Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts
Default Exhaust Sound

Not having had the superloud version of the F-Type, I am quite satisfied with the sound of my 2021 R-Dynamic.
But, I am bit baffled by the exhaust button on the center console.
I had originally assumed that depressing the button to the lighted position activated the louder exhaust sound.
Bt it is really hard to distinguish much difference in sound level between the switch positions.
If anything perhaps the exhaust is marginally sweeter with button in "off" position (not depressed or lighted).
I would apprceiate comments from other owners with same R-Dynamic set-up.

Old 11-09-2021, 04:58 PM
Received 109 Likes on 45 Posts

I've got a V8 (450hp) model rather than the V6 you have, but the switch definitely adds some more noise even to my slightly deaf ears. It's most noticable above 3000rpm, but even below that there's definitely a little extra there. Then of course it all changes if you're in Dynamic, rather than Normal, mode but the takeaway for me is that the button does change the note - I can hear it even at idle, switching between the two exhaust modes via the button.

I've edited down a slightly longer video I recorded, not long after I bought the car, in which you can hear the changes at idle - you can hear the exhaust valve itself clicking when the note changes. It starts in normal mode, I press the exhaust button in-car to engage the louder mode, switch back to normal and then back to 'loud'

Old 11-09-2021, 04:58 PM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Not having had the superloud version of the F-Type, I am quite satisfied with the sound of my 2021 R-Dynamic.
But, I am bit baffled by the exhaust button on the center console.
I had originally assumed that depressing the button to the lighted position activated the louder exhaust sound.
Bt it is really hard to distinguish much difference in sound level between the switch positions.
If anything perhaps the exhaust is marginally sweeter with button in "off" position (not depressed or lighted).
I would apprceiate comments from other owners with same R-Dynamic set-up.
Good evening CJSJAG,

I own a '22 Type R, so I don't have direct experience with the R-Dynamic, but I can give my experience. When I first took delivery, I will say I was "underwhelmed" by the exhaust sound. Everything that led me to buying an F-Type at the outset was derived from the snap, crackle, and pop, growl, and throaty resonance symphony. WIth the "active exhaust" button "on" ("lit"), I found that I woudl experience some of what I was listening for, but really only at higher RPMs and in sport/dynamic mode. HOWEVER, that all changed when I read the forum post on this forum pertaining to "FUSE #15". Assuming it is the same on the R-dynamic-----Pull that and it will change your life...it has mine. Cheers! Give us an update.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

At least on an older 6S, the switch makes a distinct difference - the difference between a sweet sewing machine and a growling cat.
(Although, it practice, the switch is programmed with the Smart Top to stay on.)

Old 11-10-2021, 09:46 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

On my 2021 R Model the exhaust sound has changed as I have put miles on the car. Now at about 2200 miles, I am getting more pops and bangs and burbles when I accelerate and then let off the gas while having the transmission in the manual mode and with the console exhaust switch on or in Dynamic mode. I can't really say it is getting louder than when I got it in the same modes, but it is adding "character" to the sound.

I tried pulling Fuse # 15 and that does make it louder 100% of the time plus changes the response; it starts to really growl at about 2100 RPM instead of 3200 RPM and also the pops and bangs will occur at throttle let-off at closer to about 2200 RPMs.

But I'm not sure that I want that all the time. I am playing with a design and installation of a simple rocker switch to be mounted under the dash that basically opens or closes the circuit that Fuse # 15 is plugged into, when open it is like the fuse is out and when closed the circuit is still protected by the 5 Amp fuse and works the same as the factory function. The problem I am having is finding a fuse tap that will fit in the position 15 fuse block, and also once inserted be low enough that the lid to the fuse box will close. I have one on order from Amazon that looks promising and if it works I'll post some photos and the diagram.

I considered Jag Bass' design that uses a relay under the hood and is switched by a fob or programmed with an unused Homelink button but I have some concerns with weather and heat resistance so am trying to come up with an under the dash rocker switch and keeping all of the under hood connections as weatherproof as possible.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure I was told the active exhaust & dynamic would need about 2,000 miles to get to that rich tone. I know for sure there was a certain mileage/engine “warm-up” that needed some time. AND I absolutely remember when that happened! The other thing, have someone else start up the car & rev the engine. You cannot hear it as well as a driver. Or, as I did, have someone follow you & video - definitely a different sound!

Old 11-12-2021, 04:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove 4000 miles on my MY21 R, the exhaust difference from when I first got the car was minimal.

Then I came back to this forum after 6 month and then everyone talks about the Fuse 15, I remove it and BANG - AWESOME exhaust sound!

Old 11-13-2021, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

Does anyone know for sure what circuits fuse 15 protects?
Is it limited to just the exhaust valve?
Also, what are the likely consequences of having the valve remain open continuously for an extended period (months/years)?
Is it going to compromise the cat converter, or cause other damage?

