F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiences with aftermarket exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018 | 10:04 PM
|
Default Experiences with aftermarket exhausts?

So there are a lot of great options for aftermarket exhausts out there (quicksilver, capristo, VAP, etc).

I've seen some videos comparing the sounds between these, but it's always difficult to get a true sense of how exhausts sound just from videos. Mic quality, speaker quality, how the video is recorded, etc all impact the sound a lot.

Has anyone heard the differences between these exhausts in person and have some information about how they compare to each other?

I was able to find decibel levels for the quicksilver exhaust on their website but not for the other ones.

I'm looking for something to give the exhaust a bit more deep growl without removing any of the amazing pops cracks and screams at the higher RPMs.

Old 04-18-2018 | 10:29 PM

I tried a quicksilver exhaust on a V6 Jag XE-R. Sounded great on the outside...but the interior harmonic drone exploded my head. I un-installed it the next day. So.....my only experiential advice to offer, would to be be sure to also research whether there is significant interior drone, in addition to whether you like the exterior sound.
CRS

Old 04-18-2018 | 10:38 PM
|

Ahh very interesting point! I have the convertible and the roof is open 99% of the time, so perhaps the interior drone isnt as big an issue?

Old 04-18-2018 | 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Similar experience here on my old XFR. I replaced the stock rear mufflers with after-market "straight through" ones and although the car sounded great from the outside and from the inside under WOT, at light to medium throttle under some load (eg cruising up a hill) the drone was horrible.
After about a month I couldn't stand it any longer and I put the stock rear mufflers back on. A lot quieter but no drone either!
As we know the F-Type exhaust set-up is a fair bit different to that on an XFR but the same concept would apply - too much removal of sound and/or resonance reduction and you risk horrible drone.
The test of any exhaust system is constant roughly 1/4 throttle under medium load (usually means up a hill) to see if it drones or not.
I even find that the stock system on my V6S with the active exhaust on/open drones a little under these conditions, so I usually hit the button and shut the valves.