F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust flutter/whistle/whine help. Where's Matlock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021 | 10:52 AM
|
Default Exhaust flutter/whistle/whine help. Where's Matlock?

Been having this noise from the exhaust intermittently since buying the car in Feb. It's a medium-high pitched, A# note, that isn't quite steady, but almost fluttery...almost like how an old fan belt might sound in an old car that needed replaced.

16 R, Dealership tells me they can't hear it, I've had it in twice now. Both times they couldn't recreate it themselves (even after driving it around, they said), and both times it didn't do it when I started it up when picking it up. Usually happens on a warmish start, usually it goes away with driving after 15-20 minutes, but not much sooner than that. Once it stops and I turn the car off, it will stay away unless I leave the car for like at least 30 minutes and then turn it back on. It doesn't happen in the mornings when starting cold. It happens regardless of Active Exhaust status or gear or RPM. Throttle input only makes it slightly louder, it doesn't change pitch, and the vibration doesn't increase or decrease. It doesn't become SUPER loud, I can't hear it over 40 mph.

Tell me I'm not crazy, please.

Video #1 - the noise isn't quite discernable until :26, I included this video to show how it usually sounds until that noise starts.
Videos #2 and #3 - it's prevalent in both, and comes and goes in volume depending on where my phone was positioned. Sorry about the thumbs in #3, I wasn't paying attention to the screen.

Old 07-31-2021 | 12:49 PM

I believe I hear what you're referring to - no idea what it actually is, or what particular part in the exhaust system might be causing this. But I expect it's some part of the exhaust system.

Is your 16 just out of warranty recently? I recently took mine in (16 as well) because there was a squeak when shutting off the car. I could hear it when I turned off the car, while the drivers door was open. Can you hear that squeak?

They said it was an actuator or some part in the exhaust, but they had to order an entire muffler to fix it. Can't replace the one piece. It cost about $2,500-$3,000. Here is a link of the part which may be the cause: https://parts.harperjaguar.com/oem-p...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D

Might do a video of mine and see if it's doing the same thing as yours.

I asked the advisor if this affected any functionality, and he said not at all, it's just a case of a weird noise.

The following users liked this post:
jlewis10 (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021 | 01:20 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I believe the ‘16 uses engine vacuum (rather than the electric vacuum pump mine has) to open the exhaust valves. Maybe a vacuum leak?

Old 07-31-2021 | 08:41 PM
|

Originally Posted by bluejaag
I believe I hear what you're referring to - no idea what it actually is, or what particular part in the exhaust system might be causing this. But I expect it's some part of the exhaust system.

Is your 16 just out of warranty recently?
Interesting - as yes, I believe I have heard the odd quiet squeak when turning off the car - but I chalked it up to "just V8 things", since this is my first one. I'll give it a listen with the door open next time I turn it off!

And it's under extended warranty until January, as it was a prior CPO vehicle. So I definitely want to get it taken care of now, if I can just get the dealership to hear what I'm hearing.

Old 07-31-2021 | 08:43 PM
|

Originally Posted by DJS
I believe the ‘16 uses engine vacuum (rather than the electric vacuum pump mine has) to open the exhaust valves. Maybe a vacuum leak?
It's possible. I just can't get the dealership to do any investigation when they can't hear the problem. :/ I don't know how else to test for a vacuum leak, either, unfortunately.

Old 08-01-2021 | 08:52 AM

If you hear the squeak on shutoff, it's very possible this is the same thing which happened with mine or very similiar. They said it was the vacuum actuator..

I'd let the service advisor know about the squeak. They'll notice it. Mine didn't question it. You could also ask to bring in the service manager/director.

Old 08-01-2021 | 11:14 AM
|

If you hear the squeak on shutoff, it's very possible this is the same thing which happened with mine or very similiar. They said it was the vacuum actuator..

I'd let the service advisor know about the squeak. They'll notice it. Mine didn't question it. You could also ask to bring in the service manager/director.
YES! I tested that today, with the driver door open - there’s a massive squeak on shutoff! I am so glad you replied - now I have something concrete to take to the dealership for a warranty claim. Thank you so much!

The following users liked this post:
bluejaag (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021 | 11:27 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Interestingly, there's been a thread about something similar on the UK forum - the electronic throttle body could be the culprit? https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewto...&t=5653#p57432

Old 08-01-2021 | 01:19 PM
|

Originally Posted by scm
Interestingly, there's been a thread about something similar on the UK forum - the electronic throttle body could be the culprit? https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewto...&t=5653#p57432
Hm, quite a bit different sound - but I’ll check for that noise as well after turning it off. Thank you!

Old 08-01-2021 | 01:59 PM

Get midpipes and drown it out. Win/win.

Old 08-07-2021 | 10:23 PM
|

Sound familiar? 😂

Old 08-08-2021 | 09:19 AM

That's the one!

Old 08-18-2021 | 05:15 PM
|

Update for anyone else that may come across this issue - exhaust system replaced by the dealership under warranty - same as bluejaag above. Happy to know I'm not crazy.

Old 09-08-2021 | 02:34 PM
|

Update #2: The flutter/whistle (what I've heard now described as crickets or cicadas) is still present, although the squeak/clunk on shutoff is gone.

Back to the dealer she goes.

Old 09-08-2021 | 07:45 PM

Oh no, I hope they can fix it you for you!

Old 09-17-2021 | 01:39 PM
|

I've since compiled a list of videos for the dealership ( https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7g3rTxcnABLE6x) which shows the noise, and despite having the car for 5 days, they maintain that they can't recreate the sound, and have given my car back. Said they "adjusted something in the exhaust" to try to help. When I insisted on details on what was adjusted, they eventually said the tech adjusted the exhaust hangers. Good lord.

I also have a stutter/stumble on throttle application from a dead stop before it catches 1st gear, which they first said they couldn't recreate but then when I showed them the TSB they applied the fix. It didn't fix the problem at all, so I'm not sure what help that even was.

Anyway, I took it to a friend's house who has a lift, and I was able to pinpoint the noise to the electric vacuum pump behind the left rear wheel. It doesn't change regardless if the active exhaust button is pressed, and doesn't change if dynamic mode is activated. Oddly, with it on the lift and in Park, switching the Active Exhaust button on and off made no change in any exhaust sound whatsoever. The Dynamic Mode toggle, however, clearly opened and closed valves. I suppose the Active Exhaust button is set to only work when the car's moving/when RPM's are higher than a set point?

Going to try pulling Fuse 43 and see if that has any effect - I suspect that it won't, but now I'm just at the process of elimination.

Just kinda updating here to keep my thoughts together, and in case anyone else struggles with a similar issue.

Old 09-17-2021 | 04:20 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jlewis10
... with it on the lift and in Park, switching the Active Exhaust button on and off made no change in any exhaust sound whatsoever. The Dynamic Mode toggle, however, clearly opened and closed valves. I suppose the Active Exhaust button is set to only work when the car's moving/when RPM's are higher than a set point?
Yeah, it seems to depend on the MY. On my MY18 in dynamic the valves are open all the time, but in non-dynamic with the switch on the valves don't open until 1500 rpm. The difference is very audible at tickover. I think newer MYs open the valves all the time on the switch, but maybe it's also model specific as well as MY specific.