F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 05:59 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting...my '18 R convertible is just as loud as my '16 R coupe was (actually seems louder because of the convertible top even when up).

Old 07-28-2019, 01:45 PM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Hey everyone,

Just thought I’d give a little more info on the 2019 issue that some will unfortunately encounter.

Basically in 2019, Jaguar started using a Bosch Flexray MED17.8.32 ecu for the F-Type. Previous to some date for 2019 F-Type model year, Jaguar was using MED17.8.31 (which is non flexray). The non flexray ecu came in play around 2013 and ran on every 3.0/5.0 JLR till 2017.5, at that date is when LR started using MED17.8.32 Flexray.

The F-Type ended up being the last 3.0/5.0 JLR model to not fully adopt into this flexray ecu. Most of the JLR vehicles had fitted the flexray ecu by 2019 model. So you will find 2019 model year F-Type’s with either a MED17.8.31(non-flexray) and/or MED17.8.32(flexray). I’ve gathered a large amount of VINs to know which JLR model is flexray, except for F-Type being fresh into this crowd for 2019, I don’t have an exact VIN break yet for them..

For the flexray cars, there’s 2 widely different versions. The early flexray ecu’s commonly found on all JLR 3.0 and LR 5.0 are easy to add in pops and bangs, for the newest release flexray ecu found in 2019 JLR 5.0 has not been fully tested to adopt pops and bangs. It’s not that we won’t be able to make this happen, bluntly it’s just I’ve not had a test mile to get this resolved...(the 3.0 doesn’t seem to have this flexray newer version but I’d imagine it’s just a matter of time)

What makes the matter complicated for the “flexray” cars, there’s no actual protocol to read the file off the ecu through OBD(unlike the previous non flexray MED17.8.31 which could be read). The tool we commonly use for flexray is from CMD, this tool ONLY looks at your ecu calibration number(a function any scan tool/code reader can view), then searches CMD’s server for a matching stock file for me to edit..this is called a “Virtual Read”. Which also means if there’s no matching file in CMD’s server, that car is sadly S.O.L to get tuned over OBD until an available file is posted. The only option at that point (as of current date) is to bench read the file from the ecu via a tool in our shop or at one of our dealers. However if the CMD finds a matching file, that file is encrypted and sent to me for editing. The CMD basically mirrors the dealers SDD2 flash function, which means it can only flash/write the ecu.

I know for some 2019 owners it’s a buzz kill, unfortunately it’s just another day in the tuning world. We’ll get it all resolved, but no eta at the moment.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:22 AM
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I wonder if Jaguar figure out how to block flashing on the MY 19+ models. If so, I’m sure somebody will eventually figure out how to hack into the ECU. Even if the dealer can do it, I’m certain they won’t be willing to do it.
No block on flashing. We can and have flashed multiple 2019's.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (07-29-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 04:11 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's weird that the V8 lost nearly all the crackles and pops as it's not the case for the V6.

I have a German P340 MY20 and while it is a bit quieter on start up and especially idle (due to that damn particulate filter even pressing the exhaust button makes nearly no difference on idle) the soundtrack is nearly the same when you are driving it. It still pops like crazy and you can still extend the pops if you keep tapping the pedal.

I agree that the old V8 was a beast though, you can't really compare the V6 crackles to it.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Falkenhayn
It's weird that the V8 lost nearly all the crackles and pops as it's not the case for the V6.

I have a German P340 MY20 and while it is a bit quieter on start up and especially idle (due to that damn particulate filter even pressing the exhaust button makes nearly no difference on idle) the soundtrack is nearly the same when you are driving it. It still pops like crazy and you can still extend the pops if you keep tapping the pedal.

I agree that the old V8 was a beast though, you can't really compare the V6 crackles to it.
On my car, there is insufficient vacuum to close the valves at idle, so I don’t hear any difference either.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:30 AM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

JLR was actually late to adopt the flexray ecu's into that markets vehicles. I still have 2019 files coming in from our Germany dealer still on MED17.8.31 which is the older ecu with 2017 build dates in coding.

The particle filter fitted to JLR petrol vehicles is something we're curious about, there's no information about it in North America (nor pics). I've checked the North American version of Topix and no information about it, seems like something only being fitted to Euro6d and Euro6d-Temp compliant vehicles in ROW market.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 08-01-2019, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It still pops like crazy and you can still extend the pops if you keep tapping the pedal.
That's what I miss the most on the 19MY - You can't coax anything extra out by tapping the gas...

Old 08-02-2019, 03:26 AM

That's weird, so even when you are above 3000rpm and holding the gear you don't get anything when you are tapping?

Personally I only noticed that you can't do it forever, at least, if you are trying to get the pops in the same gear they will stop eventually, changing gears back and forth helps though.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:52 AM

That's weird, so even when you are above 3000rpm and holding the gear you don't get anything when you are tapping?

Personally I only noticed that you can't do it forever, at least, if you are trying to get the pops in the same gear they will stop eventually, changing gears back and forth helps though.
No - maybe a single "burp" or possibly a "burble", but the explosive backfire = GONE...
And how hard you do it doesn't make any difference - It used to be a light feathering on the gas - but sometimes I've tried it hard enough to induce mild whiplash.. <LOL>

Old 08-04-2019, 02:00 AM

The only thing I'm kind of disappointed of is the quieter start up and the muted idle, you really hear nothing when you stand still, even the button doesn't make a real difference. Was the V6 always much quieter on start up and idle than the V8 or are the EU regulations at fault again?

