F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with ASR CB2 Valve Controller?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 07:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Experience with ASR CB2 Valve Controller?

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with the ASR CB2 exhaust valve control unit?
If you do, did you have any issues? does it work seamlessly through the Jag's active exhaust button and driving profiles as advertised?

https://asr-component.de/gb/flap-con...ntrol-cb2.html

I will be picking up my new 2024 F Type R in few weeks and am shopping for some little improvements to really get an R-rated experience from get go.
One of the first items on my list is to get exhaust to sound like its meant to be at all rpm's.
However, I would like to have that glorious exhaust on demand (can switch to quiet) and in a neat package, preferably one that is integrated with already available Jag controls.
I want it all, and i am willing to pay a significantly higher price (~600$) then with other known solutions if this unit really works.
Especially if the same controller unit also remembers to automatically disable pesky start/stop!

PS.
I am aware of the following other solutions:
- "permanently open valve" solution like pull a fuse
- "remote relay with fob controller" like the clever "claws out mod" and cc charger

Thanks you!

Last edited by Good2BeBad; 03-09-2023 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:28 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Good2BeBad
Hello,

Does anyone have experience with the ASR CB2 exhaust valve control unit?
If you do, did you have any issues? does it work seamlessly through the Jag's active exhaust button and driving profiles as advertised?

https://asr-component.de/gb/flap-con...ntrol-cb2.html

I will be picking up my new 2024 F Type R in few weeks and am shopping for some little improvements to really get an R-rated experience from get go.
One of the first items on my list is to get exhaust to sound like its meant to be at all rpm's.
However, I would like to have that glorious exhaust on demand (can switch to quiet) and in a neat package, preferably one that is integrated with already available Jag controls.
I want it all, and i am willing to pay a significantly higher price (~600$) then with other known solutions if this unit really works.
Especially if the same controller unit also remembers to automatically disable pesky start/stop!

PS.
I am aware of the following other solutions:
- "permanently open valve" solution like pull a fuse
- "remote relay with fob controller" like the clever "claws out mod" and cc charger

Thanks you!
Yey, I have this in use and its working extremely good! :-) but with Start stop Problematic have this Nothing to do, you need for that a ECU tuning File I think...
Andi

Last edited by Andi Jaguar G; 03-10-2023 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
Yey, I have this in use and its working extremely good! :-) but with Start stop Problematic have this Nothing to do, you need for that a ECU tuning File I think...
Andi
Thank you, Andi!
Got the controller ordered since it works well for main purpose: control valves.
Strange that you mention it doesn't disable Start-Stop for you. The guy in a video on ASR website shows controller automatically turning start-stop off upon start of the car (memory function).Anyway, will share the results on my once I receive and install it.

Old 03-10-2023, 08:39 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Hi I am having trouble understanding the advantage of this over and above the oem active exhaust. Make sense if you have a car without it but it’s not going to make it any louder as an open valve is already at maximum. Please enlighten me as I must me missing something

Old 03-10-2023, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Borbor
Hi I am having trouble understanding the advantage of this over and above the oem active exhaust. Make sense if you have a car without it but it’s not going to make it any louder as an open valve is already at maximum. Please enlighten me as I must me missing something
Mate, no need to worry, it's only for the V8 and even then only the late model P450 and R, us measly V6 owners can continue to bask in ignorance.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The stop/start system is child’s play to disable permanently….there are entire threads on this.

Old 03-11-2023, 03:31 AM

Thank you, Andi!
Got the controller ordered since it works well for main purpose: control valves.
Strange that you mention it doesn't disable Start-Stop for you. The guy in a video on ASR website shows controller automatically turning start-stop off upon start of the car (memory function).Anyway, will share the results on my once I receive and install it.
What Do you mean with Start Stop? Start Stop is over the ECM, and the engine will not go out, when this option is deactivated! The ASR divice make Nothing with ECM logic!
Andi

Old 03-11-2023, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

On the linked web page they say:
  • SSA memory:
The setting of the automatic start-stop system is saved and restored after the vehicle starts.
To me this means that whatever setting the start-stop system was in when you last ran the car, ie either on or off, is retained when you next start the car up.
Rather than the annoying stock system where the car defaults to "SS on" every time you start it.
Which means that once you turn the SS off it stays off indefinitely unless or until you hit the button to turn it back on, sounds like a good system to me!
Of course this is irrelevant to me as this system is available only for the late/current model V8 and I have an older V6, and I have permanently disabled the SS system anyway!

Old 03-11-2023, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
On the linked web page they say:
  • SSA memory:
The setting of the automatic start-stop system is saved and restored after the vehicle starts.
To me this means that whatever setting the start-stop system was in when you last ran the car, ie either on or off, is retained when you next start the car up.
Rather than the annoying stock system where the car defaults to "SS on" every time you start it.
Which means that once you turn the SS off it stays off indefinitely unless or until you hit the button to turn it back on, sounds like a good system to me!
Of course this is irrelevant to me as this system is available only for the late/current model V8 and I have an older V6, and I have permanently disabled the SS system anyway!
ASR means something else! With this setting, the device remembers which mode was set. If it is set to OEM, the vehicle will restart with this setting. If it was always open, then open again at the start. It simply remembers which mode was set at the end!

