F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Time at High Speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I always change all fluids (Brake Fluid, Engine Oil, Rear End fluid) except the transmission fluid. If I had a manual I would also change that prior to any racing. The rear end will get very hot with these sustained high speeds. It's not so much the speeds as I have driven over 180+ MPH in my XJR but the time at those supersonic speeds.

I know you will but plan to go over the car with a fine tooth comb looking at anything and everything. Even small stuff like checking the lug nut torque.
Do you have a lift? I check all suspension hardware and brakes are a focal point. The Silver State classic is very easy on the brakes so I would live with the street pads you currently have on the car. When racing I have found the brake pad requirements are much different from street use.

But most of all post some racing pictures after you complete the event!!

Old 01-06-2022, 09:55 AM
Received 99 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
That's because it doesn't exist. The EU regulation states that the speedo is tested at 3 speeds, 40, 80 and 120 km/hr. The difference
between the indicated speed and the true speed at each of these points must not be negative (ie it can't show a speed lower than the
actual speed) and not more than 10% + 4km/hr above the actual speed. (In English this means at a true 25mph it can read up to 30mph, 50 mph it can read up to 57.5mph and at 75mph up to 85mph.)
Oh it does exist. Law enforcement in the states usually don't bother writing tickets for speeding 10 mph over posted speed limit, unless you are driving like an ******* or in a school zone..

The following users liked this post:
Nodnarb (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 10:24 AM
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthSider
Oh it does exist. Law enforcement in the states usually don't bother writing tickets for speeding 10 mph over posted speed limit, unless you are driving like an ******* or in a school zone..

In California, the minimum is 10 over lol. 20 on the freeway.

ferrral (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

65 MPH* and it felt as if we were standing still.

* with my wife in the car!

I have to drive with the speedo switched to km so I don't get accused of speeding.
She doesn't believe in the 10MPH over rule either.
If she learns to convert, I'll have to put tape over the speedo.
To clarify, the fastest I've been with my mother in the car was 105, the fastest I've been in the car without a passenger is another matter. We were going through the Central Valley and it was straight, flat, and boring. Even the trucks go 85 there. Interestingly, I got the best fuel economy I've ever recorded in in the car on that trip. The outward leg was 160m, averaging 69mph and 26.9mpg. It would have been better were it not for the last five miles or so of surface streets.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:11 AM

Lizzardo, your statement was very clear and I'm serious about top speed of 65 with the wife in the car. If she rode along all of the time, I would have to sell the car. Luckily I get my kicks on the flat and straight farm roads, which are a couple of miles away. I have reached 130mph in quick spurts.

ferrral (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 424 Posts

"Never over 70, officer."

ferrral (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

Officer: Didn't you see that the speed limit is 65 miles per hour?

F-Type Driver: Yeah, but I wasn't planning to stay out that long!

^^ "Dad Joke" of the day.

The following 2 users liked this post by Carbuff2:
ferrral (01-06-2022), SouthSider (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 01:37 PM

If I was a cop and someone said that to me, I'd laugh and give him a pass.

Carbuff2 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Lizzardo, your statement was very clear and I'm serious about top speed of 65 with the wife in the car. If she rode along all of the time, I would have to sell the car. Luckily I get my kicks on the flat and straight farm roads, which are a couple of miles away. I have reached 130mph in quick spurts.
Too funny! That is my life also. My wife and I fight EVERY time she rides with me in any car...And she always says "I am never riding with you again"...and stays mad at me for a while. She also gets mad at how frustrated I get at other drivers poking along. NOW...the best part of this, is when I am in her car with HER driving(She mainly drives her Porsche Cayenne S), she drives just as fast as me and gets aggravated with everyone on the road that isn't going fast …And no...I do not open my mouth...Not that dumb...Haha

DC

The following 3 users liked this post by Therock88:
89 Jacobra (01-08-2022), JgaXkr (01-06-2022), SouthSider (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

This is why I love my wife:

After my first HPDE, the organizers let us have a 'co-pilot' for a few laps.

My wife screamed the entire time...but afterwards, she said "THIS IS FUN".

Old 01-06-2022, 05:27 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
My wife screamed the entire time...but afterwards, she said "THIS IS FUN".
Hence the entry instructions you should give passengers: "Shut your eyes and scream if you want me to go faster."

