F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F- Type - AWD v 2WD. Beneficial or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
I guess it also depends on if you have a pulley and tune. I have a real hard time hooking up in 1/2/3 gears with WOT the rears spin. I have more torque and HP in my Turbo S AWD and do not have this problem. At this point, I wish I had the AWD Jag.

Walt
To each his own. Having the wheels break loose at speed in third gear is a desirable trait to some of us.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

There's a reason Porsche makes both the GT3 and the Turbo S....
Motortrend just did a head 2 head of the P1 (RWD) vs the 918 (AWD). 918 sets Laguna Seca lap record...but P1 is better driver's car...goes back to AWD vs RWD.
But honestly the F-Type is not a track car or out to set any lap records...the AWD is, IMO, purely for the wet conditions. Half the control is going through a misery, extended winter. Tons of rain/snow/ice. THAT is Jaguar's intended audience with the AWD....

Old 04-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

My SLK55 would have benefited from AWD as it was all over the place except in straight line, then it was a rocket. Not sure about "active AWD" versus Audi 40-60 full time. Talked myself out it on Ghibli as much for cost as anything else. My '08 TT 3.2 Cab. was nice with full time 50-50-AWD, car very drivable. I think the limited slip and active dynamics make the choice in the Jag hard. I suspect the V8 will benefit more than the V6, but both will do ok without AWD because of the existing tech in the drive train!

Old 04-03-2015, 01:15 AM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Having owned 3 Porsche's in the past, the thing I love about the Jag is that it is far more unique on the road. Here in NorCal, 911's are about as common as a Prius (very slight exaggeration).

Very difficult to criticize anything about the driving characteristics of a Porsche... they are awesome machines with a killer motorsports record, which they have brilliantly translated to the street. But... with the exception of the very high end (turbo, gt3), they really have gotten a bit on the boring side (personal perspective)... they are almost too good (Odd criticism, I know).

The F-Type R is a beast and is absolutely gorgeous. It makes you giggle and scares the sh*t out of you at the same time. Puts the fun back in driving for me.

I took possession in Feb '15, and have yet to see another R on the road ironically (I do see handfuls of convertibles/v6's). I love that it is far more unique.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by bjg625
My SLK55 would have benefited from AWD as it was all over the place except in straight line, then it was a rocket. Not sure about "active AWD" versus Audi 40-60 full time. Talked myself out it on Ghibli as much for cost as anything else. My '08 TT 3.2 Cab. was nice with full time 50-50-AWD, car very drivable. I think the limited slip and active dynamics make the choice in the Jag hard. I suspect the V8 will benefit more than the V6, but both will do ok without AWD because of the existing tech in the drive train!
+1

Old 04-03-2015, 09:33 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
[*]Almost 3' larger turning circle
3 foot larger turning radius? You sure, doesn't sound correct to me, that would make it a bus!

Actually that would be 1'-6" radius, but that is still huge!

Last edited by SoCalJagS; 04-03-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
3 foot larger turning radius? You sure, doesn't sound correct to me, that would make it a bus!
I questioned this as well... ???

Old 04-03-2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Joz132
I questioned this as well... ???
That sounds about right. You can only bend a CV joint so far.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS

Actually that would be 1'-6" radius, but that is still huge!
That's a bit much. Puts it at 4' larger circle than my FJ40.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
That's a bit much. Puts it at 4' larger circle than my FJ40.
And very close to my F150 Raptor Super Crew.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nookieman
To each his own. Having the wheels break loose at speed in third gear is a desirable trait to some of us.
+1

Old 04-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I suppose it is to some, but to others, wasting power on burning rubber just makes you go slower.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
I suppose it is to some, but to others, wasting power on burning rubber just makes you go slower.
Using power to get the rear loose and rotate the car is the quick way 'round many tight back road corners. There is a sweet spot in a mildly over steering RWD car. The RWD V8S is plenty fast on the street, when kept in that sweet spot.

