F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Active Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default F-Type Active Exhaust question

Questions for V6/V6S owners with Switchable Active Exhaust.

After extensive searching, I've found a car with my desired build, but it does not have the switchable exhaust option.

1. Is this a "must have" option? I loved it on the demo car.

2. How often do you use it once the initial weeks of ownership have passed? Often / occasionally / never?

Trying to decide to go with a car on the lot that is otherwise perfect, or to custom order and wait 2 months.

Appreciate any feedback, pulling the trigger one way or the other this weekend.

Cheers!
John

Last edited by JackMac; 06-17-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-17-2016, 11:41 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Note that there's Active Exhaust, and Switchable Active Exhaust. My car (2014 V6S) had active exhaust, but not switchable. So it only kicks in under heavy acceleration. Fine most of the time, but switchable would be fun occasionally. For example, if I rev it in park, that's not enough to engage active exhaust, so I don't get much in the way of fun sounds, since I can't manually switch it on.

Those of us with active exhaust, love it. I guess the advantage is that it can be quieter - apparently, the base without active exhaust is loud all the time (if I represent Foosh correctly.)

Old 06-17-2016, 11:43 AM

Ah I see. Referring to the "switchable" version. I've clarified the original post.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...xhaust-111745/

It's a redundant feature. When you switch to dynamic mode, active exhaust activates. As far as I know the only advantage of active is that you can open the baffles in non-dynamic mode.

Why would this be important? Use the Dynamic switch as your Active switch. If your dead set against the other modes that get activated in Dynamic, you can even modify what happens in Dynamic in the My settings.

To answer your question, get the best deal car regardless of this feature. For me, only an option like Pano roof or vision pack truthfully would be option deal breakers. Most option differences you'll come to see between cars are mostly minor things like - red seat belts, wheel locks, black package, active exhaust, and auto hatch opener. You can live with or without these or in some cases you can fix after the fact (black pack, wheel locks for instance).

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-17-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...xhaust-111745/

It's a redundant feature. When you switch to dynamic mode, active exhaust activates. As far as I know the only advantage of active is that you can open the baffles in non-dynamic mode.

Why would this be important? Use the Dynamic switch as your Active switch. If your dead set against the other modes that get activated in Dynamic, you can even modify what happens in Dynamic in the My settings.

To answer your question, get the best deal car regardless of this feature. Only an option like Pano roof or vision truthfully would be option deal breakers. Most option differences you'll come to see between cars are mostly things like - red seat belts, wheel locks, black package, active exhaust, and auto hatch opener. You can live with or without these.
There is some misinformation in this post. In base cars or cars without the switch, there are no valves to be closed. The exhaust is open all the time.

Think of the feature more as the ability to quiet the thing down, and I do appreciate it on road trips where less cabin noise is desirable.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-20-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
There is some misinformation in this post. In base cars or cars without the switch, there are no valves to be closed. The exhaust is open all the time.

Think of the feature more as the ability to quiet the thing down, and I do appreciate it on road trips where less cabin noise is desirable.
You know, a Jag salesman told me this very thing. I had completely dismissed his words and you are right.

I own a R and I am only speaking from a R perspective.

In that case, personally I would say, since I drive in dynamic mode all the time just to hear the exhaust, the very same answer.

An interesting thing about the exhaust note in dynamic mode you need to know is that its easy to keep it subdued in daily driving. You really have to work the gas pedal and tach to make her sing. It won't ever be a bother in terms of unwanted noise unless you force the issue. You didn't mention whether the cars are auto or manual but I'll assume auto because you probably would have said manual. If you drive in auto mode and not smart mode, you'll be very happy having the active exhaust defaulted on.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-17-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:24 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

on my test drive on the motorway I found the active exhaust a little droney (obviously not so when you're playing) - so just switched it off
to me thats an important option

Old 06-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac
Questions for V6/V6S owners with Switchable Acrive Exhaust.

After extensive searching, I've found a car with my desired build, but it does not have the switchable exhaust option.

1. Is this a "must have" option? I loved it on the demo car.

2. How often do you use it once the initial weeks of ownership have passed? Often / occasionally / never?

Trying to decide to go with a car on the lot that is otherwise perfect, or to custom order and wait 2 months.

