F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust stuck in quiet mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 06:09 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Exhaust stuck in quiet mode?

Does any one have problem with the active exhaust? Mine seems to get stuck in quite mode every time after I floor it and reach red line. It will stay stuck until I restart the car, which is VERY annoying and not always possible. And it will occur again the next time I floor it.

Flooring it or revving it high while it is stuck will still get the valves to open, but it will go back to quite mode in the 1k to 4k rpm range.

Pressing the exhaust button or toggle off and on dynamic mode does not help. The only fix is to restart the car.

The mechanism seems to work fine otherwise, turning it on or selecting dynamic mode noticeably increase volume both at idle and drive, until it gets stuck that's it.

Another weird quirk I just found today, I turned on active exhaust in normal mode, I heard the valves opening (or closing?) every time I came to a stop (it was stop and go traffic). Is this normal behavior?

Finally 2 unrelated questions, making a left u turn and give it a little gas(just enough to get it going instead of rolling), the left tire seems to skip a beat that can be feel through the steering wheel, which does not happen when turning right. Should I be concerned? The steering return to center force is also not stellar. I'm hoping it's just an out of spec alignment and/or the snow tires, instead of steering rack issue car drives otherwise very straight on flat surface. I will get the alignment checked when fitting new wheels and tires come the spring.

2nd question is the back up camera guide line, it is off by a good margin to the right, when it lines up with the curb, the front is actually tilted to the right by about 10degrees, resulting in a less than stellar park job. I have now gotten used to it and compensate accordingly. Wonder what's going on.

​​​​​
Edit: oh I forgot one last question, does the 2015 play Spotify/YouTube music over USB connection? Can't seem to get it working.

Last edited by Ray Ray; 02-23-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:34 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
Does any one have problem with the active exhaust? Mine seems to get stuck in quite mode every time after I floor it and reach red line. It will stay stuck until I restart the car, which is VERY annoying and not always possible. And it will occur again the next time I floor it.

Flooring it or revving it high while it is stuck will still get the valves to open, but it will go back to quite mode in the 1k to 4k rpm range.

Pressing the exhaust button or toggle off and on dynamic mode does not help. The only fix is to restart the car.

The mechanism seems to work fine otherwise, turning it on or selecting dynamic mode noticeably increase volume both at idle and drive, until it gets stuck that's it.

Another weird quirk I just found today, I turned on active exhaust in normal mode, I heard the valves opening (or closing?) every time I came to a stop (it was stop and go traffic). Is this normal behavior?

Finally 2 unrelated questions, making a left u turn and give it a little gas(just enough to get it going instead of rolling), the left tire seems to skip a beat that can be feel through the steering wheel, which does not happen when turning right. Should I be concerned? The steering return to center force is also not stellar. I'm hoping it's just an out of spec alignment and/or the snow tires, instead of steering rack issue car drives otherwise very straight on flat surface. I will get the alignment checked when fitting new wheels and tires come the spring.

2nd question is the back up camera guide line, it is off by a good margin to the right, when it lines up with the curb, the front is actually tilted to the right by about 10degrees, resulting in a less than stellar park job. I have now gotten used to it and compensate accordingly. Wonder what's going on.

​​​​​
Edit: oh I forgot one last question, does the 2015 play Spotify/YouTube music over USB connection? Can't seem to get it working.
I have seen posts about the valves sticking, making noise, or vacuum line leaks. Vacuum lines are generally an easy DIY test with a vacuum gauge.

Another option is to pull Fuse 43. Pulling Fuse 43 disables the valves in the full loud/open poistion so they no longer move. Full loud is slightly louder than when loud mode is switched on. The light on the button will still turn on and off but have no effect. It is in the passenger footwell under the removable floor board. The original fuse puller is on the side of the open fuse box or you can use needle nose pliers.

Personally I think the car can be driven very quietly in full loud mode by up-shifting earlier and decelerating in a higher gear or by driving in D. In fact, I think the car is usually way too quiet in loud mode. So there, Jaguar.

Last edited by RacerX; 02-23-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by RacerX
I have seen posts about the valves sticking, making noise, or vacuum line leaks. Vacuum lines are generally an easy DIY test with a vacuum gauge.

Another option is to pull Fuse 43. Pulling Fuse 43 disables the valves in the full loud/open poistion so they no longer move. Full loud is slightly louder than when loud mode is switched on. The light on the button will still turn on and off but have no effect. It is in the passenger footwell under the removable floor board. The original fuse puller is on the side of the open fuse box or you can use needle nose pliers.

Personally I think the car can be driven very quietly in full loud mode by up-shifting earlier and decelerating in a higher gear or by driving in D. In fact, I think the car is usually way too quiet in loud mode. So there, Jaguar.
Pulling the fuse sounds perfect, there's no instance where I wanted it to be quite. The fuse puller is located in the driver side fuse box, is that what you mean by open fuse box?