What you are describing, the Top Gear style sideways, smoking tire, opposite lock turn is not only slow, it is also a sure way to lose one's license. There is a lot of oversteering bliss to be found in a high powered, nicely balanced RWD car long before smoke billows from the tires.

If you don't get it, get a RWD beater out on a gravel fire road and explore the phenomenon. If you get it right, you will feel you have mastered the art of driving. I've never owned a front wheel drive car and never will. My 4x4 is there for ski trips and boat launches.

Fortunately, the AWD F-type is supposed to be very rear-biased and it might not ruin the car completely. It probably will be a pretty fun ride, just not as satisfying as the RWD version.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
+1.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Fortunately, the AWD F-type is supposed to be very rear-biased and it might not ruin the car completely. It probably will be a pretty fun ride, just not as satisfying as the RWD version.
I'm coming out of a 2010 ZR1, and know I'm going to miss the aspect of RWD - because that's the only thing I've ever know in a sports car.

With that said, I'm looking very forward to playing with my new 2016 R, once I receive it later this month.

I'll report back on my opinion once I get some seat time in.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Joz132
I'll report back on my opinion once I get some seat time in.
RWD, FWD, AWD, 4WD can all be fun to drive. Each require different approaches and offer their own benefits and drawbacks. A good driver, however, can adapt very quickly.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I don't know why having your tires break loose at 60 mph is a desirable quality in a car. More like down right dangerous.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Really guys? Are we really going to play the RWD, AWD, and eventually FWD game? While we are at it how about throwing in the Full-Time 4WD system in my Range Rover and the part-time 4WD system available in other SUVs. How about the MB 6WD system in their monster truck.

If we stick to the F-Type then the RWD has is proponents as do the AWD guys. I just like the car.

I did not get the Porsche because to me it was missing a certain je ne sais qua.

I got the RWD V8 S Roadster because I wanted a car that could go topless. The AWD was not available in 2015. However, I would still have gone RWD without the roof even if an AWD version was available. It depends on what you want. I use my Range Rover Sport in the winter. The F-Type is for a nice summer drive with nothing more challenging than the odd summer shower. I do not track. I am not looking for tenths or hundredths of a second edge. For me the F-Type V8 S Topless (I mean Roadster) is perfect.

Another example. I have hunted with rifles. Most would agree that a reliable semi-auto rifle is best for hunting. However, I hunt with a recurve bow. I don't use a compound bow. I thought about using a longbow but the size gets unmanageable. I would bag more game with a semi-auto rifle. It's more efficient and I have more range. I choose a recurve bow.... It's a preference. It's harder. It's more of a challenge.

Last edited by enfield; 04-04-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

If you don't get it, get a RWD beater out on a gravel fire road and explore the phenomenon. If you get it right, you will feel you have mastered the art of driving.
Thanks for the lesson. I did master throttle-steering about 40 years ago.

How often do you see that technique used on the hairpins at LeMans, Sebring, Sears Point, Watkins Glen, etc?

Last edited by Foosh; 04-04-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

I tracked a both a 911 Turbo and an R8, both of which have AWD. Brands was damp'ish as I recall. The 911 was an absolute animal once the turbos kicked in and precise in the turn in. The R8, I felt was sterile and 'just another Audi'.

Both, though left me feeling a bit 'numb' as they seemed to do all the hard work for me, and thus why I feel AWD takes away an element of fun.

Sure, in the rain the AWD F may be able to get off the mark a tad quicker, but it won't stop you from aquaplaning and spinning.

I feel the integration of so much 'control' ultimately takes away the driver's control.

I guess we have a couple of weeks to wait before someone is brave enough to thrash their AWD (before it's run-in ;-)) to get some times.

You were right to question the turning circle - you are correct, it is 35', same as the 2WD - my mistake...just testing to see if you are paying attention ;-)

Quick Reply: F- Type - AWD v 2WD. Beneficial or not?