Appreciate any feedback, pulling the trigger one way or the other this weekend.

Cheers!
John
Speaking, eh...writing as a 2015 V6S owner, I engage the sports exhaust system 95% of the time and relish it. Curiously, perhaps, that other 5% I actually enjoy the sounds coming from the exhaust, even as a "change of pace", not that my pace changes all that frequently. I agree that there are more important factors determining which is your best option (pun intended) but having options for your "external sound system" is a nice feature. Put that one in the check column and lots of luck. Regardless of what you end up with, chances are you're gonna love it.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:49 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

For me, switchable would be a must have. There are times when it is fun cruising around with the valves open all the time - so even at idle / low speed cruising you get a great exhaust sound.

Without the switchable active exhaust you have to "get on it" with the throttle in order to hear the exhaust bellow - meaning heavy acceleration and most likely being significantly over speed limits in suburban streets - which may not be ideal.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:51 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

+1. Most of the time, I'm OK not have switchable AE. But occasionally, it would be fun. On the Lobster Run, I was behind 3 cars which had it switched on for highway cruising. Oh my!

Old 06-17-2016, 01:58 PM

Great feedback everyone, thank you all. Good to see there is an active and engaged group of members here.

I'm going to place an order for a V6 w/auto, and check the box for switchable active exhaust.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
+1. Most of the time, I'm OK not have switchable AE. But occasionally, it would be fun. On the Lobster Run, I was behind 3 cars which had it switched on for highway cruising. Oh my!
What you're not telling anyone is those 3 cars in front of you were a Prius, a Hyundai, and a Mini (and not Unhingd's either). As I recall we left you in the dust....but that's only because you weren't driving..., and were generous to let someone who couldn't bring their car drive yours.

Still, my guess is you still heard the three of us F-Types even if we were already in another county.

"Can you hear me now?"

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-17-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

They only time 'loud button' is not turned on is when I drive through my immediate neighborhood early in the morning.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Great feedback everyone, thank you all. Good to see there is an active and engaged group of members here.

I'm going to place an order for a V6 w/auto, and check the box for switchable active exhaust.
You didn't make it clear as to whether or not there is a significant price difference between the cars. If not, get what you want by all means.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If it is not loud, you are not doing F-type right...

Old 06-17-2016, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
If it is not loud, you are not doing F-type right...
"Loud" is relative. So too, come to think of it, is "Fast". But I get where you're coming from.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:18 PM

You didn't make it clear as to whether or not there is a significant price difference between the cars. If not, get what you want by all means.
The car on the lot was my exact build (slightly different seat color), plus it had the black pack, design pack, and no active exhaust. So there was a small difference, but not significant.

Decided to custom order and begin the long wait

Old 06-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

The car on the lot was my exact build (slightly different seat color), plus it had the black pack, design pack, and no active exhaust. So there was a small difference, but not significant.

Decided to custom order and begin the long wait
Exactly...

Get what you want as you only have one crack at it. Your only penalty is time. Plus they'll probably be other things you can opt in such as stitch color or something.

I was under the wrong assumption that had you forgone that feature there would be a financial bonanza for you.

everyones different, had it been me I would have bought a used R with 5k miles on it for the same money. Oh yea, thats what I did do.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-17-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:46 PM

I was under the wrong assumption that had you forgone that feature there would be a financial bonanza for you.
Looking to lease, so there is some risk that the rates and residuals will change, but a small change is fine.

The car on the lot would be here fast and ensure the current rates, but that was the only advantage.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Note that there's Active Exhaust, and Switchable Active Exhaust. My car (2014 V6S) had active exhaust, but not switchable. So it only kicks in under heavy acceleration. Fine most of the time, but switchable would be fun occasionally. For example, if I rev it in park, that's not enough to engage active exhaust, so I don't get much in the way of fun sounds, since I can't manually switch it on.

Those of us with active exhaust, love it. I guess the advantage is that it can be quieter - apparently, the base without active exhaust is loud all the time (if I represent Foosh correctly.)
You did.

Quick Reply: F-Type Active Exhaust question