Old 02-23-2020, 11:42 PM
Banned

Pulling the fuse sounds perfect, there's no instance where I wanted it to be quite. The fuse puller is located in the driver side fuse box, is that what you mean by open fuse box?
In my left-hand drive car, Fuse 43 is under a removable panel under the passenger's feet. Once the panel is removed there is a fuse puller in the upper left part of the fuse box. The fuses are numbered, remove fuse 43. Done.

The car should be slightly louder as even selecting loud mode doesn't fully open the valves.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:59 AM
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Or pull the 2 vacuum lines off the rear silencer.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:03 PM

I found the passenger side panel, it doesn't seem to come off though, is it secured by tabs, or just brute force it from the top?

Old 02-24-2020, 02:19 PM
Banned

I found the passenger side panel, it doesn't seem to come off though, is it secured by tabs, or just brute force it from the top?
It just pulls straight up away from the floor.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:14 PM

It just pulls straight up away from the floor.
I tried again, it doesn't budge, I could stick my business card inside the crease but it doesn't move. For reference I attached a pic, pu

l
​​​​​​from the area above the key, right?

Old 02-24-2020, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I tried again, it doesn't budge, I could stick my business card inside the crease but it doesn't move. For reference I attached a pic, pu

l
​​​​​​from the area above the key, right?
pic did not appear.
EDIT: Just took a long time to download.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:46 PM
Banned
Old 02-24-2020, 04:42 PM

Thanks racerx, I pulled it, driving home now, gonna see how it works!
​​​​​​

Old 02-24-2020, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

I just pulled fuse 43 as well and went for a little test drive.
Only in the 'burbs mind you and up the hill where I normally hit the "quiet" button to kill the drone.
I didn't seem to drone as much as I remember, and the whole exhaust sound was definitely louder, deeper and richer when prodding the go pedal.
Still just a slight burble at cruise and still screams like a banshee at WOT, but definitely sounds better.
I will leave it out for now until or unless SWMBO complains too loudly.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I just pulled fuse 43 as well and went for a little test drive.
Only in the 'burbs mind you and up the hill where I normally hit the "quiet" button to kill the drone.
I didn't seem to drone as much as I remember, and the whole exhaust sound was definitely louder, deeper and richer when prodding the go pedal.
Still just a slight burble at cruise and still screams like a banshee at WOT, but definitely sounds better.
I will leave it out for now until or unless SWMBO complains too loudly.
Stayed in loud mode the entire way home, including normal mode, quite a bit of drone at stop light but not noticeable once getting going. It was too much traffic to notice behavior at high speed cruising, but I suspect it'd be fine.

Next will be disconnecting the engine auto stop battery, once done it'd be one touch to soften the suspension for bad roads, without the annoying auto stop all while enjoying the glorious exhaust note, in one word, AWESOME!

Old 02-24-2020, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

WTF are those tools stuck on the underside of the cover?
I have nothing like them on my cover although it has the slots for them.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:59 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

They’re for raising the convertible roof if it loses power, I think.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 03:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OzXFR
WTF are those tools stuck on the underside of the cover?
I have nothing like them on my cover although it has the slots for them.
I have no clue. Convertible top crank? Do you have a coupe?

Old 02-25-2020, 03:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJS
They’re for raising the convertible roof if it loses power, I think.
We posted the same guess at the same time, what are the chances?

Old 02-25-2020, 03:11 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

It’s past your bedtime. I had forgotten that’s where they are.

When my exhaust valves became squeaky/grindy a couple of years ago, I pulled F43. Mostly liked it, except for excessive highway drone (top up), and much more noise at low revs - had to pussyfoot it through my neighborhood.

Then I got a wireless relay from a guy in the UK, with its own fob. Basically, it connects or disconnects F43 and is installed in that fuse box.

Cheaper than a new exhaust, and I’m happy running with the valves open most of the time.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member

I have no clue. Convertible top crank? Do you have a coupe?
Yep, coupe here.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJS
It’s past your bedtime. I had forgotten that’s where they are.

When my exhaust valves became squeaky/grindy a couple of years ago, I pulled F43. Mostly liked it, except for excessive highway drone (top up), and much more noise at low revs - had to pussyfoot it through my neighborhood.

Then I got a wireless relay from a guy in the UK, with its own fob. Basically, it connects or disconnects F43 and is installed in that fuse box.

Cheaper than a new exhaust, and I’m happy running with the valves open most of the time.
That's the second mention of drone. Is it the V6 thats droning? In 7th and 8th, my is V8 completely quiet in the cabin during cruise at any reasonable hwy speed, and some unreasonable.

Quick Reply: Exhaust stuck in quiet mode?