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
Carbuff2 (01-07-2022), uncheel (01-11-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

On the very first Lobster Run in Maine, I had only had the car for about a year and had not really given it a workout. Especially with my wife with me as she always said I drove too fast, But on the first morning during the event we all left as a group from Portland heading up north on the outstanding Maine interstate highways. About 12-13 Ftypes and I was on the tail end. Well suffice it to say we started really moving on a nearly empty highway and I just happened to look down at one point. My wife was with me and she asked, “how fast are we going”? At first I was reluctant to answer honestly given her past comments from years of marriage. After a brief hesitation I decided to just tell her the truth…125mph. She looked at me stunned for a second and then said the words that were magic…”it’s really smooth and doesn’t feel that fast”! From that point on I had zero worries and she has always enjoyed the pace of the “events”.

uncheel (01-11-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Too funny! That is my life also. My wife and I fight EVERY time she rides with me in any car...And she always says "I am never riding with you again"...and stays mad at me for a while. She also gets mad at how frustrated I get at other drivers poking along. NOW...the best part of this, is when I am in her car with HER driving(She mainly drives her Porsche Cayenne S), she drives just as fast as me and gets aggravated with everyone on the road that isn't going fast …And no...I do not open my mouth...Not that dumb...Haha

DC
We can fight quite a bit during a 5 or 6 hour trip. She sometimes starts crying. Very stressful. We take the crew-cab on trips because she feels safer. She hates semi trucks, doesn't like passing them or driving next to them, especially when there is a concrete barrier. But it's ok to follow them at the speed limit even though you can't see if traffic is slowing down ahead. Its like following a big billboard. If an exit is coming up in 3 miles I have to get over NOW. But if we come up to a smelly diesel all rules rules are void, I have to take action immediately at whatever speed. LOL
You would swear there are brakes on the passenger side. I'm surprised she doesn't pull the grab bar off the door.
Don't suggest flying, she hates flying even more.
Three vehicles and no sports car on a road trip equals one low mileage F-type V8.

Therock88 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
On the very first Lobster Run in Maine, I had only had the car for about a year and had not really given it a workout. Especially with my wife with me as she always said I drove too fast, But on the first morning during the event we all left as a group from Portland heading up north on the outstanding Maine interstate highways. About 12-13 Ftypes and I was on the tail end. Well suffice it to say we started really moving on a nearly empty highway and I just happened to look down at one point. My wife was with me and she asked, “how fast are we going”? At first I was reluctant to answer honestly given her past comments from years of marriage. After a brief hesitation I decided to just tell her the truth…125mph. She looked at me stunned for a second and then said the words that were magic…”it’s really smooth and doesn’t feel that fast”! From that point on I had zero worries and she has always enjoyed the pace of the “events”.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:45 PM
Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Hence the entry instructions you should give passengers: "Shut your eyes and scream if you want me to go faster."
lol, I’m going to have to remember this one!

SouthSider (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 08:51 PM
Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

I always drive super carefully w my girlfriend in the car. And she appreciates that. But she knows I like to push the car when I'm alone and she did have some issues. She asked why I drive fast, among other things and I said, quite honestly, "I need to be bad sometimes." To my surprise she said, "Ah. I totally get that. Why didn't you say so?" Not the answer I expected.

Be safe, fellas.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrral
I always drive super carefully w my girlfriend in the car. And she appreciates that. But she knows I like to push the car when I'm alone and she did have some issues. She asked why I drive fast, among other things and I said, quite honestly, "I need to be bad sometimes." To my surprise she said, "Ah. I totally get that. Why didn't you say so?" Not the answer I expected.

Be safe, fellas.
I found that I settled down significantly on the street when I started racing. The appeal of everyone going in the same direction and someone waving a flag to warn me of problems I couldn't see yet is hard to play down.

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
Carbuff2 (01-07-2022), Michael211 (01-08-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Boy those are funny stories and reminds me of a drive with my Mom right after I got the XJR tuned and pullied. Is that a word??
She kept saying how smooth and quiet the car was and I kept upping the speed. This out in eastern Oregon in the middle of nowhere pretty much. Hwy 20 for those that drive in that area.
Finally she asked how fast we were going and I said 135 mph. She said it does not seem like it.

She asked no more questions but did say when we got back home she was quite sure she had never gone 135 in a car before!

ferrral (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 12:30 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Paced on the interstate with a 997....no traffic and warm mild afternoon.
Touched 141mph quickly and I clicked it off back to 85 mph (Utah)..
I prefer rating 1/4 mi drags:
NITRO HARLEY. 7.01 ET. 197.41MPH
NOSTALGIA FUEL ALTERED: Really Quick

Therock88 (01-07-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 03:35 PM
Received 93 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrral

Be safe, fellas.
There are a lot of ways to read that response.

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael211:
ferrral (01-08-2022), SouthSider (01-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Extended Time at High Speed