Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ PASS toll problem ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Hi guys,
I tried using my valid EZ PASS transponder while driving through a highway toll and for some unknown reason, my EZ PASS box doesn't work. I keep it inside the car and place it onto the inner windshield as I approach the toll but the EZ PASS system keeps telling me, EZ PASS not read. Unpaid toll. I keep going through tolls without paying. Then several days later I receive a letter asking for payment plus a fine amount for this infraction. My car is a 2017 car. Can anyone shed some light on the problem. I call EZ PASS customer service to complain but they keep telling me that my account is in good standing and there is no problem from their end. What's going on ???
Thanks.
I have a 2016 so windshield is not an issue. However, if your vehicle is registered the license plate should be read as you pass through and there should no penalty. I'm sure this has happened to me with my Harley and to the best of my recall I've seen the bike on my statement with no penalty assigned nor have I ever received a letter asking for payment.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Gsp
I have a 2016 so windshield is not an issue. However, if your vehicle is registered the license plate should be read as you pass through and there should no penalty. I'm sure this has happened to me with my Harley and to the best of my recall I've seen the bike on my statement with no penalty assigned nor have I ever received a letter asking for payment.
I think depends upon your state

Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
I think depends upon your state
Here in MD (as in NJ, apparently), no penalty if the plate is registered to an EZpass account.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

a) they have exterior transponders you can get that are meant to be mounted within the grill or under the car, etc. Here's your EZ pass: https://www.ezpassva.com/pdfs/bumpinstruc.pdf

b) on the west coast, the transponders are obsolete as the algorithm reads your plate and identifies your car, without the transponder (except for carpool lane toll areas, possibly)

I'm sending all mine back, as I quietly suspect the fastpass technologies have algorithms that have quickly surpassed the need for the capital investment of physical hardware, but there's a revenue line in their P&L that has them making a LOT of money off lost/non-returned transponders. They've accidentally set up a revenue stream around the hardware, and they can't ditch it now. I suspect the makers of the hardware themselves are lobbying hard to make sure this doesn't become public knowledge.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but it's patently obvious transponders are redundant, but there's enough of an economy around them, they are slow rolling their obsolescence.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for me, I prefer using Uproad app in such cases without being afraid I can be charged for the tolls. It's a great tool, especially when you use toll roads a lot.