Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-type=cop magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts
Default F-type=cop magnet?

So I finally was able to go out for a test drive in the S awd and R. It's frigid cold here so was taking it easy. 3 minutes into the drive in the S, I down shifted into 2nd using paddles as I came up on a stop sign, see non descrip car coming to my left but plenty of distance, pull out, pop into 3rd and there's a good distance between me and this car. I did not exceed speed limit. Turns out it's an under cover cop or detective (fairly well dressed). Says "I know you have a fast car but you shouldn't pulled out in front of me"). After explanation that I've been in the car 3 minutes and a glaring look at the salesman, he let's me go.

Is this the future if I get into an f-type, car wasn't even red? The noise in the R is sure an attention getter too. You don't even have to go fast to get that attention.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
So I finally was able to go out for a test drive in the S awd and R. It's frigid cold here so was taking it easy. 3 minutes into the drive in the S, I down shifted into 2nd using paddles as I came up on a stop sign, see non descrip car coming to my left but plenty of distance, pull out, pop into 3rd and there's a good distance between me and this car. I did not exceed speed limit. Turns out it's an under cover cop or detective (fairly well dressed). Says "I know you have a fast car but you shouldn't pulled out in front of me"). After explanation that I've been in the car 3 minutes and a glaring look at the salesman, he let's me go.

Is this the future if I get into an f-type, car wasn't even red? The noise in the R is sure an attention getter too. You don't even have to go fast to get that attention.
What color was the F-Type? My subdued colored BRG gets no special attention from the gendarme.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:07 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Maybe he had nothing better to do. Here in Los Angeles, police do look at you, especially when down shifting, however here they are more interested in catching real criminals and pulling over riced out Hondas.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
What color was the F-Type? My subdued colored BRG gets no special attention from the gendarme.
Black with black wheels.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TwiztOG43
Maybe he had nothing better to do. Here in Los Angeles, police do look at you, especially when down shifting, however here they are more interested in catching real criminals and pulling over riced out Hondas.
I suspect you're right, the R does startle ( or scare) but if I was driving a Prius would he have bothered?

Old 02-14-2016, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Black with black wheels.
Can't get much more subdued (or subtle) than that.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:34 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah, I had an orange Corvette for 7 years, now an orange F-Type and you do have to be careful in an orange sports car. Managed to get one ticket in the Corvette.
Larry

Old 02-14-2016, 07:12 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

OP,
So you getting one?
Hopefully, you went in there educated

Old 02-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I've never been stopped in my R and I do speed.

I do think the car garners more attention from cops because it's a sports car and loud. If you want a low profile with cops but a fast car you would be better off with something like an XFR or an XJR.

However in your case I think it's not the car but the fact you pulled out. Cops hate that! It's happened to me before in a Chevy Malibu rental car.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kief
OP,
So you getting one?
Hopefully, you went in there educated
Heavily educated by gracious members of the forum I'm considering it seriously. Unfortunately they only had a vertical R and I'd get a coupe, and I'm sure the coupe drives differently in R form. Vert seemed cramped to me. Coming from a V8, the S didn't feel right to me. The V8 has totally different feel with instantaneous acceleration, as you all know. My one concern is if I can get used to the size of the car as a daily driver as I am larger than most. I would get the R coupe is my thought. I'm going to try to get another test drive in a coupe R next weekend. The closest dealer is 90 minutes so it's not the most convenient for test drives.

I was suprised to learn that the adaptive dynamics are not individually configurable for each component as in BMW and Audi. Only can configure combinations of steering, suspension, throttle, either on or off.

Would consider one of the grays or silver, with some red in the interior. Beautiful car you guys are driving. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by jaguny; 02-14-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
I've never been stopped in my R and I do speed.

I do think the car garners more attention from cops because it's a sports car and loud. If you want a low profile with cops but a fast car you would be better off with something like an XFR or an XJR.

