F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 01:25 PM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

14C570 is 32 and 14C204 is 31

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 01-15-2020, 04:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I found perhaps the explication as some cars from the 18-19 production years seem to be more quiet.
https://car-recalls.eu/recall/jaguar-f-type-2018-2019/

Somebody dont like the F-Type noise.
I suppose for some cars there was a software update made, and for some other not.
Just necessary to control with maintenance.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:53 AM

It's exactly the number what I have, so I will look :

Old 01-15-2020, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleantex
I found perhaps the explication as some cars from the 18-19 production years seem to be more quiet.
https://car-recalls.eu/recall/jaguar-f-type-2018-2019/

Somebody dont like the F-Type noise.
I suppose for some cars there was a software update made, and for some other not.
Just necessary to control with maintenance.
Follow the links to the actual recall notice (a PDF) and you will find it is the AJ126 V6 only (same as the Oz recall), so V8s and I4s not effected.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:34 PM

Yes, you are right and this also explicate that they dont sell the V6 in Europe anymore.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:49 AM

For the moment difficult to find informations about the Jaguar GPF.
It should be something like this, with the pink part beeing the GPF.

Is Jaguar's Growler moving to become a Pink Panther ?

Old 01-21-2020, 11:29 AM

@CyberChr1s Your old catalysts is SULEV30 compliant while the newer catalysts is ULEV125. There's actually 3 different catalysts versions for F-Type in NAS region. Up till 2015 (SULEV30 that had to meet LEV2 standards) / 2015 to 2019 (SULEV30 to meet LEV2 standards but are somehow different than pre2015 internally)/ 2019+ (ULEV125)....and most likely in 2021 another version will be created and run till 2025, which will meet a new requirement till 2028. It's the standards set in place by Federal and CARB, link to info on emissions standards: https://www.transportpolicy.net/stan...uty-emissions/

Nonetheless, anyone with an NAS region F-Type after VIN K58713 will need to have ULEV125 compliant catalysts for a higher particulate matter meeting LEV3 standards.

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 01-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
@CyberChr1s Your old catalysts is SULEV30 compliant while the newer catalysts is ULEV125. There's actually 3 different catalysts versions for F-Type in NAS region. Up till 2015 (SULEV30 that had to meet LEV2 standards) / 2015 to 2019 (SULEV30 to meet LEV2 standards but are somehow different than pre2015 internally)/ 2019+ (ULEV125)....and most likely in 2021 another version will be created and run till 2025, which will meet a new requirement till 2028. It's the standards set in place by Federal and CARB, link to info on emissions standards: https://www.transportpolicy.net/stan...uty-emissions/