Old 08-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheJob
No - maybe a single "burp" or possibly a "burble", but the explosive backfire = GONE...
And how hard you do it doesn't make any difference - It used to be a light feathering on the gas - but sometimes I've tried it hard enough to induce mild whiplash.. <LOL>
This isn’t a MY19 problem cause light taps gives me what I consider a machine gun sound very easily , do you have a video of the “ explosive backfire” from the older car? Maybe our definitions are different? Dealer has looked into this?

Old 08-04-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pie944
This isn’t a MY19 problem cause light taps gives me what I consider a machine gun sound very easily , do you have a video of the “ explosive backfire” from the older car? Maybe our definitions are different? Dealer has looked into this?
No video - Never hung out on the tail end of my older cars... LOL

I don't think our definitions are different. It sounds like your car is different than mine... Perhaps it has something to do with some of these having a different tuning protocol per VelocityAP?

And yep - I spoke to the dealer in SC where I bought it from, as well as the local dealer in Indy who confirmed:
I got an answer from my guy in Mahwah. I appears the best we can do with the exhaust feedback is by using the Dynamic/Sport Mode. The fuel necessary for the back-talk apparently got us in Federal Emissions hot water.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:31 PM

Here is a video with a warm start and some revs. In my opinion even with this clip made with my mobile cam you can notice the small damping effect of the OPF:

Old 12-27-2019, 10:51 AM
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberChr1s
Hi all. I have a 2019 F-Type R coupe. I recently upgraded from a 2016 F-Type R. I completely agree with the OP. The noise difference is night and day. The pops and bangs are all but gone. You can't coax any out, and worse still it's just overall a much quieter system. I looked at the parts numbers, and the back box and mid section of the exhaust are the same through 2014-2020, however the cat/particulate filter did change and I am wondering if that has something to do with the noise change, along with the different ECU?

Crucially, has anyone got anywhere with making a 2019 R sound like a 2014-2016 R? I need to fix mine as it's just depressing!

Thanks
The OPF will make a difference for sure. Some of the lack of pops & crackles is due to the the software, some due to the OPF dampening them further. If you chat to our UK dealer David Appleby Engineering they can discuss some of the exhaust/downpipe/tuning options we offer and find a solution that gets your car back where you want it.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 12-27-2019, 04:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ah so the 2019 R does have OPFs?

I'll be sure to drop them a line. I have bought bits from them before. My primary concern is the warranty, but if the 200 cell sports cats don't always throw engine codes I could live with that. I could always swap them out if something went bad. I'm mostly concerned about getting the loud roar back. The pops and bangs are amazing, but that's only going to come from mapping and that scares me should anything go wrong down the line.

Thanks!
If you tell about the 2019, here in Europe its more the MY2020 (L in VIN on 10th place). Because I have the same. Now for the new slot-eye 2021 things could even become worser as they wrote in the description : "Both V8 engine options get a Quiet Start function that keeps the active exhaust valves closed for a more subdued sound until the driver really gets on the throttle." Means that if you open the valves manually, if I understand, they will keep closed as long as you dont have the rpm. Minimum this is not the case on mine.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:51 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleantex
If you tell about the 2019, here in Europe its more the MY2020 (L in VIN on 10th place). Because I have the same. Now for the new slot-eye 2021 things could even become worser as they wrote in the description : "Both V8 engine options get a Quiet Start function that keeps the active exhaust valves closed for a more subdued sound until the driver really gets on the throttle." Means that if you open the valves manually, if I understand, they will keep closed as long as you dont have the rpm. Minimum this is not the case on mine.
I read that as the valves are closed on startup in non-dynamic mode - I don't think you can start in dynamic as it resets every time you shut off the engine. In dynamic I'd expect the valves to be open all the time, as normal.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Can someone help me out here?
I know what a GPF is - Gasoline Particulate Filter - but I have never heard of an OPF and Goggling comes up blank.
What does the O in OPF stand for???????

Old 12-27-2019, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I believe OPF is Otto Particulate Filter and a GPF (Gasoline Particulate Filter) is just another version of one of these.
Thanks, that clears it up for me!
Confirmed by searching under "Otto Particulate Filter".

Old 12-28-2019, 12:00 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OPF/GPF is just german/english for the same. This is the new WLTP norm now obligatory for new cars. The down-side is the sound reduction for the moment as tuners dig in.
But believe me, Golf's and BMW's have much more problems with this issue as BMW dropped M3 as example. The hudge V8 Ford is much less affected and when I push the valve button in idle the difference in loudness is very notable. So I am not so much worried.
That's the bad, but the good is that in the near future all non-WLTP cars risks ban from certain cities and areas. In the case you have such earlier car, you stay owner of scrapped aluminium. For the moment in Europe, but Trump is also not there for ever.
Reading the M21 valve issue, they wrote : "This ensures that the electrically-actuated bypass valves in the rear silencer remain closed until automatically opening under load" So it seems that some springs will not allow the opening under low rpm or idle even if you change mode or press button. To confirm we need a new owner.

Last edited by Cleantex; 12-28-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I don't know if it effects the sound, but if you look at the rear exaust pipes on the early R models, they are larger/more open than the newer models.
This is how my 15 R looks like for comparison:

Quick Reply: Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?