Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine software question ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Engine software question ...

Dealer service techs versus aftermarket tuning outfits, re: engine software.

Hi guys, can anyone answer this question, how is it that various aftermarket tuners can modify the stock engine software, bumping up the horsepower equal to the SVR and in some cases going beyond 575 HP, going up to the 600 HP range. Why can't the Jaguar service dept tech install the SVR engine software into another V8 motor, such as the R Series car. I know it's not that the tech doesn't want to do it because my dealer is pro modding cars and experimenting as long as the car owner gives consent. My dealer was unable to successfully install the SVR engine software into a few different V8 engine vehicles. The cars would not accept the SVR software. Can anyone explain what the aftermarket tuner outfit is doing different than what the Jaguar service techs have tried to do.
Thank you.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Pretty sure that Cambo has already answered this question, and from memory it's something to with the SVR tune being "locked" to the VIN of the car so it can't be installed on anything but an SVR.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Why would you pay SVR money for the same power as the lower model?

To simplify greatly:

The aftermarket tuners create hybrid tunes that overlay the higher powered tune's parameters on the original image. Thus it will accept the tune as "its own" but that tune will behave in some aspects like the "donor" tune.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned
Default Yes, I believe you are correct but ....

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Pretty sure that Cambo has already answered this question, and from memory it's something to with the SVR tune being "locked" to the VIN of the car so it can't be installed on anything but an SVR.
If the aftermarket tuning outfit has the ability to unlock this software, why can't the service dept tech do the same, after all they have the best/required electronics tools on hand to use when working with the cars computer. Or am I missing something here.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

The aftermarket outfits aren't using the actual factory SVR tune, unlocked or otherwise, they are using a different but similar tune.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Banned
Default Lizard man ...

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Why would you pay SVR money for the same power as the lower model?

To simplify greatly:

The aftermarket tuners create hybrid tunes that overlay the higher powered tune's parameters on the original image. Thus it will accept the tune as "its own" but that tune will behave in some aspects like the "donor" tune.

Here's my delema, I wish to get headers and sport cats for my car but doing this will require doing the software upgrade. My car is new so I'm concerned about voiding the factory warranty. God forbid if something goes wrong, Id be SOL !
So... I don't know how to address this issue without being risky.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Banned
Default Ah ....

The aftermarket outfits aren't using the actual factory SVR tune, unlocked or otherwise, they are using a different but similar tune.
Thank you for explaining this to me.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

My understanding is that to some extent, they are reverse-engineering the higher tunes to give a starting point for their own. Again, greatly simplified, but once the tuners see what the limits are for a factory tune, covered by warranty, they can get a much better idea of what's there to be had.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ubad2
If the aftermarket tuning outfit has the ability to unlock this software, why can't the service dept tech do the same, after all they have the best/required electronics tools on hand to use when working with the cars computer. Or am I missing something here.
Yes, missing that they work for the dealer and the software is licensed for specific uses. "Cracking" a factory tune to use in a non-licensed way would violate copyrights. There's a lot of grey in the aftermarket tuning world.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:08 PM
Banned
Default Guarantees and warranties

I wish there was an outfit such as DINAN to offer guarantee and warranty to cover any mods done. Otherwise it's a gamble unless your warranty period ihas expired.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:15 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

I have no idea how to explain this in laymans terms... but here goes.

The equipment used by aftermarket tuners to load tunes into a car is very different to the equipment used by a Jaguar dealer.

The dealer tool will only load engine tune files to a car if they pass all the various checks made by the tool itself, that the file is compatible, correct version, etc. this is where the VIN lock for the SVR comes in.

And then the method in which it is flashed to the ECU is different as well. The file formats are different, and the way those files are loaded are different too.

The aftermarket tuning tools more or less use a brute force method of flashing the file into the ECU, the factory tool makes many tests and checks as it goes. The aftermarket tool just flashes and boom it's done.

To put an SVR tune into a non-SVR car, you have to first read out the factory tune from the ECU with the aftermarket tuning tool. Then take the relevant parameters from that file of the "read out" like the fuel, spark, etc and copy those parameters into a tune file for a standard R. Then flash it to the non-SVR car with the aftermarket tool.

That's basically how it's done, there is a lot more to it in detail, but more or less how it works....

