Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Active Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
There is some misinformation in this post. In base cars or cars without the switch, there are no valves to be closed. The exhaust is open all the time.

Think of the feature more as the ability to quiet the thing down, and I do appreciate it on road trips where less cabin noise is desirable.
Well...

It may be market specific, but in the UK it was possible to order a Base coupe with the active exhaust plus switch.

The V6S came with the active exhaust as standard, the switch was an Option.

HTH...

Old 06-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Well...

It may be market specific, but in the UK it was possible to order a Base coupe with the active exhaust plus switch.

The V6S came with the active exhaust as standard, the switch was an Option.

HTH...
Here in the US...its possible to order the same configuration as well. My car is a base coupe with the switchable active exhaust.

There is a difference in the two systems which I think is confusing people.

-Active Exhaust: No switch, when and how the exhaust valves open is based purely on the ECM monitoring driving habits and conditions

-Switchable Active Exhaust: Same as above but adds the ability to manually open and close the exhaust valve. HOWEVER...at high RPM or certain load conditions, the valves will still open even if the switch is off.

The following users liked this post:
mp51998 (06-22-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 01:16 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I've seen that before, and it certainly doesn't seem that mine operates that way. I have a fairly early car (#2600ish), and perhaps they changed the way it works. You can clearly hear the valves opening at higher revs in dynamic mode, but not much in the way of sound at low revs. I followed Jay and Lance in their 2015 V6Ss and thought the exhaust sounded more responsive than I'm used to.

Of course, I was following them. I've never been behind mine to see what it sounds like.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
This page will answer pretty much all your questions about the Active Exhaust System although its important to note the last paragraph.
This certainly is the way the valves on my car are configured. No doubt in my mind that the programming of these valves has changed between model years.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-20-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I've seen that before, and it certainly doesn't seem that mine operates that way. I have a fairly early car (#2600ish), and perhaps they changed the way it works. You can clearly hear the valves opening at higher revs in dynamic mode, but not much in the way of sound at low revs. I followed Jay and Lance in their 2015 V6Ss and thought the exhaust sounded more responsive than I'm used to.

Of course, I was following them. I've never been behind mine to see what it sounds like.
Same as mine. 2014 V8S. Putting it in dynamic mode does not open the valves 100% of the time, they remain closed at idle and with light (normal) throttle usage. They only open when using heavy throttle / above a certain rev range in both dynamic and non dynamic modes.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:46 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Right, in Tardis' document, paragraphs 4-5 and the last one are key - the table isn't quite right as it implies the valves are open all the time in dynamic.

I have the 2014 version of this document, and it looks identical. There may be an updated version for newer cars?

Old 06-20-2016, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Either way for me over the short weekend I had the car I really enjoyed the ability to switch between modes at will.
Most of the time ( ie- around 95% at least I was in Dynamic or had activated the Switchable exhaust function.....Dynamic mode seems to do that anyway )

Having said that, every now and again when driving through my neighbourhood etc I could quiet things down at will, then raise them again just as easily when I wanted.....
Such a cool function.....

Old 06-21-2016, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

My wife said too me "You mean you can turn that noise off if you want too". If you're married it may be a must have option. I use the feature everyday to drive in dynamic without the loudness for neighborhood and low profile, high speed driving. No need to alert police in higher populated areas.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
If you're married it may be a must have option.
+1. I refer to it as the "Spousal" button.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone done the "golf tee" mod to their f type? Can this even be done on this car ? For those who might not know. It's a plug that you disconnect in the trunk and makes the exhaust note louder.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MiamiFtype
Has anyone done the "golf tee" mod to their f type? Can this even be done on this car ? For those who might not know. It's a plug that you disconnect in the trunk and makes the exhaust note louder.
What are you talking about?

Old 06-22-2016, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

In the F Type it is accomplished by pressing a button in the center console. Easiest mod ever.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
...You can clearly hear the valves opening at higher revs in dynamic mode, but not much in the way of sound at low revs...
I was driving last night in sport mode using paddle shifters with the exhaust button selected in the console and while in 2nd gear, after a reasonably high rev (5k maybe) and then letting off the throttle I could hear a noise coming from the back of the car, almost like a tire making 2 rotations just before it goes into snap, crackle and pop mode. Is this the vacuum or solenoid opening, creating the noise I heard?

Old 06-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac
Great feedback everyone, thank you all. Good to see there is an active and engaged group of members here.

I'm going to place an order for a V6 w/auto, and check the box for switchable active exhaust.
I have a base manual '16. Howdy.

I don't believe I had the choice, and my base model came with non-programmable dynamic mode, and a separate switchable active exhaust that

a) turns on automatically when you go into dynamic.

b) can be turned on without dynamic.

c) YOU WILL NEVER DRIVE WITHOUT BEING IN DYNAMIC.

At least I haven't. Not sure why you would...

oh! except a sleepy wife that doesn't like your shifting, or a dog that gets car sick sitting on your lap. That's why you wouldn't use those two buttons, but thankfully, these are rare things.

YOU ENJOY YOUR CAR YOU. You will.

Oh many the base model is so loud all the freaking time. I heart it.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits

I don't believe I had the choice, and my base model came with non-programmable dynamic mode, and a separate switchable active exhaust that

oh! except a sleepy wife that doesn't like your shifting, or a dog that gets car sick sitting on your lap. That's why you wouldn't use those two buttons, but thankfully, these are rare things.

Manuals come standard with the Selectable Active Exhaust

Old 06-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits

Haha! Awesome, thanks. I actually expected to go for the manual (most of my cars are manual) but the quick-shift auto was far better than expected, and wife wants to be able to drive on occasion when we take road trips with the car.

For whatever reason, the V6 auto is the only version of the car which currently comes without Acrive Exhaust. So I plan to add the Switchable option when ordering.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JackMac

For whatever reason, the V6 auto is the only version of the car which currently comes without Acrive Exhaust. So I plan to add the Switchable option when ordering.
Good plan. The spousal unit will not want it loud all the time.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-25-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi frank here a new owner of a my16 f type s. Two questions: when I pressed the loud button on the console it blinks and then does dark, normal or not?
when I press the spoiler button when stopped nothing happens, what’s the procedure for raising the spoiler
I’m learning all about my new car
thanks
frank

Old 08-08-2019, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by frank barone
Hi frank here a new owner of a my16 f type s. Two questions: when I pressed the loud button on the console it blinks and then does dark, normal or not?
when I press the spoiler button when stopped nothing happens, what’s the procedure for raising the spoiler
I’m learning all about my new car
thanks
frank
Not normal. The loud button light should stay on until you press it again to turn it off. Perhaps the blinking is indicating a malfunction.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:18 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Not normal. The loud button light should stay on until you press it again to turn it off. Perhaps the blinking is indicating a malfunction.
Thanks that’s what I thought. My jaguar is at the dealer due to dead battery, and I will call them tomorrow with my new knowledge that this button is not functioning correctly. When I test drove this car I mentioned this to the dealer, I didn’t follow up, my bad. You know these f type better than most owners so do you think the malfunctioning button could cause a battery drain? I did have the dealer put my jag on the lift to inspect the undercarriage, they replaced two rear tires, rotors and brake pads, I also had new brake fluid. Thanks for your valuable input.
Frank

Quick Reply: F-Type Active Exhaust question