Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EV F-Type? (Article)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 10:24 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default EV F-Type? (Article)

Article Link

I thought it was interesting, though the article is basically a huge amount of speculation and not much else. Still wish that CX75 became a full production thing

Old 08-02-2021, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Science fiction. The fundamental issues of batteries overheating in any kind of extreme motorsports scenario have not been solved.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:17 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Interesting that they call the F-Pace a charismatic coupe ... Are they confused?

Old 08-02-2021, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Interesting that they call the F-Pace a charismatic coupe ... Are they confused?
Perhaps they're intoxicated.

"This exclusive rendering imagins a car ..."

Old 08-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

There were initial issues with Tesla S's overheating and failing on the track, but the I-Pace has never had that problem and there is a race series that launched sponsored by Jaguar that followed Formula-E racing but Covid took it out. They also didn't overheat. Currently, a Telsa S Plaid holds one of the track records at Laguna Seca so they too have apparently solved the overheating issue. Tesla, GM, and Jaguar are all developing electric sports cars. The Tesla is expected to have a sub-2 second 0-60 (thanks to boosters) that should make it rather dangerous for the older guys who are on the shortlist to buy it. When you realize that the fastest Dodge Demon in dragstrip trim does a 2.6 0-60 that Tesla will be wicked fast. I'm looking at buying either the Corvette or Jaguar electric depending on the final configuration. Rumor is that they are refitting the C8 and making it initially a hybrid due to cost but, given the I-Pace was a ground-up redesign, the electric Jaguar Sports Car (G-Type?) may be ground up as well, we'll see. High-speed driving will certainly require new battery technology. I've tried to track my I-Pace but you need a track with a Level 3 high-speed charger and there isn't one around me yet. Performance, reliability, and appearance should all be sorted but the damn battery technology is holding these efforts back somewhat. Next-generation cars should all have over 300-mile ranges in this class but rapid charging in less than 30 minutes is still mostly a dream. As a side note my old track car was a Mercedes GLA 45 AMGwhich is the fastest 0-30 car Mercedes makes, My I-Pace was quicker to 30 and both have almost identical 0-60 times. The latest rumor on the electric F-type has it as a 1,360 HP monster. Background links:

Tesla Model S Plaid sets new lap record at Laguna Seca, closes in on McLaren Senna (teslarati.com)
Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy - Wikipedia
The Official Home of Formula E | FIA Formula E
Roadster | Tesla
2023 Chevrolet Corvette E-Ray: Everything We Know About the Hybrid (motortrend.com)
Jaguar F-Type replacement rendered as 1,360hp EV: price, specs and release date | carwow

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

From what I know about that Telsa S that hold electric car track record at Laguna Seca, it was heavily modified with non-production mods, including completely custom battery cooling tech.

While the fundamental issues of batteries overheating in any kind of extreme motorsports scenario is potentially solvable, I am not aware of it being solved in any of production EVs. Notably, Tesla delayed release of their Roadster for unstated reasons. I speculate the bottleneck is increased battery costs, as sustained discharge rates required in racing would likely require per-cell liquid cooling loop instead of per-pack cooling that is currently state of the art.

Regardless, JLR that is few generations behind Tesla in battery tech, has very limited expertise and budged to pull off all-electric successor to F-type. It is one thing to release overpriced electric SUV to commuter crowd, it is entirely different thing to be able to produce track-ready e-car.

Last edited by SinF; 08-03-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:56 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Actually, I think the delay is those damn rocket boosters that sound insane to me but damned if I wouldn't give them a shot if given the chance. I linked to a video of a pro Tracking a tesla. On Hooked on Driving day out here there was one guy that would track his Model 3 regularly, issue was the track only had a level 2 charger which meant he really could only do half a day if he wanted enough power left over to make it to the closest Tesla Supercharger which wasn't exactly convenient. His car was competitive with my AMG and both of us were regularly passing race-prepped cars on the track (the only difference was I had an instructor and he didn't). I still think a hybrid battery using ultracapacitors would be the right choice for a racing electric. But your point that batteries are the weakest link is accurate, the cooling problem has been sorted for several years however and Formula E did help with that. Right now if you were going to track a Tesla the Model 3 performance is probably your best bet. The Plaid Model S has a cost in line with a supercar making it too expensive for most as a track car, plus it's a 4 door sedan, the one that set the record was modified by UP which is kind of like AMG was for Mercedes before they were acquired (what was reported was they modified the suspension and aero, not the power train or batteries). The Tesla S Plaid was actually developed on Leguna Seca so it should have already been power-optimized for that track.
(2) Professional Race Car Driver Reacts to Tesla Model 3Track Mode! - Bing video
The article on the UP Tesla Plaid is here: Tesla Model S Plaid modded by UP breaks EV lap record at Laguna Seca - Electrek
Oh and an electric car just set a world record in Germany, no ICE race car could touch it: Nio EP9 sets EV Nürburgring record with 6:45.9 blast (motorauthority.com)

