Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type AC gone mad

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F Type AC gone mad

Hello there
My FType AC seems to have lost the plot.
the Fan speed is all over the place when on auto or not.
the temp is also all over the place.

When I start the car the AC comes on and cools if I have it set to 21 for example, after a few miles it decides you must be cold and boasts hot air even when it’s roasting outside.
sometimes the reverse happens I can be in the car and the fan slows down on a cold day and it starts randomly blowing cold air at various fan speeds.

I checked and this car doesn’t appear to have a variable resistor to swap out or I cannot find it.

does anyone have any idea what the problem could be or how to fix it, it used to work brilliantly when on 21 for example now it doesn’t seem to know if it’s hot or cold in the car

Old 07-14-2023, 04:03 PM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Some sort of temperature sensor? It appears your A/C works OK - it can blow cold air, just not when you want it to. I would focus on whatever sends temperature readings back to the A/C unit telling it when to blow cold air.

Old 07-14-2023, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Jaguars used a small aspirator fan located near the steering column behind a small grille to draw cabin temperature air across a sensor. These were fitted on all Jags up to and including the models immediately before the F-Type (including the X150) but I cannot picture where such a fan is located on the X152 but it will be located either on the steering column shroud or nearby on the dash panel.

In any case, the part number for the F-Type cabin temperature sensor is T2R3569.

Last edited by sov211; 07-14-2023 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
Jaguars used a small aspirator fan located near the steering column behind a small grille to draw cabin temperature air across a sensor. These were fitted on all Jags up to and including the models immediately before the F-Type (including the X150) but I cannot picture where such a fan is located on the X152 but it will be located either on the steering column shroud or nearby on the dash panel.

In any case, the part number for the F-Type cabin temperature sensor is T2R3569.
Hello there, thank you for your advice, It does indeed sound like its the sensor which Is much cheaper than the entire control unit.
I have found the small grill round opening at about the 8 o clock position when looking at the Stearing wheel.
What is the way to remove the trim under the wheel correctly to get to this part and remove it.

I also wonder if its possible to test this part with a multi meter.
I will today remove the sensor if I can take the trim off and it might fix things.

Cheers
​​​​​​​

Old 07-15-2023, 02:49 AM

Scrap that its at the 9PM location on the dash, I started to remove the panel below the Stearing wheel and noticed that its behind the middle bit below the Instrument panel.
Now to search for a video on that

Old 07-15-2023, 04:13 AM

Hello There
Things I learnt today that might help someone else

You dont get to it from behind the infotainment system even if it looks like you do
To get to the cabin air sensor you have to take the bit below the instrument cluster off along with the footwell panel
these use T20 and T30 screws for the footwell panel and the part below the instrument panel pops off with a trim removal tool and a little wiggling.
the part number for the FTYPE 2014 is EX53-19C734-AA
Mine was clogged up with fluff etc

I broke it when taking it out so if it want the fault i need to replace it anyway but I plugged it back in.
£55 replacement part from Jag

After a good clean the fan spins freely and a good drive will tell me if this was the problem.

Cheers

Last edited by Sean_JAG; 07-15-2023 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:00 AM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean_JAG
Hello There
Things I learnt today that might help someone else

You dont get to it from behind the infotainment system even if it looks like you do
To get to the cabin air sensor you have to take the bit below the instrument cluster off along with the footwell panel
these use T20 and T30 screws for the footwell panel and the part below the instrument panel pops off with a trim removal tool and a little wiggling.
the part number for the FTYPE 2014 is EX53-19C734-AA
Mine was clogged up with fluff etc

I broke it when taking it out so if it want the fault i need to replace it anyway but I plugged it back in.
£55 replacement part from Jag

After a good clean the fan spins freely and a good drive will tell me if this was the problem.

Cheers
Let us know how this turns out! I have some weird AV issues from time to time as well.

Old 07-18-2023, 02:37 PM

Hello there
so after a new days of driving with the sensor hanging out as I have to order a new one and collect tomorrow I can confirm the AC is working normally.
Its set to 21 and cooling and heating as and when needed.
I dont think it was the thermostat originally it was broken inside the dash or had become disconnected from the part that gets air from the dash along with the fan being clogged up after ten year.
£55 fix rather than a garage investigating and perhaps replacing another part first.

The following users liked this post:
scm (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 03:32 PM

Hello there
so after a new days of driving with the sensor hanging out as I have to order a new one and collect tomorrow I can confirm the AC is working normally.
I dont think it was the thermostat originally it was broken inside the dash or had become disconnected from the part that gets air from the dash along with the fan being clogged up after ten year.
£55 fix rather than a garage investigating and perhaps replacing another part first.
Thanks for the update!! I'll take a look at this on my car and see if it's clogged as well!

Old 07-18-2023, 04:21 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for coming back and posting the fix! It will help someone in the future

Old 09-09-2023, 11:04 AM

Hello there
Since I have owned this car the AC has been a bit wonky and never seemed to know what fans speed or temp to blow. Got a new compressor installed, had it tested and recharged, all to no avail. It would also sometimes not work at idle, blowing warm air until you left the stoplight and got underway. There were no faults and nothing anyone could detect, it just didn't work right.

I just went the car armed with a qtip dipped in isopropyl alcohol and a a small vacuum cleaner and fixed the issue in about 6 minutes. I was able to remove the trim piece by grasping and pulling, then two T15 screws remove the housing and sensor. I vacuumed the sensor, stuck the dry end in the sensor fan blades and pulled out clumps of lint, then followed up with the damp qtip. Got it back together and now the AC works as intended.

Thanks again for the original post - I'm not sure I would have gotten to this solution on my own, and the dealership certainly never would have.

The following users liked this post:
DJS (09-09-2023)