F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type - areas prone to stone chips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 10:11 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default F-Type - areas prone to stone chips?

For those of you who have driven for couple of years or couple of thousand miles and more without PPF, tell me if I’m wrong:

Areas prone to stone chips are:
1) Front bumper and nose area (before the hood starts)
2) side mirrors
3) a pillar
4) side rocker panel (specially the rear arch area before the rear wheel)

Areas with no to less than 3 stone chips are:
1) Hood
2) Roof
3) Rear bumper
4) Trunk
5) Windshield

Did I miss any area? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:07 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I’ve been planning to document mine for the forum, after 10 years and 80,000 miles with no protection. One surprising spot is the rear spoiler - I have some pretty deep chips there. I’m on the road now, but hope to post some pix in July.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
I’ve been planning to document mine for the forum, after 10 years and 80,000 miles with no protection. One surprising spot is the rear spoiler - I have some pretty deep chips there. I’m on the road now, but hope to post some pix in July.

wow! I suppose the angle it lifts and any stone flying in would hit it. How many chips have you accumulated there? I am assuming it’s a rare case compared to all the other areas mentioned above.

I really appreciate you willing to share your experience and looking forward to hearing all about it!

Old 06-17-2023, 11:25 PM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

I bought my car in September with 52k miles on it. It now has 59k miles on it, and I only have 2 chips. One on the hood, and one on a side skirt. Much worse is a gouge in the rear bumper, no idea where that came from. Also a large (over 1 square inch) patch of missing clearcoat on a side skirt. No idea how that would happen either.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by mcphill
I bought my car in September with 52k miles on it. It now has 59k miles on it, and I only have 2 chips. One on the hood, and one on a side skirt. Much worse is a gouge in the rear bumper, no idea where that came from. Also a large (over 1 square inch) patch of missing clearcoat on a side skirt. No idea how that would happen either.
At 52K miles - it didn’t have any stone chips from prior owner?

As for missing clear coat on side skirt, that’s a strange place to peel due to sun. It’s not because of stones either. I think that skirt may have been repainted and it was a bad job of coating.

sorry to hear about your rear bumper gouge :-|. The good news is both the gouge and side skirt are repairable.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:40 PM

Anyone want to share their experience based on the points above?

Old 06-19-2023, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

The only chips so far (17K miles) were on the very front of the hood (bonnet!!) picked driving through road works in Canada (approx. 7K miles).
Fortunately the Expel film protected the paint and that section of Expel was easily replaced.

Old 06-19-2023, 04:48 PM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Another area to consider if you are going to get PPF are the door sills. While not subject to stone chips they are subject to getting scuffed up when getting in and out of the car. I had my covered with Xpel when I had the car exterior done.

Old 06-19-2023, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
The only chips so far (17K miles) were on the very front of the hood (bonnet!!) picked driving through road works in Canada (approx. 7K miles).
Fortunately the Expel film protected the paint and that section of Expel was easily replaced.
When you say the very front, I assume you mean where the nose area is (before the hood/bonnet line starts….see attached image)? That area is part of the bumper

Old 06-19-2023, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by cpq100
Another area to consider if you are going to get PPF are the door sills. While not subject to stone chips they are subject to getting scuffed up when getting in and out of the car. I had my covered with Xpel when I had the car exterior done.
Do you have a metallic sill plate? My vehicle came with it and assuming that will protect it. Or do you mean the paint area below or around it is also prone to scuff?

Old 06-19-2023, 05:20 PM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I had the metallic sill plates covered not the paint.

Old 06-19-2023, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by cpq100
I had the metallic sill plates covered not the paint.
Ah, the sill plates could get scuffed? Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience!

Old 06-19-2023, 07:40 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by JagFR
For those of you who have driven for couple of years or couple of thousand miles and more without PPF, tell me if I’m wrong:

Areas prone to stone chips are:
1) Front bumper and nose area (before the hood starts)
2) side mirrors
3) a pillar
4) side rocker panel (specially the rear arch area before the rear wheel)

Areas with no to less than 3 stone chips are:
1) Hood
2) Roof
3) Rear bumper
4) Trunk
5) Windshield

Did I miss any area? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

You realize you already have the entire car covered except for the insides

Old 06-19-2023, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Borbor
You realize you already have the entire car covered except for the insides
I missed the side front quarter panels. Jokes aside, it’s where you get most stone chips due to design of the car.

