F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior and Interior Protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:31 PM
Received 132 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Exterior and Interior Protection

Please help me remember......................when I signed the paperwork for the car, they mentioned something about a protective spray (????) that they could put on the inside and outside of the car. Unfortunately, there was not time to do it. Asked my local dealership about it, and they had never heard of it!!!!!! I would like to have it done. Sounded like a clear bra, but sprayed on?????????????????????

What have you done to protect the inside/outside of the car?

THANKS

Old 12-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

You did the right thing by not having it done. Most of those types of things that a dealer tries to sell you do little other than emptying your pocket and adding to their profit.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dogbreath!:
911Königin (12-18-2017), Burt Gummer (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 02:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its dealer installed, it could be a number of products. CilaJet is something they use in the LA market and others—if you paid for it already, you should get what you paid for obviously. If you didn’t pay yet, you might think twice about getting it done at the dealership from a cost perspective. They usually bundle the inside protection with the paint protection and jack the price up. Dealers have to eat too I suppose.

The following users liked this post:
911Königin (12-18-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,308 Likes on 899 Posts

Agree with comments above re paint protection. I was going to get Pomponazzi (sp?) which has reviewed well over here but it isnt as though you can have it put on then forget it, you have to maintain it with the semen of unborn unicorns every third full moon and so on, it sounded like it wasnt that much different to giving my car a bi-monthly wax with Meguairs ultimate liquid wax at a fraction of the cost.

A few of the guys swear by Sonax products which I had found difficult to source over here. After giving my daughter's car a go with Carpro CQuartz (good result but next time I'll pay a professional, it is super hard work) I have been using Carpro Reload on my cars at half strength on the inside and out for about 6 months. It is really easy to put on, and the results have been spectacular - I get people commenting often. Now I have a cupboard full of carpro products so it will be a while before I get to test the Sonax.

911Königin (12-18-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

What you heard about was nothing like a "clear bra". Rather it was more like a paint "treatment". Some of these are available for $50 if you do it yourself. In many cases, that is the same "product" they are selling at the dealers for $995. Obviously, not worth it. I would consider something like CZ Quartz for the exterior paint protection. it's essentially just a polymer coating like a high end polish rather than anything that prevents chips and scratches

Buy whatever you may want aftermarket. The plastic/vinyl clear bras can be bought for the front for 50% of what a dealer would charge. Interior "protection" is often little more than spraying a "scotch-guard" type of product on the interior surfaces. I personally would NEVER do that to my interior.

911Königin (12-18-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Karen, I agree with the folks who advised to not purchase the dealer protections. Then, depending on your interest and skills, I'd recommend learning about some of the vendors and products available to protect those surfaces. Personally I have embraced the Car Guys line, applying their various products to my ride.
And on prior Jaguars we used "Hide Food"for the interior leather protection. Two years back, I asked my dealer for a new jar, and he was stumped -- it is now known as Leather Protection. Apparently some lawyer worried that a dopey consumer would actually eat the stuff!
Good Luck and keep us posted!

911Königin (12-18-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 479 Likes on 323 Posts

Before I bought my F-Type, I replaced my wife's Cadillac Suv with another. Just a precaution..
In both instances, as we were completing the sales, the closing involved a variation of "now don't you want to protect your nice new car's exterior, interior, tires, wheels, etc. with these one time good deals that we can provide at a special price right now while you are signing out?". It was done at a time when the buyer has the euphoria of the deal in mind, and after all, you had just spent $60-$100K, what is another $1k? And of course the wife is sitting there saying , "don't you want to take care of my nice new car?" This was once known as the 'Bum's rush'.
I think the entire thing is just a scam to pump up the salesman/dealers end profit, but then I am just a dumb buyer, what do I know?? At least on my car I did my own nano coating and interior treatment. Of course I also have a rack of products from Griot and AutoGeek costing about as much as what the dealer would have charged, but I can use them several times, and I know that they will be applied, not just be told that they are applied.

911Königin (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Received 132 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, it was at the closing..................$1K to spray on something to protect the paint and leather. Would take an hour to apply and 4 hours to dry - did not have time. Have not done anything yet, but would like to. But, since it seems destined to be a garage queen in the winter, there may not be a rush................

Old 12-20-2017, 02:29 PM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want to do it properly, go to a reputable shop and get Ceramic Pro applied. And it will easily cost 4 figures to have it applied the correct way. It's not a marked up from $50...the cost is in the labor and expertise to apply it. Done right, they actually do a full paint correction first. That alone takes a few to several hours depending on the condition of your paint. Then the application of the coating takes a few to several hours itself. Done right, it's worth every penny if you care about your car's finish. It makes washing easier and protects the clear coat from a lot of scratches and swirls.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

sinjen is pretty spot on with cost. $1000-$1800 on average is the cost to prep, paint correct and coat a vehicle. of that cost, you have maybe $100-$300 in material costs depending on the brand of coating you choose. most of your cost is labor as it is very labor intensive.

depending on the condition of the paint (even brand new cars need heavy correction in most cases), you're looking at between 10-20 hours in prep work, polishing and applying the coating. i was about 12ish hours in prep and polishing on my car and the paint was in very good condition. a pro with an helper and all of the correct polishers could probably get it done in 1/3 to 1/2 of the time. i had to hand polish some small areas because i didn't have a 1-2" polisher.

the coating piece actually goes by pretty quick - i can typically do an entire car in about an hour. most coatings take about an hour or two to cure before a 2nd layer can be applied or topped (if your brand requires this), then want 24 hours before they see any kind of water.

edit: here is an extreme example of new car prep that matt from obsessed garage did on his new gt3rs. this is the last video with the cost breakdown in a 19 part series.

Last edited by ShaunPA; 12-21-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Now I have a cupboard full of carpro products so it will be a while before I get to test the Sonax.
Hey Bruce, remember when I mentioned that the trick to sonax is a secondary slick layer. Guess what, carpro now has a identical product. Basically they too have gone to the 2 coat system

BruceTheQuail (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,308 Likes on 899 Posts

That would be "Gliss"? I take it that "Jizz" was trademarked!

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...gliss-50ml-kit

Queen and Country (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Yeah the AU version seems to priced like it was.
https://www.carpro-us.com/latest-arr...-30ml-kit-new/
what the video below proves is how grabby coatings normally are.

BruceTheQuail (12-21-2017)