Old 11-13-2021, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

So, I just pulled F15. I was surprised to find that F15 is rated 25A .
I ran the RPM up in the garage but did not really notice any change in the exhaust tone.
I'll try it on the road later, but still a bit nervous about what else F15 does and any long term consequences of removing it.

Old 11-13-2021, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

F15 does nothing for the exhaust sound on my car
Is there a difference between the R-Dynamic and R fuses?

I removed the fuse and drove a couple of miles.
Exhust tone/volume change was quieter, if anything, though very subjective.
Re-installed F15, tone seemed better.

Seems F15 unrelated to exhaust valve on R-Dynamic.

However, strangely enough, removing/reiinstalling F15 has at least temporarily resolved my problem with BSM and reverse cross traffic monitoring.
I am not betting on the problem being properly resolved. Replacement sensor is on order. Go figure!!

Old 11-13-2021, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

OK - I feel pretty stupid!!

I did not think that there would in fact be 3 Fuse15's, one in each fuse compartment.
The 25A fuse circuit in the trunk operates the (non-existent, in the vert) powered tailgate, plus who knows what else.
Will try again with F15 from engine compartment.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:23 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Also, what are the likely consequences of having the valve remain open continuously for an extended period (months/years)?
You might risk having it seize open if it doesn't get exercised very often.

Old 11-13-2021, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

OK - F15 (engine compartment ) removed.
Unlike the trunk fuse box, this box had no position numbers - needed to read off F15 from handbook.

The sound is definitely louder now.
Not much in the way of pops - more a deeper growl.

The exhaust button flashes a few times and does not stay illuminated when depressed.
Presumaby because the circuit is open.

So, my questtion is why is the sound better with F15 removed vs simply depressing the exhaust button?
Are they not intended to do the same thing -ie open the exhaust valve?

Old 11-13-2021, 04:55 PM
scm
Veteran Member

So, my questtion is why is the sound better with F15 removed vs simply depressing the exhaust button?
Are they not intended to do the same thing -ie open the exhaust valve?
The behaviour of the button varies with the MY - in my MY18 pressing the button in non-dynamic mode causes the valves to open at 1500 rpm, whereas in dynamic mode the valves are open at tickover. Other MYs open the valves at tickover on the button - "it depends".

Old 11-14-2021, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks scm. I do not usually drive in the "sport" dynamic mode except when I want a real power surge, then usually only for short periods.
Probably why the button has not seemed to contriibute much to my exhaust sound.

Old 11-14-2021, 12:09 PM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

CJSJAG, my observations after pulling fuse # 15 from my post on 10/17/21 below:

I pulled fuse # 15 and went for about a 20 mile drive down the winding highway. It is without a doubt much louder. And louder than when in the standard drive mode with the valves open via the button on the console. With the fuse out, if you press the console button it blinks a few times, probably to show a fault, and then the light goes out. I had the transmission in the Sport mode and was using the paddle shifters. It was not however in Dynamic mode.

It started to roar at about 2000 RPM instead of the usual 3500 RPM and I was getting crackles and pops as low as about 2200-2300 RPM when letting off the gas. It was fun, but I'm not sure that I'll leave the fuse out. I'll need to make a short freeway run too and see if it is unbearable. Too bad the console switch doesn't get the exact same effect as pulling the fuse. DJS has a good idea with a relay but I don't want to go to that effort while the car is still under warranty.

But did I mention that it was fun ????

Old 11-14-2021, 02:48 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Why does nobody test the F15 absence in dynamic mode? Does it make any difference?

Old 11-14-2021, 06:35 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Why does nobody test the F15 absence in dynamic mode? Does it make any difference?
Mine does. F15 pulled means the exhaust is louder at all RPMs. With the fuse in and in Dynamic mode, the valves want to open around 2500 RPM (vs 4000 for non-Dynamic mode). With the fuse out, they're open all the time so even from the 1000-2500 range I'm hearing more volume. I have non-switchable active exhaust so mine may be different from someone with switchable.

Old 11-15-2021, 04:11 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
Mine does. F15 pulled means the exhaust is louder at all RPMs. With the fuse in and in Dynamic mode, the valves want to open around 2500 RPM (vs 4000 for non-Dynamic mode). With the fuse out, they're open all the time so even from the 1000-2500 range I'm hearing more volume. I have non-switchable active exhaust so mine may be different from someone with switchable.
Interesting. Do you have configurable dynamics? I'm wondering if any of the settings have been set to "Normal" (or "Comfort") instead of "Dynamic" that might affect the valve opening.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:53 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Interesting. Do you have configurable dynamics? I'm wondering if any of the settings have been set to "Normal" (or "Comfort") instead of "Dynamic" that might affect the valve opening.
No configurable dynamics. Mine is a V6 Base.