Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ewww, I read that Jaguar is making a 4 cylinder f type

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 09:39 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

If memory serves, Aussies have reported $200K USD F-types.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

My guess is that this will be a high-boost turbo i4. As noted earlier, this combination put out 500 hp in the CX-17. This combination would help the overall weight and balance of the F-Type. As I recall, Jaguar is considering making a GT3 race car with this combination. I'm not an expert by any means, but I would not surprised to see 600 hp with this combination after the various tuner shops get a hold of it.

As to the V6S then being the top dog replacing the V8, maybe, but the engine will have to have a fairly high level of boost.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I know we'd all like a V6 or a V8 but emissions / economics / taxes etc as has been stated means that a 4 cyl maye be on the way in more than just the F type.

Bear in mind there are variants out there producing 300bhp and o-60 times of around 4 secs, so still no slouches, just not a V6 / V8.

Someone also mentioned earlier about a diesel version, jokingly.

Audi did something similar in their A4 Cabriolets, offering the sleek sporty looking lines combined with soft top motoring, reasonable performance and economy.

I know it might sound like the end of the world for some, but perhaps for others it opens up more options?

Old 10-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Obviously not a JLR power plant, but Volvo just released details on what's supposed to be a "concept" power plant but is believed to possibly be the high end offering on their new XC90. 450hp from a 2-liter four - and none of the weight penalty in a big blown V8. No word on torque, but it should be quite considerable.

Volvo specs new 450-hp triple-charged four-cylinder engine - Autoblog

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 383 Likes on 257 Posts

U know I hate to switch gears here but let me just say something that strikes me....

I don't track cars so I don't really need 550hp supercharged V8. Do I love it.. Yes. Do I need it. NO.

That being said I am against anything but the F-type R. Why???

Because they have the "value" Engine F-types set up to bankroll me right into a V8.

Have you optioned up a F-Type V6S to BRG, glass roof, 20" black wheels, suede pack with racing seats, upgraded stereo, etc etc???.... It's 95k or more :O

........ Might as well get a F-Type R! To hell with fuel efficiency if they are gonna throw in all the upgrades cheaper on the V8!!

Old 10-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 500

A friend in the States sent me this the other day, might ease your minds about 4 cylinder engined cars:
So it looks like your V6 and V8 cylinders cars will be chasing the lighter and faster 4 cylinder ones

Volvo is in the midst of replacing its entire model and powertrain
lineup, beginning with the all-new XC90 SUV weeks ago. But the company
has stayed mum on powertrain specifics until now, only promising
eye-watering figures (north of 400 hp) for its new cars from
small-displacement engines, figures that could make one forget
everything about Volvo engines of the last 40 years.

If the newly revealed High Performance Drive-E Powertrain is any
indication, the company will keep its promise: The 2.0-liter
inline-four engine will be able to produce up to 450 hp, a figure that
even the AMG-tuned inline-four from the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG and
the GLA45 AMG won't be able to touch.

Dave

Old 10-10-2014, 05:25 PM

Agree. But I wonder if it's any different from the new Volvo engine that was mentioned just two posts up!

Old 10-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Living not from Coventry and often passing the SVO in Whiteley I often see the F-Types and a few Range Rovers being road tested in camouflage, as soon as I saw the F-Type and heard the engine I wanted one and if I have to sell the E-Type to get one then thats what will happen, 4 cylinder or whatever I really think they are one of the best looking sports cars on the road.

Dave

Old 10-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebird
And don't forget the hybrid is inevitably coming and will give Jag the best of both worlds - really fab torque and acceleration with good emissions. We might all miss the sounds of the V8 (and V6 eventually) but have to accept it will come.
I think the Jaguar C-X75 and the Porsche 918 give us reason to look forward to the future, even if it is a green one.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Wouldn't a 4 cylinder engine producing 400hp be more prone to wear and tear, than would an 8 cylinder engine producing that much.

One of the nice things about the xjs v12 was that it could produce the 270hp without much effort, meaning its metal parts would last easliy 350,000 miles (but not its rubber parts obviously).

Old 10-10-2014, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by lunagry
Wouldn't a 4 cylinder engine producing 400hp be more prone to wear and tear, than would an 8 cylinder engine producing that much.

One of the nice things about the xjs v12 was that it could produce the 270hp without much effort, meaning its metal parts would last easliy 350,000 miles (but not its rubber parts obviously).
I think that's a more than reasonable assumption. You don't get 400+ hp out of a two liter engine without it being stretched and stressed. Still, I don't think that's what Jaguar will do. I think the 4-cylinder F Type will be close to but below the current V6 output, say 275hp or thereabouts, and maybe a few grand cheaper to help the entry price on the car start with a "5" and not a "6".

Old 10-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by lunagry

I think it depends on materials, design and manufacturing precision. The alloys used nowadays are much better than days of the xjs, and engine design has come a long way. There is a good argument that engines can be designed to operate at far higher rpms and temperatures but actually produce less component stress and better reliability than old engines because of better stress design, better thermal characteristics, better fuel injection and timing, etc.
The principal impediment is actually not design but cost....

Old 10-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 340 Posts

ok, who's going to say it, "there's no replacement for displacement."
truth be told, I used to be a small engines, hp per liter kind of guy. Then I got a taste for torque and power. And sound. If I had money, I'd be collecting Ferrari V12s right now

Old 10-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
ok, who's going to say it, "there's no replacement for displacement."
truth be told, I used to be a small engines, hp per liter kind of guy. Then I got a taste for torque and power. And sound. If I had money, I'd be collecting Ferrari V12s right now
After 10 or so, large displacement, high horsepower and torque V8s over the years, I find myself going in the opposite direction. What I'm yearning to see in the development of gasoline-powered cars in the future is high-powered, small-displacement, forced-induction engines coupled with massive weight reductions.

The horsepower wars over the last decade or so have been both amazing and fun, but the large weight gains in virtually all high-performance models is negative trend in my view. Even the soon-to-be-released, highly-praised, C7 Z06 is reported to have gained 300 lbs. in comparison to its C6 counterpart.

My "epiphany" on this issue occurred when I got involved in SCCA Autocross in my Lotus Elise. Both the C6 Z06 and the Lotus Elise/Exige were for several years classified by SCCA in the "Super Stock" class (highest performance stock class). Even the M3 was placed in "A Stock," one class down, and Porsches weren't very competitive.

The Lotus and Corvette battled it out for 5-6 years for the SCCA National Championship in Super Stock with results being essentially a draw. Not surprisingly, on the tighter courses, the Lotus always seemed to win, and on those with slightly longer and straighter sections, the Corvette had the edge. Those two cars couldn't have been more different, but they were equally competitive in that venue.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Interestingly last week the CEO of Porsche North America was asked when Porsche would be coming out with an entry level vehicle less expensive than the Boxter. His reply was "our entry models are our pre-owned vehicles".

Old 10-14-2014, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 383 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
Interestingly last week the CEO of Porsche North America was asked when Porsche would be coming out with an entry level vehicle less expensive than the Boxter. His reply was "our entry models are our pre-owned vehicles".
Well... If that wasn't the middle finger extended with thumb abducted I'll eat my hat!