F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine ticking sound on start up

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Mine sounds like a 32 Ford tractor. Sometimes when it's cold. Sometimes when it's warm. No rhyme or reason. Shop says all is in normal working order.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by kaspa
I have this issue on my 2018 F Type coupe .. car has completed 1200 miles, do I need to worry ? or is this normal so just wondered if there are some engine experts on this site to put my mind at rest
My vehicle is currently in the shop for an engine tick w/ over 11k miles on the vehicle. My tick has been confirmed as a problem by the Jaguar dealership; and over the last week they've been unable to diagnose it. Latest I heard is they sent sound clips to Jaguars engineering team.

My issue may be different but here's what I know: these engines have always been loud at startup, and always sounded sort of like a diesel due to the direct injection system. If you open the hood there will be a pronounced tick coming from the injectors; this is normal. My ticking noise can be heard over the engine when driving and does decrease as the engine warms; but does not go away. It sounds very similar to shaking a salt shaker in perfect rhythm with the engine, increasing along with engine rpm.

If this sounds like you, take it in. If it sounds like just the injectors you're hearing, don't worry about it and just mention it during your next service.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello ... sounds like exactly what I have .. tap tap tap tap .... but when warm goes away ... the car is only 3 months old with 1200 miles on the clock ??

I will keep you updated .. many thanks

Old 09-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

£100 bets on the hydraulic lifters (tappets).

If the sound didn't go away when it was warm, then I would suspect the Supercharger coupling (noise emanates from the SC snout).

Old 09-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
If the sound didn't go away when it was warm, then I would suspect the Supercharger coupling (noise emanates from the SC snout).
And that's what was replaced the first time (entire supercharger) I took it in for this noise. And while the supercharger was apparently bad, it did not fix the noise.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by kaspa
old thread alert ..... sorry

I have this issue on my 2018 F Type coupe .. car has completed 1200 miles, do I need to worry ? or is this normal so just wondered if there are some engine experts on this site to put my mind at rest

all the best
Not an issue if the ticking goes away within 5 minutes of starting a cold engine.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Not an issue if the ticking goes away within 5 minutes of starting a cold engine.
Hello Unhingd

Many thanks for the update

Old 09-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
That sounds more like something to do with the belt driven bits on the outside of the engine - based on the frequency.
That ticking noise always bothered me and I have mentioned it several times to the service rep. They would always tell me it was due to the DI and not to worry about it. Even pulled an XJ and an F tYpe that were in the service bay and they all made a similar noise. I recently had to a coolant leak and had to remove the top end of my engine to get to the pipe. In the process, the water pump had to be removed, so I decided to replace it. Didn't notice the change until a few times getting back in the car and the ticking noise is completely gone !!! so F-Typical's assertion about it sounds like a belt driven component seems to make sense in my case. The water pumps are a known issue with our engine in both 6cyl. and 8 cyl. forms as there have been several redesigns and updates to the water pump over the years. thoughts?

Old 11-24-2020, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F Pace V6 S - Ticking

A recent purchase of 2017 F Pace S and as Stohlen described very well, a ticking or tappety noise experienced, "a salt shaker in perfect rhythm with the engine, increasing along with engine rpm", this constant and irrespective of engine temperature and car is at 28k miles. Car was in Jaguar service centre last week and technician echoed what we have heard here before that this a standard noise with the fuel injectors on the 3.0 supercharged engine. Interesting then that Cherry states that this rectified with water pump replacement.
I wonder if anyone can corroborate if have pump was proven to be the issue?
Cynic in me wonders whether this work is not cost-effective for the dealership, any thoughts?

I guess key point is whether there are any cases to share where Jaguar [or independent] acknowledged this as a problem, rather than a characteristic, and made good successful repairs?
many thanks
Mark

Old 11-24-2020, 01:13 PM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Hydraulic buckets perhaps?
If im correct, they are normally solid tappets, not hydraulic. It depends on model and motor i think.

The following users liked this post:
chris.schneider (09-07-2021)
Old 11-24-2020, 03:27 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Rummy636
If im correct, they are normally solid tappets, not hydraulic. It depends on model and motor i think.
yes the supercharged V6 and V8 have solid bucket lifters, not hydraulic

Old 04-22-2021, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IanA
Hi I have an FTYPE S V6 which has just a 1000 miles on the clock now. When you first do a cold start the engine has a pronounced tick, like a tapper noise which disappears when the engine is warmed up. I wondered if anyone else had experienced this?
yea i get the same thing...took mine in to get it checked out and the dealer says "normal" so..... i guess it's normal but sounds concerning to me.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:54 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

My new used motor (8k miles ) ticks on cold startup. I don’t really hear it after running! I guess it’s OK!

Old 04-27-2021, 12:39 PM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts

I noticed a ticking, but with my MY2017 Manual/premium, it sounds more like it's coming from the center of the car rather than the engine compartment. Going to dealer tomorrow, will ask.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:20 PM
Received 57 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine does this too.. sounds like an exhaust leak until it gets warm to me. I've had similar from slip fit race exhausts before but never on a unmodified car

Old 04-19-2022, 01:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad I found this thread! I've the same engine "salt shaker tic" in my 2016 F-type S Convertible. I've only had the car a few weeks which I purchased from Carvana.com. Last week I took it to Jaguar Ocala to get it fully checked out ( also for things like software updates for ECU & TCU etc... ). I did tell them about the ticking sound before they checked everything out. Once done, they said all was well, but they did clean the fuel injectors as they acknowledged the ticking sound and they wanted to smooth out the fuel pressure flow, and they added some injector cleaner to the fuel tank. I drove the 170 miles home, and days later the ticking sound is still there ( for sure when I start it ). I've been SO worried about this because the car came from Carvana.com and I drove it 180 miles home only to find out that the oil level was showing "Oil Over Filled!" when I checked the oil in the computer, which we all know is never a good thing in these engines ( there were no warning lights just to be clear ). I took care of that right away but it left me worried about any damage from oil overfilling.
Thanks to this thread, I'll be sure to park the car when I get home today, and with the car running and I'll check to see if the ticking is still there or not with everything warmed up... wish me luck!?!
UPDATE: I did check once I got home ( about a 30 min. drive ) and I did still have some ticking at idle though not as much as a cold startup.

Last edited by TheMark38; 04-20-2022 at 11:03 AM.