Nonetheless, anyone with an NAS region F-Type after VIN K58713 will need to have ULEV125 compliant catalysts for a higher particulate matter meeting LEV3 standards.
Bloody hell, those LEV III standards must surely be a sick joke!
Now 3 milligrams per mile of particulates dropping to 1 milligram per mile in 2025.
I doubt many people would realise just what a weeny weeny tiny amount 1 milligram is.
My main question is how will the GPF/OPF or whatever it is called be cleaned/emptied over time? Or will it need to be completely renewed similar to an oil or air filter? I somehow suspect the latter, so at what time/mileage and at what expense?
On all diesel Jags and many other makes the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is quite a big bulky thing, way bigger than a normal cat, and it needs to "regenerate" very regularly otherwise it clogs up with soot (particulates). Regeneration involves burning the trapped soot in place turning it into ash, and it's done (at least in Jags) using diesel fuel injected on the exhaust stroke which then burns in the DPF. Many many reports of incomplete DPF regens causing all sorts of problems, even as far as excess fuel in the oil burning and completely destroying the engine. And even if the regen process works perfectly the DPF eventually clogs with ash and either needs to be removed from the car and professionally cleaned or renewed.
If JLR are using or will be using GPFs similar to that shown in the diagram posted by Cleantex, where supposedly the GPF is integrated into the cat, how in the hell is it cleaned???? You can't burn the soot off like in a diesel DPF if it's right up against the cat!
The good news is that the particulate level in gas/petrol is a small fraction of that in diesel so in theory it should take a very long time to clog the GPF, at least compared to a DPF.
Conversely, a standard of 1 milligram per mile means that 99.9% of the particulates must be filtered out, and the only way I can see that happening is with specially made fuel/gas = more expense for the driver.
The more I think about it the more I believe these new GPFs will be very expensive "fit a new one" service items.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Bloody hell, those LEV III standards must surely be a sick joke!
Now 3 milligrams per mile of particulates dropping to 1 milligram per mile in 2025.
I doubt many people would realise just what a weeny weeny tiny amount 1 milligram is.
My main question is how will the GPF/OPF or whatever it is called be cleaned/emptied over time? Or will it need to be completely renewed similar to an oil or air filter? I somehow suspect the latter, so at what time/mileage and at what expense?
On all diesel Jags and many other makes the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is quite a big bulky thing, way bigger than a normal cat, and it needs to "regenerate" very regularly otherwise it clogs up with soot (particulates). Regeneration involves burning the trapped soot in place turning it into ash, and it's done (at least in Jags) using diesel fuel injected on the exhaust stroke which then burns in the DPF. Many many reports of incomplete DPF regens causing all sorts of problems, even as far as excess fuel in the oil burning and completely destroying the engine. And even if the regen process works perfectly the DPF eventually clogs with ash and either needs to be removed from the car and professionally cleaned or renewed.
If JLR are using or will be using GPFs similar to that shown in the diagram posted by Cleantex, where supposedly the GPF is integrated into the cat, how in the hell is it cleaned???? You can't burn the soot off like in a diesel DPF if it's right up against the cat!
The good news is that the particulate level in gas/petrol is a small fraction of that in diesel so in theory it should take a very long time to clog the GPF, at least compared to a DPF.
Conversely, a standard of 1 milligram per mile means that 99.9% of the particulates must be filtered out, and the only way I can see that happening is with specially made fuel/gas = more expense for the driver.
The more I think about it the more I believe these new GPFs will be very expensive "fit a new one" service items.
It's new to us as well, not fully aware of how JLR is doing this, I've reached out to my dealer connections and being all NAS trained, they've not even heard of the GPF yet. However, for EU6d compliant regions run GPF on F-Type, believe it's also monitored for EU6d..assuming that's why ROW forum members complain those vehicles are deadly silent.

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 01-21-2020, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by CyberChr1s
So I’m in the UK. I can’t stress enough how quiet it is compared to the MY2016 R I recently traded. However, it’s my understanding that the GPF isn’t detectable on the euro emissions check short of a visual inspection. Assuming that is true, do we have any idea if the old cats and downpipe would line up the remainder of the exhaust system and whether that would work?
The intermediate pipe is the for all V8 F-Types..so in theory any downpipes should fit providing it's for the same drivetrain (AWD vs RWD)
Btw, if you after VIN K67844, you also have a different muffler than previous F-Type models, to make quieter.
T2R24117 is not monitored and same like NAS markets, in UK they are still EU6 compliant for that part but not monitored like the EU6d compliant versions after VIN K69156.

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 01-21-2020, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

So I’m in the UK. I can’t stress enough how quiet it is compared to the MY2016 R I recently traded. However, it’s my understanding that the GPF isn’t detectable on the euro emissions check short of a visual inspection. Assuming that is true, do we have any idea if the old cats and downpipe would line up the remainder of the exhaust system and whether that would work?
I would guess that a Euro emissions check would measure the amount of particulates coming out of the tail pipe(s) and I'm fairly sure that's what it already does for diesel cars.
I've also read that it's an automatic MOT fail if the particulates reading is too high and/or removing/gutting/fiddling with the DPF is detected, so maybe the same does/will apply to the GPF. Although from my reading the MOT is very slow to catch up to modern technology and changes.
Maybe you can be a pioneer (guinea pig) and test your theory - fit an older version downpipe and cat and take the car for a MOT!