Last edited by enderle; 08-03-2021 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (08-08-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 04:44 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Not sure why there's so much hate on electrics. I have one, an Audi e-tron, and it's first class...but needs a serious range boost before it'll replace my Audi A6 TDI as a long distance cruiser. Aside from that weakness, it's better in every regard compared to the A6.In fact, it's the quietest, most comfortable, down the road car I've ever driven. As a sports car replacement, I've no doubt continued advances will make electrics a viable alternative to today's F-Type. Take a look at reviews of the Audi e-tron GT or a Taycan...and bottom line...they seem pretty impressive. Yeah, range is too short, too damned heavy...but, it's still early days on electrics. Moore's law probably applies here too... to some degree. So why can't we just sit back and enjoy the ride? It's amazing to me that we get to have remarkable 550+ HP ICE sports cars in addition to all the other new options hitting the market.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:13 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by YRS
Not sure why there's so much hate on electrics. I have one, an Audi e-tron, and it's first class...but needs a serious range boost before it'll replace my Audi A6 TDI as a long distance cruiser. Aside from that weakness, it's better in every regard compared to the A6.In fact, it's the quietest, most comfortable, down the road car I've ever driven. As a sports car replacement, I've no doubt continued advances will make electrics a viable alternative to today's F-Type. Take a look at reviews of the Audi e-tron GT or a Taycan...and bottom line...they seem pretty impressive. Yeah, range is too short, too damned heavy...but, it's still early days on electrics. Moore's law probably applies here too... to some degree. So why can't we just sit back and enjoy the ride? It's amazing to me that we get to have remarkable 550+ HP ICE sports cars in addition to all the other new options hitting the market.
So, "it's better in every regard", except it can't go far and it costs a lot more. In other words, not better. I actually think the E-Tron is one of the better choices and gives Tesla a real competitor, but making everything go electric at this point is not good. The "hate" is mostly because it is being forced before its really viable for everyone and everything. Cost, access to charging, battery manufacture and disposal, electric grid to support it, and so on, are all a serious problem. On top of that I don't even think batteries are the long term solution, but its being forced no matter what the consequences.

I also love how people quote 0-60 times to justify that something has "high performance". Sure, if all you do is go to a drag strip, and probably only if you stick to a 1/8th mile track. Of all the time I've spent at a track, do you know how many times 0-60 mattered? Think none,

The following 2 users liked this post by Jay_Davis:
MV Rider (08-04-2021), SinF (08-08-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 05:53 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

All good. Again, that's my comparison to my Audi A6. And it wasn't meaningfully more expensive out-the-door compared to today's A6 similarly equipped. And as i said, range aside, I'll drive the e-tron every day over the A6. NOT my F Type. Today, no one's forcing anyone to buy electric...tomorrow, we'll see. And frankly, every ICE machine has a ton of legacy recycling costs, disposal issues, maintenance expenses and so on as well. Regarding the grid issues, I've not seen a meaningful study that indicates that the folks who actually sell electricity see this as an issue...but agree that some work likely will be done. My point was I'm just glad to have choice...and I'm open to considering just about any option....depending on mission. I don't care much about 0-60's, but do care about overall driving enjoyment... that's a situational question. I'll keep my ICE for the track -- no issue with that line of thought. But frankly, I'm ready to see what an properly developed road oriented electric sports car feels like.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:29 AM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
From what I know about that Telsa S that hold electric car track record at Laguna Seca, it was heavily modified with non-production mods, including completely custom battery cooling tech.

While the fundamental issues of batteries overheating in any kind of extreme motorsports scenario is potentially solvable, I am not aware of it being solved in any of production EVs. Notably, Tesla delayed release of their Roadster for unstated reasons. I speculate the bottleneck is increased battery costs, as sustained discharge rates required in racing would likely require per-cell liquid cooling loop instead of per-pack cooling that is currently state of the art.

Regardless, JLR that is few generations behind Tesla in battery tech, has very limited expertise and budged to pull off all-electric successor to F-type. It is one thing to release overpriced electric SUV to commuter crowd, it is entirely different thing to be able to produce track-ready e-car.
Wait n see what Mate Rimac has in his back pocket and available for many Marques AND Platforms!
This Croation kid is one rad genius. JLR should be at the cutting edge of participation.
Then again I am a (Darn Good) cow punching horseman and not a "tracker"! YET.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:48 AM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Presenting the new F-Type EV

https://carbuzz.com/news/an-electric...a-proper-fight

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 08-04-2021 at 05:55 AM.