Old 06-19-2023, 09:16 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Very helpful for me as my F Type is new. When I pulled her off the lot i immediately got the whole front half of the car PPF’d. I think I’ll just call them back and get the balance of the car done… including the spoiler!

Old 06-20-2023, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

JagFR: The Expel protection extends further back than your diagram to beyond the headlights, but the stone chips were in the marked area, pretty much in the center.

Old 06-20-2023, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
JagFR: The Expel protection extends further back than your diagram to beyond the headlights, but the stone chips were in the marked area, pretty much in the center.
I’ve had similar experience, although I haven’t driven it as much as you. That nose/bumper area seems to pick up everything, including bugs lol.

I’ve been wanting to put spacers (15mm). But if I do, I suspect the rear bumper side panels (by the tires) will be prone to more stone chips and I’ll have added expense of PPF’ing it.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Depending on where you live and drive this car, the stone chips issue can be pretty ugly. I live in the NE USA and winter calls for copious amounts of salt and "anti skid" ( just ground up rocks, pea sized) on the roads, expressways and back roads. The answer should be, "well just don't drive it in that weather". Sadly, that doesn't happen, because the remnants of this debris stays on the roads well into Spring weather and in some instances, you can here it bouncing off your car in June. The very most susceptible area I have found (over numerous sports cars I have owned and the F type is no different) is just in front of the rear wheel wells. I've learned to PPF and the ceramic coated (both done professionally) various parts of the car just as mentioned and and the PPF is XPEL Ultimate, but the "shotgunning" of that debris always eventually wins. The solution is not available with any manufacturer that I know off for the Jaguar, but the answer is wide front wheel splash guards (i.e., mud flaps). C7 Corvettes have a known problem in this area, but it can successfully be cured with a Canadian manufacturer who makes these wide splash guards for Corvettes...only. They work excellently, I had them installed on two of my previous C7 Z06's. I guess others have tried and successfully built their own, but I'm not handy enough to take on that project. Sadly, Jaguar never designed , built or sold front wheel well splash guards for the F type.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by tzoid9
Depending on where you live and drive this car, the stone chips issue can be pretty ugly. I live in the NE USA and winter calls for copious amounts of salt and "anti skid" ( just ground up rocks, pea sized) on the roads, expressways and back roads. The answer should be, "well just don't drive it in that weather". Sadly, that doesn't happen, because the remnants of this debris stays on the roads well into Spring weather and in some instances, you can here it bouncing off your car in June. The very most susceptible area I have found (over numerous sports cars I have owned and the F type is no different) is just in front of the rear wheel wells. I've learned to PPF and the ceramic coated (both done professionally) various parts of the car just as mentioned and and the PPF is XPEL Ultimate, but the "shotgunning" of that debris always eventually wins. The solution is not available with any manufacturer that I know off for the Jaguar, but the answer is wide front wheel splash guards (i.e., mud flaps). C7 Corvettes have a known problem in this area, but it can successfully be cured with a Canadian manufacturer who makes these wide splash guards for Corvettes...only. They work excellently, I had them installed on two of my previous C7 Z06's. I guess others have tried and successfully built their own, but I'm not handy enough to take on that project. Sadly, Jaguar never designed , built or sold front wheel well splash guards for the F type.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Initially, I planned to install 15mm spacers on my vehicle. However, upon observing and listening to the potential risks of chips in the side area, I decided against it. In my opinion, a wide splash guard would not be a favorable addition to the F-type appearance.

I was just confirming the top 3-4 places where F-type owners see stone chips. I am currently having my car professionally PPF’d and ceramic coated, but I opted not to PPF the entire car since I believe it's unnecessary. Although there is a possibility of encountering stone chips in unexpected areas (like the wing which I had not heard of till someone posted here), I am hoping for the best.

The following users liked this post:
Pupilbone (06-21-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 07:55 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

[QUOTE=JagFR;2653593]Thanks for sharing your experience!

Initially, I planned to install 15mm spacers on my vehicle. However, upon observing and listening to the potential risks of chips in the side area, I decided against it. In my opinion, a wide splash guard would not be a favorable addition to the F-type appearance.

I can well understand your concern with the appearance of the F type if splash guards (the ones that are wide enough to stick out a bit beyond the front tire) were installed. Attached is a picture of my last C7 Z06 with the wide splash guard. I was equally concerned when I had them installed until I got the car, saw it and the elimination of debris chipping in front of the rear wheel wells....can you see them in back of the front wheels? They were terrific! Sadly, no body makes the real deal wider guards for the F type.

Quick Reply: F-Type - areas prone to stone chips?