F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPB Release?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Only got the silver one. Fits in next to the battery.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:31 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I got both, but never figured out what the black one is for (it's not like the manual would tell you.) like Foosh, I guessed it was for the rear, possibly used in shipment.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I got both, but never figured out what the black one is for (it's not like the manual would tell you.) like Foosh, I guessed it was for the rear, possibly used in shipment.
Actually, I thought the opposite, black for front bumper bar, silver for rear since the rear valence is more tucked under. But, I've never tried either receptacle behind the front or rear pop-out panels.

I'll figure it out if I ever find myself up to my axles in something and need to be pulled out, so I keep them both in the car.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Actually, I thought the opposite, black for front bumper bar, silver for rear since the rear valence is more tucked under. But, I've never tried either receptacle behind the front or rear pop-out panels.

I'll figure it out if I ever find myself up to my axles in something and need to be pulled out, so I keep them both in the car.
The front one is the longer one with reverse threads. All the cars have two different tow hooks. They throw the shorter one in the trunk and the other one is under the trunk liner.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Nookieman
The front one is the longer one with reverse threads. All the cars have two different tow hooks. They throw the shorter one in the trunk and the other one is under the trunk liner.
Exactly. The threaded hole for the front tow hook (stashed right next to the battery in a styrofoam pocket) is in the frame about 4-5" behind the bumper bar. Hence, the long silver one is needed up front. The shorter hook (also with a reverse thread), must fit somewhere at the rear valence or rear bumper, but I have not yet been able to find that threaded hole. For storage, there's number of 3 inch long elastic bands around the inside perimeter of the boot that can be used.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info on which is which. I haven't felt any urgency to find out, but I know where the "trap doors" are for both front and back, and my pictures above showed the two different hooks.

Funny how threads drift . . . I just posted the first picture to show the location of the EPB module in the convertible trunk, and the short black hook happened to be in the photo. All of sudden, it's thread about tow hooks. Gotta love car forums . . .

Last edited by Foosh; 09-27-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:28 PM

Yes, I know where they are since I posted pictures of the storage locations on my car above, but thanks for the info on which was which. I haven't felt in urgency to find out.
I only know because I have the tow hook mounted license plate on the front of my car. I do carry a tow strap in the trunk though. If history is any predictor of future events, I fully expect to put this car in a ditch someday. I figure the tow hook is one accessory I should familiarize myself with.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:31 PM

Yes, I know where they are since I posted pictures of the storage locations on my car above, but thanks for the info on which is which. I haven't felt any urgency to find out, but I know where the "trap doors" are for both front and back.

Funny how threads drift . . . I just posted the first picture to show the location of the EPB module in the convertible trunk, and the short black hook happened to be in the photo. All of sudden, it's thread about tow hooks. Gotta love car forums . . .
Have we determined if your car is the only one that has the EPB release? I haven't had the chance to look at mine yet. It would be good to know any other locations this gizmo might occupy...

Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Have we determined if your car is the only one that has the EPB release? I haven't had the chance to look at mine yet. It would be good to know any other locations this gizmo might occupy...

The OP's '16 is in the same location as my '14, so I assume yours is in the same place. The coupe's seems to be MIA.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:53 PM

The OP's '16 is in the same location as my '14, so I assume yours is in the same place. The coupe's seems to be MIA.
Thank you, I will take a look.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Ok... here's another observation regarding silly British engineering. Why not use the same size thread for the front tow hook as for the rear? Then only one tow hook needed.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Ok... here's another observation regarding silly British engineering. Why not use the same size thread for the front tow hook as for the rear? Then only one tow hook needed.
And we could save eight ounces of weight...

Old 09-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

That seems rather trivial when you consider what Cambo told us earlier tonight. The easiest way to change the intake air filters is to take the nose off the car. Otherwise, the car needs to be lifted, both front wheels, fender liners, and the nose pan on the bottom must be removed, just to get to the filter housings.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:32 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
Here is a picture of the release. Drivers side of boot behind a small insert
My 15 coupe has nothing that looks like this in the boot. I checked everywhere for the EPB compartment - nothing.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
My 15 coupe has nothing that looks like this in the boot. I checked everywhere for the EPB compartment - nothing.
That access panel location appears to be unique to the convertible. I wonder where it is on the coupe.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

No such panel on my 2016.

Looks to me that panel in your picture is removable in the coupe, and that the EPB module is almost certainly behind it. It would certainly complicate the assembly line process if it were in a different location.

It may not be as "convenient" to access as in the convertible, but I suspect JLR doesn't consider it necessary for it to be readily accessible. It's not surprising that area is more finished off in the coupe since that area is visible all the time.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Looks to me that panel in your picture is removable in the coupe, and that the EPB module is almost certainly behind it. It would certainly complicate the assembly line process if it were in a different location.

It may not be as "convenient" to access as in the convertible, but I suspect JLR doesn't consider it necessary for it to be readily accessible. It's not surprising that area is more finished off in the coupe since that area is visible all the time.

I suspect you are right, but it certainly is no longer a driver accessible feature. Would require disassembly and removal of the interior trim panels including the removal of the tie down anchors behind the side windows.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

I suspect you are right, but it certainly is no longer a driver accessible feature.
The odd thing is that it is still a driver accessible feature in the convertible, since the OP found it in his '16 MT.