However in your case I think it's not the car but the fact you pulled out. Cops hate that! It's happened to me before in a Chevy Malibu rental car.
I expect you are right, I may have startled the guy.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:37 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Have yet to be pulled over in my Salsa ticket-me Red V6S, after 3 years and 23K miles. Had some close calls, where the trooper could have tagged me, but went for someone else.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

15+ years in a red Vette, no tickets. A few years in a red Porsche, no tickets.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Have yet to be pulled over in my Salsa ticket-me Red V6S, after 3 years and 23K miles. Had some close calls, where the trooper could have tagged me, but went for someone else.
I'm just lucky, first try, maybe that will be it.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I suspect you're right, the R does startle ( or scare) but if I was driving a Prius would he have bothered?
No, and that's the thing. Your getting the F-Type for the experience and the attention it gets, whether it's the general public or police. You just have to live with it.

If that wasn't the case, you would probably be driving a Prius like you have said.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Your story reminds me of a past experience ....

Back when I had my BMW M5 with DINAN S3 package, I was driving home going down my road. It is a lake front community with most homes facing the lake. Many of the residents jog around the lake road and as I was going approx. 20 mph a husband and wife were jogging and the super loud exhaust on my BMW made the jogger guy yell at me, saying... Hey, slow the hell down. Again, I'm only doing about 20 mph but the exhaust screams like a NASCAR vehicle . I stopped my car to see just how much of a tough guy he is, he wouldn't look at me and instead his spouse took over the argument and tried to scold me about the sound of my BMW. It's something I'll never forget. My point, the RType will attract negative attention from police and residents but I say, who cares !!!!

Old 02-14-2016, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Back when I had my BMW M5 with DINAN S3 package, I was driving home going down my road. It is a lake front community with most homes facing the lake. Many of the residents jog around the lake road and as I was going approx. 20 mph a husband and wife were jogging and the super loud exhaust on my BMW made the jogger guy yell at me, saying... Hey, slow the hell down. Again, I'm only doing about 20 mph but the exhaust screams like a NASCAR vehicle . I stopped my car to see just how much of a tough guy he is, he wouldn't look at me and instead his spouse took over the argument and tried to scold me about the sound of my BMW. It's something I'll never forget. My point, the RType will attract negative attention from police and residents but I say, who cares !!!!
Actually the nice thing about the F-Type is that a judicious and considerate use of the throttle in a situation (residential neighborhoods) such as you described results in an acceptably quiet exhaust. It is loud on engine start-up, but once started can be driven very quietly if one is so inclined.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-14-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I've only had the "Arrest Me" Red V8S for 1.5 months with no second looks from the constabulary. In fact, I've never been so much as pulled over in the SLK, C63, or CTS-V. I did get lit up on the bike once doing 80 in a 55. I signaled, moved over to the right lane preparing to pull over. The cop moved over with me, then turned off his lights.

Haven't had a ticket in over 40 years. Maybe that's because I drive like a little old lady (sometimes from Pasadena).

Old 02-14-2016, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

As a long ago former law enforcement officer my take is based on why I would pull someone over. It was hardly ever the car they were driving vs the way they were driving it. Over aggressive actions or just plain safety issues were always primary. Speeding was more in context to traffic flow unless it was clearly out of bounds speeds that just plain risked others. That usually was around 20+ over the posted speed give or take the leeway 3-5mph most people get. Risky moves right in front of me when it should be obvious I was there just made me think the driver was stupid or distracted which was a double whammy reason to stop them. I can honestly say I never pulled anyone over just because of the vehicle they were driving but we all can point to times when someone driving a very expensive car doing ridiculous things full deserved everything we could throw at them if their attitude matched their actions.

Had my V8s for 7 months and so far just have had appreciating stares, the occasional wave and head turns. Fingers crossed that continues.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mbourne:
Foosh (02-14-2016), jaguny (02-15-2016), Unhingd (02-15-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 06:30 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't think I will ever get a ticket in the F-Type thanks to the caring Drivers of mainly German Cars around here who act as decoys for the Cops.
For instance, if I have one waiting at a light next to me they take off like a scalded Cat the instant it turns green. I never race anyone, I normally pull up to them 10 seconds later at the next red light, the funny thing is, they do it again because for some reason they think I'm gonna race them this time. I don't.

It's so funny. Have you ever faked out a Dog with a ball? You pretend to throw it and they go sprinting off and suddenly realize it's still in your Hand. That's what it's like.

Quick Reply: F-type=cop magnet?