Old 03-11-2023, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
The stop/start system is child’s play to disable permanently….there are entire threads on this.

Yes, possible to disengage start/stop through wiring disconnections. Though I would not let children play with the wiring on my jag

On older F-type vehicles can disconnect a secondary battery and then your battery management system doesn't know what state it is, which leads to it disabling start/stop.
On new F type new vehicles can disconnect electric plug from voltage module to disable start/stop. I believe this action sets off a fault code. Though you wont see a fault code but your dealer will see it, maybe even attempt to repair it....

The above options are functional and do disable start/stop. However, they don't appeal to me due to my engineering background, I do not want to disconnect any modules on the car if at all possible.
Would rather have a logic control unit installed that allows to disable a start stop function until further notice - something i believe the ASR unit does based on the advertised "memory" function.
By the way, many other brands have such functionality added and designed in by default. Jag doesn't for some reason, guess trying to keep our memory or electrician skills sharp.
Anyway, I understand my approach is preference-based that will cost me the 600euro (hopefully not more) and may not be what others preffer. I am ok with that

Old 03-11-2023, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Borbor
Hi Borbor,

The new F Type have rev limit on when valves open, at above 3500 rpm. Pressing the active exhaust button doesnt help, at below 3500 rpm valves dont open
The European regulations on noise led to this outcome.

The following users liked this post:
itsajaaag (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyway, will share the results on my once I receive and install it.
Hey, did you get this and are you happy with it?

Old 11-24-2023, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by itsajaaag
Hey, did you get this and are you happy with it?
Yes, 6 month in and its a success, am very happy with it.
The exhaust button works as it should, can open the exhaust at any rpm and don't have to be in sports mode.
The autostart is defeated and not coming back each time I start the car, don't have to remember to press that A button.

Installation was relatively easy.
You do need to get out the bottom and side trunk cover panels in order to get to the wire harness and crimp splice the controller in.
Took me probably couple hours and most of that me being extra careful and gentle with detaching/reattaching cover panels in the trunk of my brand new jag.

The following users liked this post:
itsajaaag (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 10:45 AM

Good job! I will get this ASR module myself then. The only thing I'm not clear or concerned is forgetting the valves are closed and stepping on the gas. That's because the F-Type manual warns the valves should not be closed under hard acceleration because "things" can get damaged. Something like that if I remember correctly. How does ASR module work? Is it possible to keep the valves closed throughout the rev range and risk the damage? Or is there a safety programmed in that will force open the valves over 3500 rpm no matter what button/mode is selected by the user?

EDIT: It's the ASR website itself that warns that the valves shouldn't be closed under acceleration:
"When driving at full throttle, the flaps should not be completely closed"
Jaguar F-Type - CB2 valve flap control (asr-component.de)

Last edited by itsajaaag; 11-24-2023 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by itsajaaag
Good job! I will get this ASR module myself then. The only thing I'm not clear or concerned is forgetting the valves are closed and stepping on the gas. That's because the F-Type manual warns the valves should not be closed under hard acceleration because "things" can get damaged. Something like that if I remember correctly. How does ASR module work? Is it possible to keep the valves closed throughout the rev range and risk the damage? Or is there a safety programmed...
Module preserves the original exhaust valves logic when exhaust button is in default "off" state.
That is the exhaust valves are closed at rpm below 3500 and automatically open at above 3500+ rpm.

Old 11-25-2023, 02:04 AM

Module preserves the original exhaust valves logic when exhaust button is in default "off" state.
That is the exhaust valves are closed at rpm below 3500 and automatically open at above 3500+ rpm.
so there is safety built in after all... wonder why did ASR put out this warning then...

Old 11-25-2023, 02:08 AM

I have these installed! I have three settings. Generally open, generally closed, or like the OEM. When I'm generally closed, the flaps don't open above 3500!!!

Old 11-25-2023, 02:12 AM

I have these installed! I have three settings. Generally open, generally closed, or like the OEM. When I'm generally closed, the flaps don't open above 3500!!!
How do you switch between these three settings?
And did you give it full throttle with valves closed, did you notice anything strange?

Old 11-25-2023, 02:17 AM

I got a small handheld transmitter that looks like a garage door opener with 3 buttons. I've never given full throttle when I've manually closed the flaps. I either drive this part in OEM mode, or generally open the flaps! I also have the feeling that the system is louder in open mode than in OEM open mode! I can't explain it, but that's what it sounds like.

Old 11-25-2023, 02:27 AM

I got a small handheld transmitter that looks like a garage door opener with 3 buttons.the flaps!
oh ok, I'm getting the version without the key fob. I guess I'm supposed to control the module with the exhaust button in the central console.

Quick Reply: Experience with ASR CB2 Valve Controller?