F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 09:13 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You may be pretty right as tuners seems to work on other concerned cars to enlarge the downpipes diameter.
Now. I just made photos from mine MY20. The 2 outer exhausts seems to be larger, you can see the valves.
On the 2 inner exhausts the diameter seems smaller, but the pipes inside looks as if they have the same size.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleantex
You may be pretty right as tuners seems to work on other concerned cars to enlarge the downpipes diameter.
Now. I just made photos from mine MY20. The 2 outer exhausts seems to be larger, you can see the valves.
On the 2 inner exhausts the diameter seems smaller, but the pipes inside looks as if they have the same size.

It's hard from my pics to see further down inside the pipes due to lack of light, but the inside diameter is the same as what is visible in the picture also further in. There are no "extra inside pipes" like the ones in your pictures - on neither of the two pipes.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:35 AM

For my part, I will just follow the evolution of my R. If I will be not satisfied, I will search for upgrade-
But I also want to keep good relations with my neighbours.
I found one german company that offers replacement exhaust, and even remote control for the valves
so that you can chose betweeen different sounds."Wheelsandmore" for locals.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberChr1s
Crucially, has anyone got anywhere with making a 2019 R sound like a 2014-2016 R? I need to fix mine as it's just depressing!
I agree... It's quite disappointing...

Old 01-02-2020, 12:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

For anybody interested I made a little video of my MY20 V6 OPF/GPF:

At least the V6 is still great in my opinion, it's much better than what Audi or Mercedes is doing with newer OPF cars. Though it's a shame that there is no V6 model to order anymore.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Falkenhayn
For anybody interested I made a little video of my MY20 V6 OPF/GPF:

https://youtu.be/9H4i9pTNqZc

At least the V6 is still great in my opinion, it's much better than what Audi or Mercedes is doing with newer OPF cars. Though it's a shame that there is no V6 model to order anymore.
What’s an OPF car?

Old 01-02-2020, 06:14 PM
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

We've got you covered at VelocityAP with similar setup - not sure about that XPipe....

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 01-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Just a question anyway to tell which version of software maybe in my car? 2014 s v8?

Just curious I have a recall for the seat belt and now am afraid that if I bring it back to the dealer they may update the software.

Mine sounds fine. as is nice growl to it with plenty of pops and cracks.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
What’s an OPF car?
I asked the same question a few days ago on a nearby thread.
It stands for Otto Particulate Filter. As in the Otto cycle ICE.
As opposed to Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) which have been fitted to all diesels including Jag diesels for many years now.
OPF also covers the more common term GPF - Gasoline Particulate Filter - it's just that those pesky Brits and Euros don't use the term gasoline so they call it an OPF.
Due to the increasingly OTT Nanny State "pollution" regs many car makers (including JLR) are now fitting OPFs to gasoline/petrol engined cars.
Never mind that there are vanishingly small levels of particulates in modern petrol engines these days (unlike diesels which are chocko with particulates).
Particulates = soot, very small specks of carbon.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We've got you covered at VelocityAP with similar setup - not sure about that XPipe....

Unfortunately in our corner in Europe, you will loose homologation if the parts are not stamped as CE conform, so import becomes difficult.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:35 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Unfortunately in our corner in Europe, you will loose homologation if the parts are not stamped as CE conform, so import becomes difficult.
Is noise is now responsible for climate change?

Old 01-03-2020, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by RacerX
Is noise is now responsible for climate change?
I think it is not a notion of noise, just of EU part homologation. My former SLK was heavily modified, new and lowered suspension, motor power and also new exhaust. So I needed repass through the homologation procedure and it was running as modified car, with all papers needed onboard. That's the problem and here over it was always more complicated. In the climate discussion at the moment, noise is not really a factor. But it is unfortunately a consequence of introduction of the gasoil catalysator that restricts the exhaust pressure.
Now, what I can also not understand that the effect should be bigger for V8 compared to V6. I really for the moment didnt pushed rpm high, as it is a new car and without proper running-in. Time will show.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:18 AM

Just got confirmation from the F-Type product team. European MY2019 F-Types do have OPF/GPFs and thus are significantly quieter. I asked for some part numbers/diagrams but i'll try and stick my head under the car and see where they are fitted. Interestingly, when the car does pop and bang, they are as loud as they were before, which is not what I would have expected. The question is, what would fitting a Velocity AP back box do to the sound? What I don't want to do is just amplify the muffled sound. Could we remove the OPF (risks invalidating insurance and is also illegal)?

Thoughts?
As I understand, the F-Type was having 2 catalytic condensers before. The trick is that the OFP or GFP seems to be integrated into the existing system to form a 4way catalyst, but I am not sure. So exchanging it to a version before would never be found out, as there is no tool at technical control to count particles. So, I suppose changing the existing exhaust with a new one and sport catalyst (suppose they have no GPF inside) will do the job. But this will be my last option.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:26 AM

You should pull fuse 15 so the valves are completely open in Dynamic. It will significantly increase sound on lower rpm for OPF models, at least on the V6.

