercharger is out as well? what are the updated y pipe part numbers? I will also be upgrading the torsion spring.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Heaps of reports of this leak on the V8 on other sub-forums here - XF, XJ, XK - but few reports of it on the V6.
It's usually referred to as the coolant Y pipe or similar, search this and other sub-forums for that term and you should get a few hits.
AFAIK it's a different part to the V8 version.
The SC has to come off to replace it so while it is off it would be a good idea to replace ALL the plastic coolant pipes and tubes, especially the two cross-over pipes one at the front up high and one at the rear down low under the SC. Also the coolant expansion tank tube with the two thin bits that connect to the front cross-over pipe, mine has cracked/split twice (each of those thin tubes once) and I have read a few reports of this happening on other V6s.
From what I have read taking the SC off and replacing all these parts is not a job for the faint-hearted or someone who is not very handy with the spanners.
There are a few DIY threads and posts on it for the V8, again in the XF, XJ and XK sub-forums, and the method for the V6 is pretty much identical.
If you are too scared to try it yourself (I am!) then it will cost a fair bit to get it done as it's very labour intensive.
i looked at the threads of the SC removal and it doesn't look like that difficult of a job but just a nightmare amount of work! I could not find a DIY for the SC removal though.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy F type
thanks everyone for the responses, at first when i took a little out with a stick it was orange and it made me believe it was oil but then at night with a flashlight it had a fluorescent tint to it, aftre some research on the forums i came to the conclusion that its coolant and Y pipe is the problem, does anyone have a list of part numbers i should order while the supercharger is out as well? what are the updated y pipe part numbers? I will also be upgrading the torsion spring.
Try this post:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...4/#post2287608

Old 09-21-2020, 05:13 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I guess we need to commission The Rock to take his S.C. off and document it for us. Or maybe he’ll get bored and do it just for fun.

madmax1911 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I guess we need to commission The Rock to take his S.C. off and document it for us. Or maybe he’ll get bored and do it just for fun.
He'd probably do it if we chipped in to buy him the replacement pipes.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:00 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

He'd probably do it if we chipped in to buy him the replacement pipes.
we could try the “challenge his manhood” approach - we used to do that in the car business if a guy was wavering on price or payments “oh do you need to check with your wife....? Or “you can’t afford that much?

Here goes: “The Rock will rip that supercharger apart and construct a pdf that would make the Alldata book look like a kids cartoon......unless he has to check with his lady first.”

OR

”I bet The Rock would do a pdf.......if he knew how to use tools or wasn’t afraid”

I will be checking back at noon tomorrow to download the SC manual!

Last edited by gg2684; 09-21-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Side note: Today I had my water pump replaced. There was a very slow leak of coolant at the pulley with some dried on coolant. Placed that and the hoses and connections.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:58 PM

okay so i found a guy i trust to do the job for a decent price, so for the upgraded coolant pipes this is the list from the PDF,
Connector tube AJ811997
Outlet pipe AJ813865
Outlet pipe o-ring (2) AJ811350
Engine coolant pipe AJ813917
Radiator coolant hose T2R7744
Engine coolant pipe C2Z28258
Heater outlet pipe, crossover pipe AJ814007
Thermostat kit C2Z19929

I will also get him to upgrade the torsion spring and change the supercharger oil.

Should I be ordering anything else while we are in there?

Carbuff2 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 06:23 PM

also which part number is the part thats circled in red? i cannot distinguish it from the diagrams, i was reading somewhere that for the 2016s that is the only part that is not upgraded and is prone to cracking, so maybe i won't have to replace all of the other parts and save some money.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:28 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there a way to know when Jaguar upgraded these parts
I have a 2016 which is in great shape with 36k kilometers with warranty until April 2021
Any chance they would upgrade some of these parts in advance if my 2016 doesn't have the new style parts

Old 09-22-2020, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Don't forget the expansion tank overflow tube, aka the "radiator header tank bleed hose", part # T2R5910.
Get it from Britcar for cheap see here: https://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.ph...t=&xPerPage=10

Carbuff2 (09-23-2020)