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
DJS (01-30-2017), tberg (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 06:22 PM
Banned
Default Thanks Cambo ...

Originally Posted by Cambo
I have no idea how to explain this in laymans terms... but here goes.

The equipment used by aftermarket tuners to load tunes into a car is very different to the equipment used by a Jaguar dealer.

The dealer tool will only load engine tune files to a car if they pass all the various checks made by the tool itself, that the file is compatible, correct version, etc. this is where the VIN lock for the SVR comes in.

And then the method in which it is flashed to the ECU is different as well. The file formats are different, and the way those files are loaded are different too.

The aftermarket tuning tools more or less use a brute force method of flashing the file into the ECU, the factory tool makes many tests and checks as it goes. The aftermarket tool just flashes and boom it's done.

To put an SVR tune into a non-SVR car, you have to first read out the factory tune from the ECU with the aftermarket tuning tool. Then take the relevant parameters from that file of the "read out" like the fuel, spark, etc and copy those parameters into a tune file for a standard R. Then flash it to the non-SVR car with the aftermarket tool.

That's basically how it's done, there is a lot more to it in detail, but more or less how it works....

Your explaination is clear and understandable. I guess I will have to leave my car as is, in order to not risk voiding the car warrenty.
Too bad for me.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:14 PM

But you're not voiding the warranty on "the" car by getting a tune flashed to the ECU.

The rest of the car is still 100% warranted; take Unhinged for example, the Keyless Entry failed on his car, it's covered by the warranty, and is being replaced under warranty, his car has a tune (and other mods) and the dealer knows it, the tune does not affect the warranty on the whole car.

And even engine or drivetrain related matters would still be covered, for example I know of a couple of new Jags which were tuned, the diff failed, the torque converter failed, replacement was covered under warranty.

If a water pump or a MAF sensor fails, it's nothing to due with the tune, it will be covered. A melted piston caused by a bad tune, is obviously not going to be covered.

It's not all or nothing when it comes to warranty.

And one thing jumps out at me, you said your dealer has been trying to flash the SVR tune into other cars? So the dealer has been "voiding the warranty" of his own or customers cars? Sounds like they are gearheads themselves, and would not give a crap if you put a tune in. Hell some dealers have been known to sell aftermarket tunes to their customers and even flash them in the dealers workshop...

Old 01-29-2017, 07:20 PM

There are lots of threads discussing this warranty issue with tunes already...

Have a look https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rranty-175665/

Old 01-29-2017, 08:13 PM
Banned
Default Cambo you make a good point ...

Originally Posted by Cambo
There are lots of threads discussing this warranty issue with tunes already...

Have a look https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rranty-175665/

When saying my dealer tried to install SVR engine software into other V8 engines. I however don't know if those cars were no longer covered by warranty . If I do software and the engine goes Kaboom... then I'll be up a creek without a paddle.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Its more likely that you do a software upgrade, and do something stupid, then wreck you car. That is more likely to happen thathe engine going 'Kaboom'.

For example...lets say you upgrade the tune on you F type V8. Now your throttle response is feathery, and you punch it and spin out of control because you don't have the right amount of rubber on he road. You hit a light pole and total your car.

Do you blame the tuners for this?

Same goes if you aren't taking precautions to moderate your upgraded engine performance (servicing on an accelerated schedule, using the best fluids, insuring that you have adequate cooling, etc..). An outfit that tunes your car is providing a service that you know involved risk. If you gamble and are unprepared, then you lose

to quote The spider mans dad (uncle?) "With great power, comes great responsibility"...

Old 01-30-2017, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I think the risk of becoming involved in a (serious) traffic accident each time we are out on the roads, is in general way higher than having your engine blow up because of an moderate engine performance upgrade. But we don't reduce our use of the F-type (or other vehicles) for that reason - do we?

So yes - the risk is there, but compared to other risks we daily expose our self to, I think this is one of the minor ones - if you look at the whole picture.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

ive had ECU tunes on my cars (bmw).....and never had an issue with warranty....never had an issue with them knowing either!

although in my case, the tune was plug-n-play.....i can add it or remove it within seconds and i keep hearing it was untraceable. At one point the fuel injectors failed on me, it was at the dealership for a few days and no one said a thing about a tune (i had it removed)