Last edited by Falkenhayn; 01-08-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:48 PM

You are absolutely correct. F43 doesn't exist on the MY2019+. There is (I think) F15, which if removed will cause the car to enter limp mode. When re-inserted, it'll return to normal operation. As for the drone, I used to drive my MY2016 with the valves open all the time. I didn't get any real drone in the cabin. Cruising at motorway speeds was as quiet as valves closed.
As I said it's F15 on newer models and the car won't enter limp mode or give you any error, only the ECU will probably remember it. I can confirm this as I tested it myself. When you put the fuse back everything works as usual too.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:27 AM

No problem mate, it sometimes happens to me too when I'm on my phone.

I can't imagine that the old V6 model is significantly louder with the fuse pulled on the OPF model. It has a lot to do with the software that closes the valves in more situations even when the button is on because of stricter laws. That's why it makes more of a difference when pulling the fuse on newer models. If I remove the trunk cover on my V6 Coupe it hurts my ears because of the volume (even though it's awesome anyway) when pushing the throttle hard.

I don't know much about the V8 though, the first models were definitely the loudest and I remember that the first SVR had about 112db written in the vehicle registration which is extremely loud and one of the loudest stock cars ever. Nowadays they have "only" 96db, but the sound character is still awesome.

Last edited by Falkenhayn; 01-09-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:14 AM

The text in the EU conformity letter of my car is this, but I suppose it was mesured with closed valves.

in german because I bought it there, but the structure is the same for the whole EU. Interesting,
they need minimum one swiss keyboard in Jaguar administration as it seems that they cannot
deal with special characters.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
Hey everyone,

Just thought I’d give a little more info on the 2019 issue that some will unfortunately encounter.

Basically in 2019, Jaguar started using a Bosch Flexray MED17.8.32 ecu for the F-Type. Previous to some date for 2019 F-Type model year, Jaguar was using MED17.8.31 (which is non flexray). The non flexray ecu came in play around 2013 and ran on every 3.0/5.0 JLR till 2017.5, at that date is when LR started using MED17.8.32 Flexray.

The F-Type ended up being the last 3.0/5.0 JLR model to not fully adopt into this flexray ecu. Most of the JLR vehicles had fitted the flexray ecu by 2019 model. So you will find 2019 model year F-Type’s with either a MED17.8.31(non-flexray) and/or MED17.8.32(flexray). I’ve gathered a large amount of VINs to know which JLR model is flexray, except for F-Type being fresh into this crowd for 2019, I don’t have an exact VIN break yet for them..

For the flexray cars, there’s 2 widely different versions. The early flexray ecu’s commonly found on all JLR 3.0 and LR 5.0 are easy to add in pops and bangs, for the newest release flexray ecu found in 2019 JLR 5.0 has not been fully tested to adopt pops and bangs. It’s not that we won’t be able to make this happen, bluntly it’s just I’ve not had a test mile to get this resolved...(the 3.0 doesn’t seem to have this flexray newer version but I’d imagine it’s just a matter of time)

What makes the matter complicated for the “flexray” cars, there’s no actual protocol to read the file off the ecu through OBD(unlike the previous non flexray MED17.8.31 which could be read). The tool we commonly use for flexray is from CMD, this tool ONLY looks at your ecu calibration number(a function any scan tool/code reader can view), then searches CMD’s server for a matching stock file for me to edit..this is called a “Virtual Read”. Which also means if there’s no matching file in CMD’s server, that car is sadly S.O.L to get tuned over OBD until an available file is posted. The only option at that point (as of current date) is to bench read the file from the ecu via a tool in our shop or at one of our dealers. However if the CMD finds a matching file, that file is encrypted and sent to me for editing. The CMD basically mirrors the dealers SDD2 flash function, which means it can only flash/write the ecu.

I know for some 2019 owners it’s a buzz kill, unfortunately it’s just another day in the tuning world. We’ll get it all resolved, but no eta at the moment.
I made today an ECU scan and wanted to find out your riddle about the Bosch Flexray MED17.8.31 or MED17.8.32.
But I cannot find it in the data's. A lack of scanning tool or some missing definition ? Is this mentioned on the label of the box ?

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:59 PM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

I made today an ECU scan and wanted to find out your riddle about the Bosch Flexray MED17.8.31 or MED17.8.32.
But I cannot find it in the data's. A lack of scanning tool or some missing definition ? Is this mentioned on the label of the box ?

Thanks.
Not sure, normally the calibration#, delivery assembly# and ecu assembly number are much different. Regardless of the screenshot, I can only assume that's not your engine ecu.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 01-09-2020, 01:08 PM

It's pretty mine, even when my wife think....
But I payed for it.
I have already seen on other places this JX53-14... so it seems still to be an .31, but with the rabbit style procreation in Jaguar factory,
I dont know.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?