Old 01-21-2020, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
The intermediate pipe is the for all V8 F-Types..so in theory any downpipes should fit providing it's for the same drivetrain (AWD vs RWD)
Btw, if you after VIN K67844, you also have a different muffler than previous F-Type models, to make quieter.
T2R24117 is not monitored and same like NAS markets, in UK they are still EU6 compliant for that part but not monitored like the EU6d compliant versions after VIN K69156.
Thank you,
I am K64529, your words made some warm feelings around my heart.
It's a game of drones.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:33 AM

As I have no possibility to lift my car, I was shooting some photos with endoscope. This car sits so low, no chance otherway. So quality not really good,
but it seems that it is pretty the same cats as on the photos from Chris. XB430 and so on. There is still a paper glueing on it that hide some letters.

Last edited by Cleantex; 01-23-2020 at 06:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CyberChr1s (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 09:26 AM

I didn't think they actually measured particulates during the test, only the physical examination for it's presence and whether it had been tampered with. Any MOT testers able to confirm this? I think the way a car determines it was missing/has an issue was with a pressure sensor.
Anyway I dont think that it is possible to have in the car some laboratory to count nano-particules. I think even such thing they can just make at the homologation of the car with special equipement. The later sensor, I guess just look if the gpf ist obstruated and in the case ask for burn-out. The burn-out is no special operation as the normal exhaust temperature in gasoil engines should be enough, opposite to diesel engines. Just some fast ride. I also dont think that in countries (like mine) with periodical control, they could test this.

Last edited by Cleantex; 01-23-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:12 PM

When you say monitored, do you mean by the car or by dealerships/testers?
..by the engine ecu in the car

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 01-25-2020, 06:08 AM

There may appear a few problems, not depending from the technical point.
So, i learned that the code is milled inside the metallic case of the cat's. This mean that the control instancies just need to know the
code of the catalyst with no need to mesure and may see directly if you cheated.
Other story is about the ECU. I can imagine that all coming software updates will control the VIN of the car, because in an gpf filter
case, the exhaust pressure must be higher as the pressure without it. So you may have an error just because of the pressure difference.
And I suppose that this data's are written in a rom and not changeable ? Or there are different software versions from one MY to another
and followed over the years ?
Thanks for your job on testing this.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:23 PM

I read the number off my MY2019 ECU today. its "HPLA-14C568-TB". What does this mean for me mapping (for pops and bangs)
That's the ecu part number, I would need the calibration number of that ecu. So if you have a 19MY F-Type, would be something like KX53-14C570-???

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 02-05-2020, 04:59 AM

Hi Chris,
If you look a few pages before you find the OBD2 scan of the ECU that I was making from my car. I expect that they are not very far from your numbers, as the serials of the cars are also about the same manufactering time. You will need an OBD2 scanner to read. I think that they moved to a new kind of ECU's on the 2019 model. In 2018 they announced cooperation with Blackberry. As I was not able to look on the box of my car, I suppose that it is still Bosch ?

Old 02-05-2020, 11:35 AM

is that on a sticker or something that would physically need to be read from the ECU?
No, changes every time dealer flashes engine module with an updated version. The hardware number is in ecu code along with white sticker on ecu. The calibration number is only in the software coding, which can be read by a scan tool

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following users liked this post:
CyberChr1s (02-06-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cleantex
Hi Chris,
If you look a few pages before you find the OBD2 scan of the ECU that I was making from my car. I expect that they are not very far from your numbers, as the serials of the cars are also about the same manufactering time. You will need an OBD2 scanner to read. I think that they moved to a new kind of ECU's on the 2019 model. In 2018 they announced cooperation with Blackberry. As I was not able to look on the box of my car, I suppose that it is still Bosch ?
I responded to this already in post #127 concerning your ecu read readout.
Yes newer style of ecu is still Bosch but flexray communication, which is why older canbus protocols will not communicate with this newer style ecu. JLR actually started using the flexray ecu in 17MY for some models.

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Quick Reply: Exhaust Lacking on 2019 F-Type R Convertible! Any help?